Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Troubling deciding between Feral or Balance for PvE

Just like the title says, I've leveled up my druid up to 71 and want to boost him for end game. But I am conflicted on what dps spec I should roll for end game. I love feral and I love my Boomchicken, but I'm conflicted on which one to focus on completely.

Deleted
    Well, the debate which you find more fun is a debate within yourself, though I find the feral more fun, it has more depth for skill and success while the chicken is more mindless, though I'm sure some chickens find them fun for other reasons.

Undoubedly, the success of the boomkin in this current patch is huge, but that has been quite largely due to encounter design. Who knows what it will be like for HFC, and further on. Though to be fair, boomkins are pretty much equal to ferals in single target if they focus on it, with the option to be superior on AoE. So the clear answer for PvE is Chicken... but that is for now really, who knows what the future calls, by the time you level up and get geared, it might not be as relevant. I'd go with what you find more fun.

Boomkins are definitely not equal to ferals on single target. But back on topic, I personally play both, mostly boomkin but I occasionally go feral for things like Hans and Franz and Gruul, maybe Blast Furnace since my team has a lot of cleave/aoe already.

Feral, hands down!
    Last edited by Futile; 2015-04-29 at 08:14 PM.

I was going to start a similar thread but saw this one first and decided to throw my question in here. Also wondering if I should switch from boomkin to feral. I am used to playing mages and having access to a lot of burst damage. My boomkin seems slow in comparison. I used to play as feral a few years ago but stopped because I wasn't getting the timing down well enough to maximize my dps. Is feral timing still a major factor of the spec?

I want to choose now just as I hit 100 with my druid so I don't waste time gearing up the wrong spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    I want to choose now just as I hit 100 with my druid so I don't waste time gearing up the wrong spec.
    It's pretty easy to get gear for both specs, tbh.
    You just need different weapon, neck, cloak, rings & trinkets. I am fully geared w/ Boomy and got drops from my raid for Feral so I started piecing together a set for Feral.
    Bawkasaur - Feral PvE | Bawk - Feral PvE - Youtube - Twitter - Website - Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    I am used to playing mages and having access to a lot of burst damage. My boomkin seems slow in comparison.
    Boomkin has pretty insane burst at this point. I expect this to be nerfed with a not as good 2pc bonus next tier though.

Best possible solution: Have both specs and mix and match. Sure it needs more training and more gearing up, but the end result is worth it.

Deleted
    Feral all the way here, still a pain in the arse to collect offpieces so you can go feral/boomie IMO.

Deleted
    Balance is sooo boring to level and even more annoying in dungeons. By the time you cast any of your huge cast time spells the mobs are dead, also you got 0 aoe until 42.

Mine is 51 and I'm wondering at which point does it become fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ever present View Post
    Balance is sooo boring to level and even more annoying in dungeons. By the time you cast any of your huge cast time spells the mobs are dead, also you got 0 aoe until 42.

Mine is 51 and I'm wondering at which point does it become fun.
    Somewhere between 90-100, depending on when you get the SS proc perk.
    Bawkasaur - Feral PvE | Bawk - Feral PvE - Youtube - Twitter - Website - Twitch

Personally, I play both. Feral dominates balance in single target but once you get multiple targets balance really starts to shine. If you look at rank statistics for BRF, most fights where one of them does poorly, the other does very well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawk View Post
    Somewhere between 90-100, depending on when you get the SS proc perk.
    Ah crap! If I didn't know it was so good for duels and wpvp, which I do between raids, I wouldn't have bothered. Guess you can't have it all.

Balance.

http://manaflask.com/en/articles/the...ew-with-method
    What was problematic with this raid tier was that melees were, except for Rogues (survivability) and Warriors (sick execute damage) kind of useless, the bosses weren't melee friendly at all. That is why I, for example, had to play balance druid again.
    Playing feral will keep raid progress down.
    Bad survivability, cant deal decent AoE on demand, Single Target is not even best.
    If you like feral playstyle, reroll rogue.
    Last edited by mmokri; 2015-04-29 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamortykins View Post
    Personally, I play both. Feral dominates balance in single target but once you get multiple targets balance really starts to shine. If you look at rank statistics for BRF, most fights where one of them does poorly, the other does very well.
    I think people seriously underestimate how good balance is in single target at the moment. It's not top by any means, but it's a pretty strong spec all around. Maybe they're just looking at simcrafts or something, but yes it's not bad. Having a worse tier bonus in HFC will probably address that though.

I think Balance is great for people who want to be more "Needed" in raids and if they like an easier play style. In my opinion Balance is quite boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Futile View Post
    I think Balance is great for people who want to be more "Needed" in raids and if they like an easier play style. In my opinion Balance is quite boring.
    Maybe it's from having played feral for years before but these days it's not the harder spec anymore, a steady simplification over the expansions has made feral "difficulty" no longer a point of pride.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
    Maybe it's from having played feral for years before but these days it's not the harder spec anymore, a steady simplification over the expansions has made feral "difficulty" no longer a point of pride.
    Am I really seeing you try to say Balance is harder than Feral???

It isn't THAT much easier. The main differences are the removal of mangle's bleed debuff and the fact that DoTs can't be clipped as easily. You still have to be excellent at energy management and avoid refreshing things too early. Plus, bloodtalons (and even lunar inspiration) adds more complexity.

Deleted
    feral is easy, deal with it. boomkin way harder, plZ

Played Resto, Feral and Balance pretty actively depending on the tier and I can say that without a doubt Feral is probably the most fun for me. Once mastered, the damage can be insane but our AOE is seriously lacking at the moment.