Bachelor thesis - Help us!

Hello fellow champions. We are doing our bachelor thesis in Marketing and we chose to focus on online gaming communities.

As a part of our thesis we are doing a study where we will try to analyze trends in the community and how marketing is different for us (we are both gamers) than for "regular commercials" (TV, billboards etc).

If you would kindly answer this questionnaire (Which of course is anonymous) it would greatly help us! It takes about 5 minutes to complete!

https://goo.gl/forms/KY8wA7dM0j

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Last edited by Pleeb; 2015-04-27 at 09:30 AM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently doing my masters degree thesis in Auditing aswell and I'll do several questionnaires so I'm gonna help you too

Very curious as to what made you focus solely on razer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    Maybe add a "I cannot say" button. Never having had a razer product I have no idea whether theyre good, but I know of the brand.

Also is showing the logo before the questionaire methodologically sound?
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2015-04-27 at 07:58 AM.

Alongside myself, I hope you get the amount of input you need!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Maybe add a "I cannot say" button. Never having had a razer product I have no idea whether theyre good, but I know of the brand.

Also is showing the logo before the questionaire methodologically sound?
    All but one of the options pages have an odd number of dots for their questions. if you have no idea you could click the middle one, as that means you're indifferent which could be bunched up with people who could not say based off of lack of info (perhaps)

Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    Yes to better increase the quality of questions we had, according to our supervisor, use a known brand ( as it makes relating to feelings and creating the questions easier ) Razer is solely used as a example brand. It is one of the more known brands as well, which makes it easier to related to what we want to study. They are shown in a lot of streams. A brand completely unknown won't have any pre-made feelings and wont be seen, so you don't know if you like it / dislike it.

As the study is going to compare several key factors we will match the attitude towards the different aspects in our questions. Whether you like or dislike razer as a brand, the answers will still be relevant and help us in determine a result.

I repeat, razer does not endorse, or pay, or anything. We are not recieving anything for using razer as a brand in this study

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    Alongside myself, I hope you get the amount of input you need!

- - - Updated - - -

All but one of the options pages have an odd number of dots for their questions. if you have no idea you could click the middle one, as that means you're indifferent which could be bunched up with people who could not say based off of lack of info (perhaps)
    You are correct. Putting the middle dot means you're indifferent. All questions should have an uneven (7) amount of dots. I just double checked and changed so they do - No answers where, however, affected by the change - Stupid mistake by me to accidental add a 8th row

I appreciate the amount of answers we've received already! (20 as we speak)

10+ Year Old Account
    A couple Several comments...

"Do not Recognize/Recognize" and "Have not heard of it before/Have heard of it" are the same question. Those are both recognition. Reputation is your opinion of the brand. I don't know if you can change it now but it's a duplicated and faulty question.

The next 5 questions are largely the same question.

"I trust this brand" is not a different question than "I trust this brand completely".. and is pretty much saying the same as "Is it good" "Does its job"... and "Never let me down" is just a bad question.

Ugh, I'm kind of going through this as I type... The celebrity thing is almost all the same questions too..

*facepalm* "I like ads on streams" is the same question as "I don't like ads on streams" if you give a slider... The other questions again are the same.

I'd seriously redo the form at this point. I highly question the value (and grade) of the thesis based off that thing. Honestly, I'd be happy to help (as I work partly in marketing for our studio, as well as taking courses as well), but the questionnaire is just cringe-worthy.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    A couple Several comments...

"Do not Recognize/Recognize" and "Have not heard of it before/Have heard of it" are the same question. Those are both recognition. Reputation is your opinion of the brand. I don't know if you can change it now but it's a duplicated and faulty question.

The next 5 questions are largely the same question.

"I trust this brand" is not a different question than "I trust this brand completely".. and is pretty much saying the same as "Is it good" "Does its job"... and "Never let me down" is just a bad question.

Ugh, I'm kind of going through this as I type... The celebrity thing is almost all the same questions too..

*facepalm* "I like ads on streams" is the same question as "I don't like ads on streams" if you give a slider... The other questions again are the same.

