Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    Only thing we know for sure is that no white female character will become black. Or has there ever been one?

I prefer white eye candy anyways, good for me.
    Catwoman??

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    SNIP....

I think Channing Tatum would make an excellent Black Panther.
    I do wonder how many would lose their minds over that? Would it create the same backlash as FF has started in some areas, or worse?

NEXT UP - The Luke Cage played by John Cena.
    Last edited by quras; 2015-04-28 at 02:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Catwoman??
    We don't talk about that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I think Channing Tatum would make an excellent Black Panther.
    I think historical accuracy would be more important in that case (if you're talking about the group in real life). As for FF, it's a nonissue to me personally because they've done that story to death so many times and I just don't care about the story. But the little part of me that does care does hate retcons in lore.

This kind of stuff is why I stopped watching any comic/superhero stuff. I got sick of things being changed for Affirmative Action reasons. They had to get rid of white males because in a world where everyone is equal, they're not go enough for society. They had to meet the minority quota because, even though gender and race aren't supposed to matter, having too many white men is a problem. Screw story lines. Screw sticking to source material. Screw sticking to the entire history of characters. We must throw it all away because white men are evil, and we therefore need more equal, but somehow more-important-to-represent, characters.

They are going to continue with pointless and ridiculous changes the only thing you can do is vote with your wallet. That being said this new FF movie looks terrible anyway so it isn't going to be hard to take a pass on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    We don't talk about that movie.
    In 10 years we'll probably say the same about fant-four-stic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Peter Dinklage could play Wolverine and no-one would complain.
    That I would pay to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    Only thing we know for sure is that no white female character will become black. Or has there ever been one?

I prefer white eye candy anyways, good for me.
    Catwoman. But I prefer not to remember that terrible movie.

EDIT: Bah, someone already mentioned.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was against it at first as well, but since daddy Storm is black as well and Sue apparently is adopted in this continuity, who cares?

More importantly, I don't like the new face of Reed Richards at all. Bad to judge a book by its cover but that is one punch-worthy face.

Deleted
    I must have forgotten about all those times race got brought up in the fantastic four, or how much being white means to Johnnys character overall.

Film is out. Impressions are not positive.

"It's clobbering time" is something Ben Grimm's abusive brother used to say before he slapped him about. Comic book fans will love that.

https://twitter.com/FB_BMB/status/628681852052721664

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can't be as bad as the 1st 2 FF movies.

You cared enough to post.

whoever made the original fantastic four must be freaking out in his grave....

it is just not right..

not one bit

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Catwoman??
    Technically different version.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    I was against it at first as well, but since daddy Storm is black as well and Sue apparently is adopted in this continuity, who cares?

More importantly, I don't like the new face of Reed Richards at all. Bad to judge a book by its cover but that is one punch-worthy face.
    I would have rather a) Sue and Johnny were both black, or b) Reed were black if they're going for the "inclusive" thing. Honestly, though I can see someone like Alfred Enoch (How to Get Away With Murder) as Reed. The adoption thing just comes off as Hollywood wanting a "pretty, blonde love interest".

On the movie itself: it just does not interest me...at...all... Granted I found the first two entertaining for their cheesiness.

Stan Lee put it best when he said (and I'm paraphrasing), "If people want a Black or a Puerto Rican superhero that's great, they should create one."

The reason that so many of these classic superheroes are being retcon'd is because everyone working in that industry today is a complete hack.

edit: It cracks me up that anyone is sensitive enough about these comics to feel the need to rewrite their race anyway. One of the greatest superheroes ever created and arguably the last great one to be created, Spawn, is an original character and a Black dude.
    Last edited by GG you got me; 2015-08-05 at 02:16 AM.

Is there anything important about them being brother and sister? Does it do anything for the story? If not then why would it matter?
    This. Exactly this. How the absolute fuck is this an issue?!
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    This. Exactly this. How the absolute fuck is this an issue?!
    The only issue is that the precept governing the choice is frivolous and happens to be the relief valve that comic writers who are too incompetent to design new intriguing characters have been turning to keep their job.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really like the actor, so regardless whether it fits the comics, I'm sure I will enjoy the movie.

I was actually really happy when I read the casting, I like every one of the choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Before anyone calls racist on me that isn't what this is, its the fact that I'm addressing the elephant in the room on what makes no bloody sense from a story and character standpoint.

Just to make it clear, I have no issue with characters who even if they have been established as one skin/race color for years, in a movie format is a different one. Despite how shitty it was, I actually liked Michael Clark Duncan (rest in peace) as the kingpin in daredevil. I also like Samuel L as Nick Fury, because he's an awesome actor, and it seemed to be going along with the ultimate marvel titles as why they choose him.

However, this one, i can't get past the fact, and really it doesn't matter how good of an actor he is, having Michael B. Jordan playing the human torch in the up coming fantastic 4 movie, its hard to look past the fact that the character he is playing, is meant to be the brother of Sue Storm, the invisible woman, played by Kate Mara, who is white.

I honestly find this pretty f**king insulting. If marvel really wanted to push changing a characters race in their movieverse, to go along with the changing times of progressive culture, why the hell didn't they make Mr Fantastic or Ben Grimm black? That might have worked, but knowing the fact the two characters are meant to be brother and sister, it just screams ridiculous casting decisions.

Even if Michael B. Jordan is a good actor, it doesn't matter since the character he's meant to be siblings with is whiter then white. If they wanted to do this, why didn't they also look for a black actress to play the invisible woman?
    There is no elephant in the room. Most people don't care. So now one of them was adopted, problem solved.