Thread: Tactical RPG's

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Talking Tactical RPG's

Greetings my fellow champions!

My favourite PS1 game is probably Final Fantasy Tactics. I love that game to the death, the characters (Agrias <3, Orlandu <33333), the music, and the amazing story (one of the finest in the genre, I must say).

So, after I finished it like 3 hundred times, I was looking forward another RPG. The next logical step would be FFT Advance (GBA). To my disappointment, the game was...meh. Nothing spectacular, and the story was a complete joke. Also, the Judge mechanic...AAAAAARGH

Next up on the list, I tried the sequel, on the DS. My God. Doesn't even make me start on how much I hate FFTA2. My - freaking - God.

Well, after some bad experiences, I tried Tactics Ogre. Good game, not as great as FFT but still, I liked it.

On the DS, I tried Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. Again, good game, great graphics and soundtrack, but the story and characters are a little lame, and I still prefer Valkyrie Profile 1 (on the PS1) over this one.

I want to play the Disgaea series, they look pretty promising, and I love the art style.

But, aside from the games I talked above, what Tactical RPG's do you people like? I'm willing to discover new games in this amazing sub-genre.

See ya soon!

Many Nippon Ichi games have the same kind of feel as Disgaea, so try that one and if you like it take a look around at some of their other titles. Disgaea was my personal favorite of all of them, but for something slightly different try Phantom Brave as it removes the grid.
    One of these days, I should probably figure out a decent signature.

Jagged Alliance 2 remains the superior game on the tactical RPG-esque front with no challengers in sight.

Though I've not played FF Tactics so I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Jagged Alliance 2 remains the superior game on the tactical RPG-esque front with no challengers in sight.

Though I've not played FF Tactics so I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for.
    I heard tales about this one. One of the greatest!

But not quite what I'm looking for. This one reminds me of Desperado and Commando . I'm looking forward this kind of tactical RPG's:

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personal favorites in this genre: Super Robot Taisen series (sadly mostly only Japanese), Fire Emblem series.

Honorable mention goes to Valkyria Chronicles, which uses a tactical RPG ruleset but you manually run across the battlefield in third person perspective and take aim.

Quote Originally Posted by Momentanius View Post

But not quite what I'm looking for. This one reminds me of Desperado and Commando . I'm looking forward this kind of tactical RPG's:
    images
    First thing coming to my mind is wasteland(which is ancient, 1988 or something), and wasteland 2, which is relatively new
    Turn based combat, free movement outside of combat
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

10+ Year Old Account
    XCOM: Enemy Within might scratch your itch. Its got the same map elements along with various Soldier Classes and Equipment management, as well as outside combat Base and Research management.

Also, Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall (moreso Dragonfall) are similar games but might fall too far out of range of what you are talking about.

But not quite what I'm looking for. This one reminds me of Desperado and Commando .
    JA2 and Desperado&Commando are nothing alike. Aside from perspective and the abstract of leading a group of people
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    You might want to look into the Fire Emblem series.

Deleted
    Wasteland 2 is decent, also allow me to recommend the good ol' Temple of Elemental Evil, which is probably THE best implementation of tabletop RPG combat in cRPG form. A very nice and simple (but by no means *easy*) dungeon crawler - bugged as all hell though, so be sure to check some fan-made mods/fixes for it.

EDIT: You might also want to check the new Divinity game (Original Sin) - I found it a bit too simplistic and kinda annoying setting-wise, but it has tactical combat with some interesting tricks and nuances, e.g. synergies between spell effects and the like.
    Last edited by mmoc4588e6de4f; 2015-04-27 at 03:28 PM.

It's not quite the same as FF Tactics, but I'd suggest Shining Force II if you're willing to go with older games. Possibly the first one as well, though I never got to play it and understood II made a lot of improvements over the first one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Various Nintendo Consoles:
    - Fire Emblem Series
    - Advance Wars (even though not really an RPG)

PS 1:
    - Vandal Hearts 1+2
    - Monsterseed
    - Eternal Eyes
    - Legend of Kartia

PS 2:
    - Various Nippon Ichi SRPGS, like Disgaea, La Pucelle Tactics, Soul Nomad and the World Eaters, etc.

Deleted
    The Fire Emblem series is definitely my favourite, been playing every game since the GBA ones, including sealed sword. Have otherwise played FF Tactics for GBA and DS.
    Gotta love the whole part of building your team and getting attached to your characters.

Other than those, i guess Divinity: Original Sin (backed the kickstarter, it is an awesome game).

I have bought, but not played The Banner Saga and Shadowrun Returns, i guess i should get to that.

