Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I don't know that failure to agree to bake a wedding cake for what your faith clearly states is a sinful event constitutes "hurting" anyone. There are other bakeries that will bake such a cake.
    Baker Jesus would make the cake. There is no doubt.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    On topic: I disagree with the OP. Freedom is important.
    Why do Christians expect special treatment? Why can't they abide by the same terms and conditions everyone else is subjected to?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    Why do Christians expect special treatment? Why can't they abide by the same terms and conditions everyone else is subjected to?
    Because reasons.

Mostly god reasons.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Baker Jesus would make the cake. There is no doubt.
    Dude, baker Jesus was so cool because he was down with everybody. His cupcakes tasted divine and were never-ending. He was the man.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

I myself am a big fan of the "true believer" principle,

It's a club for people who aren't pecksniffs.

...also, how exactly is paying legal fees illegal activity? You'd think refusing to pay would be the illegal part.

And for the record, as a Christian, I would've baked the damned cake. God is seriously not petty enough to give a damn who someone bangs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Derian View Post
    ...also, how exactly is paying legal fees illegal activity? You'd think refusing to pay would be the illegal part.
    It would still indirectly support the illegal behaviour by covering the fallout.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derian View Post

And for the record, as a Christian, I would've baked the damned cake. God is seriously not petty enough to give a damn who someone bangs.
    It's illegal because the fine came about as a direct result of an illegal activity.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    It would still indirectly support the illegal behaviour by covering the fallout.
    But the charges were civil, not criminal?

Edit: nope, I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Derian; 2015-04-27 at 02:47 AM. Reason: WRONG

Ideally, any business owner should be able to refuse to provide services to anyone they want for whatever reason. Like I said, that is the ideal in my opinion. The problem is when it is extended to some and not others. Anyone should be able to refuse service to anyone for any reason, so long as they are not run by the government that is of course.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Ideally, any business owner should be able to refuse to provide services to anyone they want for whatever reason. Like I said, that is the ideal in my opinion. The problem is when it is extended to some and not others. Anyone should be able to refuse service to anyone for any reason, so long as they are not run by the government that is of course.
    Generally spoke with the firm understanding that one belongs to a group that will never face systemic racism of any great significance.

Deleted
    Does the same go for hygiene standards as long as they are not run by the goverment?

So they told the homophobic bakers that they could go fund themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    While I think it is rather stupid GoFundMe shut it down this is hilarious.
    Well actually, they were using these funds to pay a fine they got for breaking the law, and GFM apparently has it in their Ts and Cs that you can't use it for things found to be in violation of the law.

Sensible if you think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Generally spoke with the firm understanding that one belongs to a group that will never face systemic racism of any great significance.
    Not sure what you are implying here. I know allegations of systemic racism are the politically correct 'in' thing right now, but that doesn't mean you have to sink so low as to suggest they are an assumed inherent quality of all societies, or even this one. Isn't it a slippery slope to suggest that because a couple places would refuse service means that all places would begin to follow suit?

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Does the same go for hygiene standards as long as they are not run by the goverment?
    Those are some broad strokes you are taking. Mind narrowing it down a bit more?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Deleted
    Those are some broad strokes you are taking. Mind narrowing it down a bit more?
    Certain standards are necessary for everybody who operates a public buisness.

Hygiene standards are mandatory for the well being of the people so is not discriminating based on stupid shit.

This case wasn't just about the bakery's refusal to make a cake. The baker posted a document on social media containing the gay couple's private information to invite harassment.

Wait so people that support the kleins are really donating money to pay the gay couple? Interesting way to support gay marriage when you actually don't. Oh well another donation page has been opened so the irony can continue.

- - - Updated - - -

This case wasn't just about the bakery's refusal to make a cake. The baker posted a document on social media containing the gay couple's private contact information to invite harassment.
    Yeah that was when they overstepped "the right to refuse service" line and became assholes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Yeah that was when they overstepped "the right to refuse service" line and became assholes.
    Nah thats where they overstepped the asshole line and became criminal according to the court.

On topic: I disagree with the OP. Freedom is important.
    Like the freedom of GFM to refuse service to the bakery?

Homophobic criminals aren't a protected class you know :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhh, I may be too tired to understand it correctly (4am and all), but are they getting to keep what was donated to them or does the website keep it?