View Poll Results: Strong should protect the weak, smart should protect the stupid?

Voters
104. This poll is closed
  • Yep, those with should help thought without

52 50.00%
  • Nope, every man for themselves

20 19.23%
  • Purge the weak

24 23.08%
  • No, I am an Island!

8 7.69%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Even if they ask for advice?
    No. Not unless I know them like real personally, and even then very rarely.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    What if stong is stupid and weak is smart??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    No, it really isn't. That's all there is to say on the matter - It's accepted scientific fact that natural selection exists and does happen. We have observed small amounts of it happening, and continue to observe it every day. How do you think we find new species of animals? They just pop out of the ground?

But again, you're only proving your own scenario wrong. You are dumb, and you refuse to allow the smart to help you, so why should we try?
    Ok YES, it really is, the debate isn't over the process, the debate is over the bullshit application as it pertains to social interaction. There is no mystic or magical fucking force that gives two shits who mates or who doesn't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No. Not unless I know them like real personally, and even then very rarely.
    Not a very helpful person then.

Strong should teach the weak to be stronger. Intelligent should educate the ignorant.

The smart can't protect the stupid as long as the stupid continue to be given power and refuse to become educated due to lack of motivation.

Deleted
    I want to crush all those below me beneath my heel while simultaneously wanting to topple those above me and throw them into the deepest pits of despair. Where does that put me?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Not a very helpful person then.
    Advice in general is almost next to EVER helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IntellectuallyChallenged View Post
    Strong should teach the weak to be stronger. Intelligent should educate the ignorant.
    Up to a point. You cannot teach the ones who do not wish to be taught.

Self-interest alone means you choose the first option.

I don't have kids. I don't have any serious health issues. I'm in the process of buying a new home. I've had some very decent job provided benefits including health, eye and dental insurances. I've had other benefits that go towards retirement and financial security.

But I also pay all of my taxes so that other people can have at least a modicum of my situation too.

I pay for the roads so big trucks can engage in commercial enterprises on our collective rights of way. I pay for kids I ain't got to go to school and become productive members of society when they mature. I pay for unwed mothers to have babies nobody wants. I pay out the ass so corporations can be the tail that wags the dog of society. I pay so that banksters can keep their homes in the Hamptons and fuck us all again in less than ten years time.

Now some of that could be better and we should fix things so that life is more equitable for everyone.

What I don't want is to walk down the street and worry about those kids coming towards me and my wife. I want to think that they aren't desperate, that their backs are not against the wall, and that they care more about the fact that they are my fellow countrymen than that they might be wearing blue or red.

I want to be able to walk passed them and share a smile and a "good afternoon" because life is good for everyone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeafmuncher View Post
    I think smart should educate the stupid and strong should train the weak.
    Agreed with this. Ignoting those that can't be teached or trained (because they have a medical condition or special circumstances, and they indeed should be supported by the strong and smart), this is how it should work.

Instead, what we get in the world is that many of the strong and smart use their power to enforce their will on others, and those that want to help others come in direct conflict with them so our society improves very slowly.

This is a fundamentally stupid question. For this, you need to define, in measurable terms, what is dumb, stupid, strong etc.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2015-04-27 at 09:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Smart should protect the stupid is just an excuse for one group of people with an oppressive ideology to try and enforce it on another. Be they Christians trying to prevent you from going to Hell, or Social Justice Warriors trying to prevent you from having privilege.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Advice in general is almost next to EVER helpful.
    You would be the one to know. I'll be sure to let the mental health, homeless, child, drug, and abuse services know.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    ...Social Justice Warriors trying to prevent you from having privilege.
    So it begins, taking a term out of its original usage and turning into your private whipping tool.

Trying to create and maintain an even playing field for all members of society hardly qualifies one as a "Social Justice Warrior." My desire for an even playing field is not ironic nor does it serve any other purpose - I actually want the playing field of life to be as fair for everyone as possible. If your privilege is based on some unfair advantage, then yeah you don't get that nor should you. The problem a lot of you have is that you think you are the "masters of the universe" because some unfair advantage has been in place so long you think you somehow deserve it.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-find?cmpid=bi

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Everyone is 'dumb' or 'stupid' in someone else's eyes, whether it's religious, political, whatever.
    Vague topic is vague.

It's the state's job to protect the stupid and weak. Civilization is what it's called.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

If you do think the strong should protect the weak why would that be limited only to physical strength? The mentally strong or more intelligent people should be tossed in with the generic pool of strong people. Sadly here in the US the strong not only rarely protect the weak they normally prey on them. Sure people think they are protecting the weaker in some cases, but normally that is somebody mentally stronger then them telling them to do something and playing on their want to help.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quill Thorn View Post
    I dont mind "protecting" the stupid as long as they are open to learning and becoming "less stupid".

What is the kind of "stupid" we are dealing with, ignorance, lack of education...?
    Some people overestimate themselves.

Meassuring real intelligence is much harder then an IQ test or the amount of years your education took. There are so many different useful forms of intelligence, and boiling it all down to logic or math is one of the dumbest things you can do.

Protecting someone in what scenario? The wilds? Surburbia? The city? Work? Social acitivies?

Its like asking: Rabbit VS Octopus: Who would win? Without determining what the contest is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    Everyone is 'dumb' or 'stupid' in someone else's eyes, whether it's religious, political, whatever.
    Vague topic is vague.
    Stop complicating it and get back to basics. I don't care about people's individual beliefs nor their eccentricities of behavior.

But I do think everyone deserves decent water, food, shelter and healthcare.

If I would do it for some retarded ward of the state, then I would do it for you too.