Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Where was Khadgar for last 3 expansions?

Ok, I'll admit I'm not a lore nerd, I only follow main story + whatever comes into my attention. In WoD Khadgar is the main protagonist, working with both alliance and the horde, helping to save everything and everyone from the evil iron horde and Gul'dan. He is very powerful, ominpresent and seems to care about Azeroth a lot.

So where was he during WotLK, Cata and MoP? Surely Lich King, Deathwing and Garrosh were a great threats to Azeroth, so why he was nowhere to be seen, helping us in whatever way? What was he doing? Surely there must be an answer to this in some novel or side story, because it's looks rather weird, that he didn't care to help us fight against those threats, chilling in his mage tower, and suddenly in WoD, he cares so much?

It took that long to shave his beard.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

It would appear he is more concerned with fighting the legion. Surely he anticipated Legion involvement when the Iron Horde invaded Azeroth. However, this doesn't explain his absence during the Sunwell patch.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

Deleted
    Khadgar is part of kirin tor, and they were a fair bit of the story in wotlk, even if its not the most outstanding one in the game.
    MoP didnt really have much to do with him, as said he is part of the kirin tor, and was dealing with what ever they have going on instead of trying to fix pandaria, and the ally vs horde thing going on there isnt very relevant to him.

Why he wasnt part of cata, atleast as i recall, i cant explain. But there is many powerful characters in wow, and we cant have all of them be central points in every expansion.

EDIT: I remembered incorrectly, he isnt in the cinematic.
    Last edited by mmoc79d521e3a8; 2015-04-28 at 11:07 AM.

Physically he was in Outland since TBC. I don't know what he was doing there.

Story-wise it is possible that the Alliance/Horde called upon him to lead the expedition since he has fond knowledge of Draenor/Outland.

In all honestly he's just the next character to be developed further - instead of the same ol same old.. cough THRALL cough

Deleted
    Well of course it could be argued "where was the dragons when..." so it's mainly a story plot development tool. But from a lore point, Khadgar is heavily linked with Outland, he was there when the Alliance first invaded Draenor and helped put a stop to Gul'dan. After his disappointing "cameo" in BC he's probably helped out on Outland with the remaining demons/Burning Legion. Ofcourse now with the threat of AU Draenor and Gul'dan being mischievous there's no doubt he was going to show up and help!

Quote Originally Posted by MMKing View Post
    It would appear he is more concerned with fighting the legion. Surely he anticipated Legion involvement when the Iron Horde invaded Azeroth. However, this doesn't explain his absence during the Sunwell patch.
    He just didn't get screen time in Sunwell, but he was there in Shattrath with A'dal, General Tiras'alan, and Lady Liadrin. I'm sure he played some kind of role in the planning.

Khadgar's job doesn't often call for him to be 'out on the front lines' - he's busy reserching magic, watching over the Dark Portal from Nethergarde, and being a leader of the Kirin Tor.

he was learning from A'dal stuff that we will never know

10+ Year Old Account
    If you read the novel "Tides of War" you will discover that quite a while ago (even before MoP) Khadgar had left Shattrath to settle in Dalaran, as a member of the Council of Six. And of course, there at Dalaran, as an Archmage of the Kirin Tor, it is assumed that Khadgar has been very busy in matters of the Alliance, specially after the destruction of Theramore.

Khadgar is connected with Burning Legion and Draenor as a honorable Son of Lothar. So Aspect of Death tried to destroy Azeroth its ok.. we had aspects. Garrosh was just an Orc.... but when Dark Portal turns red it just get Khadgar´s attention because of the long absence of legion influence. Maybe its personal for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Busy doing what major lore characters do when they aren't marquee characters of an expansion, or supporting characters to the marquee character. I'd imagine the Cataclysm brought Khadgar back to Azeroth from Outland to assist Dalaran with whatever needed to be done in light of the events of Deathwing's rampage and subsequent fall. Khadgar was no doubt busy getting situated in Dalaran and reacquainted with Azeroth of the present during MoP, which is why he only figured peripherally in the events of Theramore's destruction. Once Jaina resigned from the unofficial post as peacemaker between the Alliance and Horde Khadgar took up her banner in WoD - becoming the unofficially unaligned agent both the Alliance and Horde worked with to halt the doings of the Shadow Council.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

You can wonder about why Heroic Character #356 doesn't involve themselves in Conflict #873, but... don't you think it's fucking stupid to make a thread about it? I mean, it's obvious why they don't partake in everything, WoW has a zillion heroic lore characters, it's impossible for Blizz to involve them in everything that's going on without screwing things up. Even explaining why each and every last one of those characters don't participate would be stupid. Just take it as it is and live with it.

He was so mesmerized by A'dal that he stood there for like 8 years.

Deleted
    Jaina was doing his role. There can be only one OP mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Splub View Post
    He was so mesmerized by A'dal that he stood there for like 8 years.
    Maybe he kept training Fel Reavers into Shattrath so he could watch A'dal punch them to death (however it was that a Naaru "punches" things) and so learn the Light's strongest power.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Khadgar is a member of the council of six, essentially making him one of the leaders for the Kirin Tor. He probably does a lot of paperwork and meetings and boring stuff.

The only reason Khadgar is getting involved is because no one has more experience with the old horde than him (save for some really old guys like Drek'thar). He was one of the leaders against the first excursion to Dreanor. So there isn't really anyone better to lead the charge then him.

He also has a vested interest in Gul'dan given everything that happened in MU. He'd probably be concerned about Ner'zhul as well, if he wasn't a push over and died quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Busy doing what major lore characters do when they aren't marquee characters of an expansion, or supporting characters to the marquee character.
    Exactly.

It's not canon that Khadgar won't help people unless it's the Legion, or that he was just chilling out doing nothing while people died. It's just that he wasn't being written during those periods, same as a million other characters. If they're pushed to explain certain time-frames, they'll come up with something, but it's going to be something appropriate. The Council of Six probably does a lot of things that require that level of power that we never hear about because they're not the focus.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    He went to Dal, I assume to study and prepare for the legion's arrival.

He was busy applying skin lotion to make himself look about 30 years younger than he should look, given his situation.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4