Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Bush's 3rd and 4th term.

We're buying new textbooks this year and as I was thumbing through full sample copies, I noticed that the vast majority of them have already put in material from Obama's first term up through the 2014 midterms. These aren't fringe or "specialized state" texts either but some of the better US History options, standard and AP.

As I suspected they would, his presidency is being painted as one of great potential, almost similarly to JFK's New Frontier that was curtailed by an often-unfriendly Congress, with a few wins like Obamacare. There is also a couple paragraphs on the use of force and actions related to the assassination of Osama Bin Laden. That photo from the observers of the event will likely be seen as one of "the" photos of his presidency if not the century. It's not all positive, for sure, as there are mentions such as the expansion of the drone program.

- His inability to NOT blame someone else for the problems he encountered during his presidency.
    - His almost childish need to lash out at critics and the whole, "Let me be clear," line that has become borderline infamous at this point.
    - His condescending smile.
    - His sheer lack of transparency as president was something akin to Nixon's era.
    - His peculiar shortcoming in not fulfilling the promises he had made.
    - His wife, her smug elitism, and terrible food program for children.
    - His expansion of our war in the Middle East and backwards strategies for manipulating the local populaces that backfired so often.

The list goes on but those will be at the top for now! As you can tell, wasn't a huge fan of Obama. He was basically the second coming of Bush only not nearly as likable on a personal level and perhaps even worse of a thought, possibly less competent at his job - at least in my humble opinion.

Being better at speeches does not make a better leader necessarily, not in this instance anyway.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2015-04-29 at 09:42 PM.
    German science is the greatest in the world!

Well I thought that Obama at the start was a cool cat and could be the solution to some of the worlds problems. Too young and Naive back then. Now I think that he is nothing more but a smooth talking coward that c make hard choices and his idea of bring democracy to the middle east if it was genuine, was a total clusterfuck. And with the attack rising attacks on black people I think Obama is a disgrace. As bad as It is to say it, but on some level, being of another race and letting the minority is understandable because they may be ignorant or even racist, but it's not at all justifiable to do so a thing. To have Obama as the president while this is happening would make Martin Luther King and Malcolm X roll in their graves. But again Obama is Bi-racial( as am I) so he has some leeway on this crap. Still doesn't make it an excuse not to deal with this ASAP.

So Yeah I have a low opinion of Obama and I think that his Legacy would be that he talked more about promises that most presidents but delivered less, thus beig more sliver tongued then most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goradan View Post
    Well I thought that Obama at the start was a cool cat and could be the solution to some of the worlds problems. Too young and Naive back then. Now I think that he is nothing more but a smooth talking coward that c make hard choices and his idea of bring democracy to the middle east if it was genuine, was a total clusterfuck. And with the attack rising attacks on black people I think Obama is a disgrace. As bad as It is to say it, but on some level, being of another race and letting the minority is understandable because they may be ignorant or even racist, but it's not at all justifiable to do so a thing. To have Obama as the president while this is happening would make Martin Luther King and Malcolm X roll in their graves. But again Obama is Bi-racial( as am I) so he has some leeway on this crap. Still doesn't make it an excuse not to deal with this ASAP.

So Yeah I have a low opinion of Obama and I think that his Legacy would be that he talked more about promises that most presidents but delivered less, thus beig more sliver tongued then most.
    When he sides with Trayvon Martin and says he could have been his son, he is racist against white people.
    When the riots in Ferguson and Baltimore happen and he calls black kids stealing stuff and burning down buildings thugs, he is racist against black people.

And people wonder why the best and brightest among us don't want to be president?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    - His inability to NOT blame someone else for the problems he encountered during his presidency.
    - His almost childish need to lash out at critics and the whole, "Let me be clear," line that has become borderline infamous at this point.
    - His condescending smile.
    - His sheer lack of transparency as president was something akin to Nixon's era.
    - His peculiar shortcoming in not fulfilling the promises he had made.
    - His wife, her smug elitism, and terrible food program for children.
    - His expansion of our war in the Middle East and backwards strategies for manipulating the local populaces that backfired so often.
    Fun Fact: Your personal dislikes do not constitute a historical legacy. You as an individual are not particularly important to history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

1. Black

2. Being a bit toothless, ie his tenure has been a bit of a snooze fest.

Yep, he was the first black president, enjoy.

