Bought new computer parts using chaud's advice, but it doesn't work. Please help!

My old computer died, so I decidied to replace some core components to make a new one - CPU, GPU, motherboard, and PSU. I used chaud's recommendations from a month ago and got a XFX XTR 750 as a PSU and a Z97-A motherboard. The issue I'm having is that I can't get the motherboard to power on properly. If I attach just the 24-pin power supply the computer turns on okay (although it won't provide any monitor output), but when I attach the 8-pin ATX power supply as well the computer starts to spin up, but then it makes a grinding noise and halts and the red CPU light on the motherboard displays.. and then it just restarts itself over and over. I'm at a loss for why this is happening - I have all the RAM and the GPU removed (it does the same thing if I put them in), but I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong regarding the build or if there's a problem of one of the pieces.

I'm not seeing much online about what this red light / restart issue means that can be relevant here... it just strikes me as odd that the computer turns on fine without the 8-pin supply but then it dies when it's attached. Any advice on how to approach this before I have to take the computer to a shop?

Would indicate from first impressions either a faulty/damaged CPU or the power supply providing insufficient power.
    I am not sure what other options you have to determine that without having access to alternative components to test with.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I suppose I could try connecting the old PSU to the motherboard and see what happens..

Grinding noise? Are the fans connected correctly? Are they all spinning properly and free of any cables that might be getting caught in the fins? Check the fans on the video card and the power supply as well as the motherboard, as they might be bad as well.

Also, what parts are you using for your build - mainly motherboard, CPU, and memory? Your motherboard's manual should describe what the lights mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you verify your RAM was compatible with the new motherboard?
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.

Maybe your CPU fan is faulty. I don't know what else can make grinding sounds, then reset.

The 8 pin power connector is for your CPU. Your PC won't boot without it, so it is acting as it should when you tried to power up with it removed - ie. motherboard shows power, but monitor stays blank.

When you connect the 8 pin CPU power connector you hear a grinding noise and then get a CPU fault LED and the system recycles. (that's my understanding)

My first suspicion is that your CPU fan is what's grinding, perhaps causing the CPU to overheat too quickly because the CPU fan isn't cooling the heatsink. So I would suggest first, making sure there are no obstructions hindering the fan from free spinning and second, checking to see that the CPU fan is cabled into the CPU fan connectors. I see that board has 2 CPU fan connectors, I would suggest if your CPU fan has just the one power line to use the CPU fan connector closest to the edge of the board, next to DIMM slot 1A.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...r_web_only.pdf page 1-2 - item #3 (near the top) CPU_FAN connector.

Another thought would be that your CPU is just overheating, but it is unrelated to the CPU fan (which also might not be set up correctly). I would recommend double checking that the thermal paste/tape from the heatsink is in direct contact with the CPU die. Like if the heatsink has thermal tape on the bottom, make sure to peel the protective paper...and double check that there is thermal paste in the first place, if not the lack of thermal paste is causing the issue.

So anyway, with the power loop and the CPU fault LED lit, overheating CPU would be my initial guess. good luck.

*for what it's worth, you can test with a single DIMM in slot A2. Try one DIMM and swap it with another to rule out memory issues. But no need to test with all DIMMs removed. and double check that you have good memory - "You may install 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, and 8 GB unbuffered non-ECC DDR3 DIMMs into the DIMM sockets."
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2015-04-28 at 05:30 AM.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis