Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

What do you think of bad spelling and grammar?

Do you consider yourself a grammar nazi? Or do you keep silent but you still hate it? Or do you not care at all? Perhaps you're not good at spelling yourself?

Personally, I don't care about spelling where it doesn't really matter, as long as I can understand what it means. For example in text messages, forums, guild chat... What does get me, are mistakes in more 'official' writing. Blog posts, articles on websites, papers...

What about you?

Never start a sentence with "Or". Use commas you pleb.

Deleted
    In the general it depends on who is doing what to whether I am rude or instructive.

For people whose English is their primary language then I can be cutting.

For people who it is a second or third language I will not pick up on grammar unless it could be construed the wrong way to prevent them making a mistake in a more formal situation.

I don't care as long as I do not review it.

Don't care. If we're talking about English, for most people on the internet (myself included) it's not the native language so naturally mistakes are to be expected. People out of habit use grammar rules that applies to their language in other languages thus unintentionally making more mistakes.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 2015-04-29 at 01:07 PM.

Deleted
    Depends on the situation. On the internet or in informal writing or whatever it doesn't really matter. If you are writing a CV then I think it is important though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I strike down with great vengeance and furious anger.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    I can't stand people using There instead of They're and Stuff's instead of Stuffs. Those aren't excusable mistakes that can be blamed on not having English as your main language, these are stupid mistakes that just keep repeating over and over.

Also, for the love of grammar, people. It's not Should Of or Would Of, it's Should Have or Would Have. The reason you're making this stupid mistake, is because you're not english and you misheard people saying Should Of when in fact they were using the short version Should've or Would've that kinda sounded like Should Of and you thought it was right.

Deleted
    It depends on the circumstances. I don't care much for grammar apart from special occasions (in wow that would be an application to a guild).

I prefer writing with people that have proper grammar, although if someone just has a hard time with the language, and is trying their best, I don't mind if their grammar sucks.

In a forum or Facebook? Don't care.

On a report to be turned in to a professor or boss? Spellcheck you noobs

I generally don't really care, although I have a friend from high school who uses the word "to" for "too" and "two" in every single written scenario. He also uses "coarse" instead of "course" and "your" for "you're". It admittedly gets on my nerves, but who am I? I don't ever say anything because at the end of the day it doesn't matter and he is a stubborn, settled-down grown man who can do what he pleases.

I don't mind minor mistakes, especially in the context of forum posts, but when someone's generally disregarding all grammatical rules, I assume they're quite stupid. I'm rarely disappointed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I try to find the obvious mistakes and reread my posts a couple of times, but in my experience people only rage about grammar and orthography if they don't have anything else to say.

Errors in official documents etc creep me out though.

7+ Year Old Account
    i dont care much not everyone have a language as their first so its is understanding if they cant use everything right

As a writer, it tends to bother be very little. People talk or type however they want to.

My wife is a proof-reader (she took that up to help me with my writing) and she gets very annoyed whenever she picks up a spelling mistake or poor grammar, especially on letters from school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post
    Do you consider yourself a grammar nazi? Or do you keep silent but you still hate it? Or do you not care at all? Perhaps you're not good at spelling yourself?

Personally, I don't care about spelling where it doesn't really matter, as long as I can understand what it means. For example in text messages, forums, guild chat... What does get me, are mistakes in more 'official' writing. Blog posts, articles on websites, papers...

What about you?
    I feel the strong desire to arrest them with my powers as a grammar policeman. That when these people fail, they must be told in a provocative, uncompromising and condescending manner. Only then will they be able to strive towards better grammar.

Deleted
    English is my first language and I will sometimes make some of the homophonic(think that is what they are called, not sure) based mistakes despite knowing the rules. Most usually it is while gaming or posting on places such as this as I am often doing something else at the same time and rarely check what I have written before hitting enter or clicking post.

When other people drag out the mistakes of others, when the meaning is still clear, I often think, "what a pedantic tool."

10+ Year Old Account
    My grammar is the bestest! you just jelly!

I am an Engineer, I'm really good at math. Spelling and especially grammar I have always been terrible at and honestly never really given 2 shits about. I have awful handwriting and basically rely on Spell check/ grammar check to keep my emails and other typed correspondence from making me sound like a child. Luckily in my industry its common that most feel the same way I do and the world goes round smoothly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by razski View Post
    As a writer, it tends to bother be very little. People talk or type however they want to.

My wife is a proof-reader (she took that up to help me with my writing) and she gets very annoyed whenever she picks up a spelling mistake or poor grammar, especially on letters from school.
    I believe it is 'in a letter' and oddly, 'on a piece of paper.' /nonazi