I'd seriously redo the form at this point. I highly question the value (and grade) of the thesis based off that thing. Honestly, I'd be happy to help (as I work partly in marketing for our studio, as well as taking courses as well), but the questionnaire is just cringe-worthy.
    Very good input indeed.
    However - When doing quantitative studies, you have to make sure that you have several questions measuring the same factor. The questionnaire is measuring attitude towards 2 factors using all these questions (answers are quantified and factor-analyzed). You will always have to have at least 3 questions asking the same thing in order for it to actually be representative for that the respondents are thinking. Which means you will have to have more than 3 questions (because when you do an alpha-test to check the validity of the answers, some questions might be ruled invalid and removed). So you are - in fact - correct that several of the questions are asking the same thing. These questions are all taken from previously used research on the topic (Doctoral level thesis') and are therefor in a scientific point of view, correct. (we have not made these questions ourselves, we are using questions used in previous research on similar topics).

It is very good input and sheds light on questions we also had in the starting stage of our studies. Not everything seems logical in academia and scientific research (but this is backed by empirical evidence). I can give you our sources in a PM if you are interested

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand that part, but usually there are more questions asked. You can't get 'quantitative data' on so few. Usually those things are like a 100-150 point things to get accurate values.

I guess I get it? But I feel like the thing is still a bit of a shoe-in, since you're neither getting quantitative, or qualitative data here.

But then, I may have no idea. I just handle network distribution stuff when it comes to quantitative analysis. >.<
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I was expecting a longer survey :P

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I understand that part, but usually there are more questions asked. You can't get 'quantitative data' on so few. Usually those things are like a 100-150 point things to get accurate values.

I guess I get it? But I feel like the thing is still a bit of a shoe-in, since you're neither getting quantitative, or qualitative data here.

But then, I may have no idea. I just handle network distribution stuff when it comes to quantitative analysis. >.<
    You are partly correct in your statement on quantitative data - however, those larger studies "usually" attempt to determine more than 2 variables. Especially when doing market research. You are often interested in both the cause for a change - what changes - and the result of that change. Since we are very narrow on what we are trying to figure out, we don't need more questions than what we have on the topics (7 on each + elimination questions and background data)

You are absolutely right to take this up as this discussion is also relevant for our studies (e.g validity). Any discussion is a good discussion in science!

Our supervisor (she has ph.d in digital marketing and e-commerce) helped us form our questionnaire and since it's based on past research and approved from her - I hope she knows what she is doing. It should be noted that the quality of a bachelor thesis seldom can be compared to that of a study published in a scientific journal - As those have several years of experience in the field and more time (11 weeks is pretty limited to be honest - A masters here is 22 weeks I think that is a much better time-span).

- - - Updated - - -

Answers are rolling in! I would like to thank all who have answered! We're still a bit short of our goal of number of respondents

Keep winning!

Deleted
    Interesting topic you got there!!
    I did the survey, good luck!

I filled out your survey. Hope that helps!

Deleted
    Maybe you should read up on some theory on how to create proper questionnaires that give you proper data.

Quote Originally Posted by David Coppershield View Post
    Maybe you should read up on some theory on how to create proper questionnaires that give you proper data.
    Maybe you should read the thread. They've stated their supervisor assisted them in creating said questionnaire.

Quote Originally Posted by David Coppershield View Post
    The questionnaire actually has quite strong academic backing and is based on numerous questionnaires on similar topics. I'd be happy to provide you with all the theories that are involved in creating in and which studies that previously used the same questions. Our Cronbachs alpha for the questions ended up between 0.75 and 0.91 which is very strong (it means the internal consistency of the questions is very high, and that the questions asked for the information we wanted) which means that the survey was good.

We are still in the early stages of actually analyzing the data, this far we have only been able to validate the quality if the data and removed any bogus answers (those that failed the control-questions(very few) or answered a to low amount of the questions so we were unable to validate the data).

The research part of the study is now complete and I thank you all for your help and assistance! We gathered close to 150 replies which satisfies the required goal by far. The demographic profile we have based on all the data collected fits into the data that Twitch and Azubu has on their viewers, which means we've got a good representation of "viewer" population.

I will update this thread with what we find out, and finally with a link to the thesis when it is published for anyone that is interested in the findings. This is, after all, quite new research on an area where little to non is done (Online streaming and marketing).