New to resto; mythic healer alt, never sure about glyphs

Greetings, joined a weekend mythic guild with my alt shaman (I am a MW monk main)

I am never quite sure when to pick what glyphs; specifically chain heal glyph and riptide glyphs.

The guide didn't have a particularly detailed explanation -- could anyone offer a breakdown on these?

Thanks in advance

Just run Spiritwalker's Focus, Healing Stream Totem and Healing Wave. If you don't have the 2 or 4 piece tier bonus, replace Healing Wave glyph with Chaining.

Riptide glyph is a throughput loss. I haven't used it once this entire expac, just get used to using riptide as soon as it's off CD.

Chaining is good if you're literally a fresh 100, as you won't have much spirit and heavy chain heal usage is out of the question. I wouldn't use it as beyond maybe Normal Highmaul.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Houselol View Post
    Riptide glyph is a throughput loss. I haven't used it once this entire expac, just get used to using riptide as soon as it's off CD.

Chaining is good if you're literally a fresh 100, as you won't have much spirit and heavy chain heal usage is out of the question. I wouldn't use it as beyond maybe Normal Highmaul.
    Glyph of Chaining is not very useful at all since it limits your potential to spam CH when its needed or when you get a 4p proc. Steer clear from that one and go with SWF and HST as Horia suggested, and most stuff is OK for 3rd slot, nothing is great. HW is one alternative, another one could be FS and situationally Purification (or whatever the name of the 2 charges on Dispel is..). The Dispel glyph should be used on Beastlord.

Using RT glyph is not necessarily a HPS loss - comparing logs from top resto raiders there's no real difference between people running EotE with another glyph than RT, RT glyph+AS, RT glyph+the mini BL talent or RT glyph+EotE. They're so close in numbers that there's no telling which one would be better or worse than another alternative. It's noteworthy that the RT glyph users don't use RT for spothealing, but rather spam out 4-5 RTs in quick succession right before a big damage spike hits, and then CH spam like it's nobody's business. Shamans using the glyph have a higher average number of CH hits/cast than people who don't use it, but I don't remember the sample size or the exact numbers - iirc it was something like 5.20 compared to 5.05 (EotE) and 4.9 (no glyph, no EotE), don't quote me on those since they only represent the trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuduka View Post
    Glyph of Chaining is not very useful at all since it limits your potential to spam CH when its needed or when you get a 4p proc. Steer clear from that one and go with SWF and HST as Horia suggested, and most stuff is OK for 3rd slot, nothing is great. HW is one alternative, another one could be FS and situationally Purification (or whatever the name of the 2 charges on Dispel is..). The Dispel glyph should be used on Beastlord.

Using RT glyph is not necessarily a HPS loss - comparing logs from top resto raiders there's no real difference between people running EotE with another glyph than RT, RT glyph+AS, RT glyph+the mini BL talent or RT glyph+EotE. They're so close in numbers that there's no telling which one would be better or worse than another alternative. It's noteworthy that the RT glyph users don't use RT for spothealing, but rather spam out 4-5 RTs in quick succession right before a big damage spike hits, and then CH spam like it's nobody's business. Shamans using the glyph have a higher average number of CH hits/cast than people who don't use it, but I don't remember the sample size or the exact numbers - iirc it was something like 5.20 compared to 5.05 (EotE) and 4.9 (no glyph, no EotE), don't quote me on those since they only represent the trend.
    The 4-5 hits before the big damage spike is exactly why some of use it. On mythic BH, it is almost incomprehensible as to why you wouldn't do it because of how valuable it is in all of phase 1 and a lot of phase 2/3 (that or EotE). That being said, it does not always have 'required' uses on the other fights but it is by no means just a 'throughput loss'. The playstyle works on some fights and does not on other fights. It also has extreme uses in certain niche healing 'comps' (i.e. underhealing) but that isn't really relevant to this topic.

Come next tier, however, less people will use it because of the change to riptide / chain heal and from our set bonuses / trinket piece we simply will not need to riptide spam really at any point whether preemptively or for actual healing (as garbage as it is).

Which is why I said it's only good for a fresh 100. Go ahead and tell me how it goes when you try to spam chain heal with no trinkets or decent spirit items.

Quote Originally Posted by Houselol View Post
    Riptide glyph is a throughput loss.
    Judging by high-end logs, AS+glyph, AS+unglyphed, and EotE+unglyphed all offer roughly the same throughput, just with different play styles. The catch is that AS+glyph has a steeper learning curve, and if you're not an experienced raid healer you're probably going to screw it up and end up doing considerably less healing than you would have if you stuck with one of the other options. But if you know what you're doing, all three options are roughly equal (EotE+glyph is however always inferior, while EM is situational).

Glyph of Chaining is not very useful at all since it limits your potential to spam CH when its needed or when you get a 4p proc.
    Perhaps more notable than how poorly it works with 4T17, Glyph of Chaining also gimps your Ascendance. It's a very strong cooldown when used properly, but with the glyph you can't cast more than three Chain Heals during those 15 seconds, which makes Ascendance rather underwhelming. Depending on your raid size and tactics, Glyph of Chaining might be worth using on some fights, but it's definitely not something you should have on all fights. It's going to handicap your healing on mostly stacked fights (or highly spread with moments of stacking) like Gruul, Oregorger, Furnace, Flamebender, Kromog and Blackhand regardless of raid size.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardiff View Post
    The 4-5 hits before the big damage spike is exactly why some of use it. On mythic BH, it is almost incomprehensible as to why you wouldn't do it because of how valuable it is in all of phase 1 and a lot of phase 2/3 (that or EotE).
    It's perfect for phase one on Blackhand, but after that there's a lot of ongoing damage and the glyph becomes a lot less appealing. It's not bad, but it's not really an obvious choice unless you're struggling in phase one and cruising through the rest.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.