He also was in power when the USA captured Osama Bin Ladin be people rarely mention that anymore and it is not like he can really take credit. Good call on the drone warfare but really I do not thing that sort of thing will be attributed to him, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Fun Fact: Your personal dislikes do not constitute a historical legacy. You as an individual are not particularly important to history.
    It's my own historical legacy concerning him and I shall pass it down to my children, cousins, their children, and so on.

So in a way, it has a broader scope. Now don't be an ass. :3

10+ Year Old Account
    It's my own historical legacy concerning him
    Which fundamentally doesn't matter.

and I shall pass it down to my children, cousins, their children, and so on.
    Unlikely, considering the percentage of millennials who despise Reagan versus their parents.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Which fundamentally doesn't matter.

Unlikely, considering the percentage of millennials who despise Reagan versus their parents.
    So because there was something of a reversal between generations in the past we'll somehow have an automatic flip and all of my offspring/kin down the line will like Obama? That sounds more unlikely than what I proposed.

Question; do you like arguing for the sake of arguing? I want to assume yes but I'll let you speak on this matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    So because there was something of a reversal between generations in the past we'll somehow have an automatic flip and all of my offspring/kin down the line will like Obama?
    Or, as is actually more likely, they won't be particularly concerned about him considering he's average as a President and will be remembered in the same fashion as say, Grover Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by Vallin View Post
    As his tenure as President draws to a close, what do you all believe will be Obama's lasting legacy from his tenure?
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    First black president.
    That's about it. He didn't actually do much of anything.
    ~RAWR!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Havik View Post
    That's about it. He didn't actually do much of anything.
    If you're a straight white male, no.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Greatest president of the 21st century.
    You cared enough to post.

Or, as is actually more likely, they won't be particularly concerned about him considering he's average as a President and will be remembered in the same fashion as say, Grover Cleveland.
    Depends on how well recorded and exhibited he is. Grover Cleveland didn't have the technology we do today to catalog and keep extensive details of him for people to view well down the line. Now that said, you didn't seem to catch on to a hint of satire in my post. If you wanted my most simple, mundane, boring answer(which should be everyone's answer) it'd be that his legacy was little more than a continuation of Bush-era policies and at best, yawn worthy. The only real memorable thing they'll recall him for is that he was our first black president.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on how well recorded and exhibited he is. Grover Cleveland didn't have the technology we do today to catalog and keep extensive details of him for people to view well down the line. Now that said, you didn't seem to catch on to a hint of satire in my post. If you wanted my most simple, mundane, boring answer(which should be everyone's answer) it'd be that his legacy was little more than a continuation of Bush-era policies and at best, yawn worthy. The only real memorable thing they'll recall him for is that he was our first black president.
    Satire implies it was humorous.

10+ Year Old Account
    His legacy? Angering the GOP hive so much, they almost imploded on themselves. First it was because he was black (let's face it, the main people are racist), then it was the birthers and his name (OSAMA?! TERRORIST!!!!11eleventyone!!1), then came the Muslim accusations and him being an antichrist. Then along the way, they hated everything he touched, breathed on, agreed with, or disagreed with. (C'mon, Fox News had a fucking week on him liking MUSTARD on a burger. Link provided below)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_198851.html <- for the lulz

Let's not even get into the whole "Benghazi" frenzy (because where were they when Bush was in office and had embassies attacked or bombed with casualties?) or the Ebola panic (conveniently before Mid-term elections) that magically disappeared off the radar. I could go on and on, but I'm at work so break time is limited.

Oh, and bonus reason why he'll forever be remembered by me, and possibly as his legacy? He was down to earth. Taking selfies with citizens, being able to reach out to others using modern formats, being able to joke at himself and his calm demeanor even though his opponents didn't deserve a bit of respect, and being an excellent orator. (inb4 Obama/Hitler referencing, which was covered by a news network... guess which?)
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I also think we've got more racial tension in the country now than at any other point in my lifetime... and that takes a while to simmer down.
    You're either very young or you haven't been paying attention.

Satire implies it was humorous.
    Was humorous for me. Didn't say it was for you. Probably shouldn't spend your time nipping at every other post in a given thread.

First President to even wade into the social media waters.

ACA

The near-treason actions of the legislature as they try to prevent the Executive from doing his job.

A presidency that could have been so much more, but then he mostly was Bush Jr 2, except on a few things like gay rights and allowing the states to decide their own marijuana legislation.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.