And on the side of probably not well known games - Luminous Arc 2. Randomly found it in a cheap games for sales pile in some store and it it really nice in all honesty. Not sure how easy that one will be to find though, it's a DS game

Off the top of my head...

Genesis:
    Shining Force 1 & 2 (also available on Steam, emulated)

SNES:
    Ogre Battle (I prefer the SNES version over the PS1 version, even though PS1 added in-battle save)

PS1:
    Vandal Hearts (great game, though I really disliked the sequel)
    Hoshigami (was OK)
    Legend of Kartia (was OK)

PS2:
    Disgaea, La Pucelle Tactics, Phantom Brave (all very good, though Phantom Brave removes the grid, so it feels different)
    Gladius (very underrated game, also available on XBOX)

PC:
    Jagged Alliance 2 (still my favorite tactics games of all time, though FFT is a *very* close second)
    X-COM & X-COM: Terror of the Deep (very good games, but I would shy away from the recent X-COM game)
    Xenonauts (what the recent XCOM game could have been if they focused on gameplay)
    Shadowrun Returns (good game, decent combat, if a little easy; haven't played the sequel yet)
    Fallout: Tactics (decent tactics game, but can be played realtime)

There are 2 games from Agarest War series available on GOG. I'd recommend going straight for Agarest: Generations of War ZERO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Greetings my fellow champions!

My favourite PS1 game is probably Final Fantasy Tactics. I love that game to the death, the characters (Agrias <3, Orlandu <33333), the music, and the amazing story (one of the finest in the genre, I must say).

So, after I finished it like 3 hundred times, I was looking forward another RPG. The next logical step would be FFT Advance (GBA). To my disappointment, the game was...meh. Nothing spectacular, and the story was a complete joke. Also, the Judge mechanic...AAAAAARGH

Next up on the list, I tried the sequel, on the DS. My God. Doesn't even make me start on how much I hate FFTA2. My - freaking - God.

Well, after some bad experiences, I tried Tactics Ogre. Good game, not as great as FFT but still, I liked it.

On the DS, I tried Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. Again, good game, great graphics and soundtrack, but the story and characters are a little lame, and I still prefer Valkyrie Profile 1 (on the PS1) over this one.

I want to play the Disgaea series, they look pretty promising, and I love the art style.

But, aside from the games I talked above, what Tactical RPG's do you people like? I'm willing to discover new games in this amazing sub-genre.

See ya soon!
    I actually really liked FFTA2 lol. Admittedly it was not nearly as good as the first FFT, but I thought it was fun all the same.

You can tried Suikoden Tactics. It has some nice mechanic additions to the game to feel different, but similar enough to FFT that you will be able to jump right in.

After reading the thread, Definitely get into X-Com. When I think of RPG, X-Com really doesn't come to mind, but when I think of tactics, X-Com fits right in. It's not high fantasy like the rest of the genre. X-Com is about an Alien invasion. But let me tell you, anytime I play a Sci-Fi game, or watch a Sci-Fi movie, I immediately get the itch to play X-Com.
    Last edited by Kathandira; 2015-04-27 at 05:44 PM.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post

If you haven't tried FFT, I would suggest you play it. Because of how old it is (1997ish), it has quite a grainy look about it. I kinda wish someone would smooth out the sprites and give a bit more up-to-date look to it, but that's probably hoping too much.

That aside, it's one of the best games ever made IMO as far as replayability, customization, story, etc. I've been playing it for some 18 years now (typically start a new game every year or so), and it never gets old. Each playthrough varies, but you could probably do the whole thing in 30 or 40 hours. The thing is the gameplay totally changes if you change what jobs you play. There are tons of "challenges" that people do to put artificial limits on how it's played, which are pretty fun. For example, you can only be a certain class or only play with X number of units or whatever. It's hella fun.

I can't suggest another game in the genre unfortunately, since FFT ruined it for me. No other games stand up (admittedly I haven't tried THAT many other games in this genre), so I haven't bothered with any others in a long time. I just wanted to give my thumbs up to the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monk/Calculator for life.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Monk/Calculator for life.
    Monk hitting for 800 damage in the early stages of FFT...Pretty balanced. But so much fun.

But nothing compares to the amazing strenght of Orlandu. Man, he's literally the most OP character in the game.

Still, Agrias is the one who stole my hearth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monk hitting for 800 damage in the early stages of FFT...Pretty balanced. But so much fun.

But nothing compares to the amazing strenght of Orlandu. Man, he's literally the most OP character in the game.

Still, Agrias is the one who stole my hearth.
    My monk used to punch twice for 999 each, and if you weren't in melee range, he would use Calculator spells to either throw a meteor or holy at anything I could reach. He used to solo BuryYoAssHill (bariaus hill).