Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Still no real EU servers? How is the gameplay, fellow Europeans?

Hello,

according to some internet search I did, this game still doesn't have real European servers? The servers that are marked as "EU" are still physically located in North America? (I think I read they are in Canada).

I am very interested in trying this game, but this is really putting me off. I am from central Europe, and in the past I tried playing Aion and Tera Online on their American servers, because in EU, both of those MMOs got screwed by incompetent Gameforge as publisher.
    And it was absolutely awful, with constant 250+ MS latency I had trouble even doing casual questing, I was missing ability proccs, was getting hit by AoEs etc... I can't imagine doing raids or pvp like that!

So, what is your experience of playing FF XIV, fellow Europeans, especially when doing endgame dungeons and raids?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Horymir View Post
    Hello,

according to some internet search I did, this game still doesn't have real European servers? The servers that are marked as "EU" are still physically located in North America? (I think I read they are in Canada).

I am very interested in trying this game, but this is really putting me off. I am from central Europe, and in the past I tried playing Aion and Tera Online on their American servers, because in EU, both of those MMOs got screwed by incompetent Gameforge as publisher.
    And it was absolutely awful, with constant 250+ MS latency I had trouble even doing casual questing, I was missing ability proccs, was getting hit by AoEs etc... I can't imagine doing raids or pvp like that!

So, what is your experience of playing FF XIV, fellow Europeans, especially when doing endgame dungeons and raids?

Thanks in advance for replies.
    Hey there and welcome! I be been playing for a few months and haven't had much of a problem! I think they have a built in system to counter the latency caused by the regions! The eu servers are moving to Europe some time early into the expansion as far as we know! You have to get used to the telegraph system though which you might mistake for lag! Some telegraphs especially in the early dungeons don't have animations that are perfectly synced with their respective telegraphs. If a telegraph registers you in it when it dissapears, no matter where you stand after as the animation is playing you lol still receive damage! It often looks awkward and is mistaken for lag but they be done a much better job syncing animations with telegraphs in the end game stuff!
    That being said sorry for the wall of text
    Lag should not be an issue for you!
    If you do decide to play send me a pm! Welcome to eorzea!

I live in England and play on Balmung, the unofficial role-playing server. Despite it being a US server I have no issue with lag even when participating in high end content. I'm not sure how it is for people elsewhere in Europe though.

The 2.5s gcd makes up for the latency, the only time you notice the latency is when interacting with objects such as doors, quest items etc...
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    The 2.5s gcd makes up for the latency, the only time you notice the latency is when interacting with objects such as doors, quest items etc...
    I don't even really notice that.

It's fine as long as you don't play Ninja. But it is not fine tbh... they should have made eu servers way back... it's one of the reason i stopped playing.

Homophobia is so gay.

Deleted
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
    Ninja was actually the job that I wanted to play the most :/

Deleted
    Pretty sure they said they are going to include EU servers for heavenward release?

Well... they said they were gonna give us EU servers in 2014 and we're in 2015 so I won't hold my hopes up for EU servers with the release of the expac.

About the ninja... you can play it but you'll be really hindered in your dps if the lag don't let you chain your mudra efficiently... ruining the whole ninja job.

Homophobia is so gay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    Well... they said they were gonna give us EU servers in 2014 and we're in 2015 so I won't hold my hopes up for EU servers with the release of the expac.
    I didn't recall they gave us a timescale for EU server before, just said it was "under the radar".

Whereas in London Fanfest they actually said it will be coming with Heavensward, so I myself have put my hopes in that.

I'm sorry but waiting nearly 2 years to get EU servers is really lame. It should have been their top priority but oh well.

Homophobia is so gay.

Deleted
    Playing from germany and not having much issues with the latency. Its actually like in every other mmo i played, you just have to attapt. in wow i could finish a heal cast before moving out of an aoe, in FF i have to stop the cast and move asap cause they fights are faster and punish you more... *cough* titan *cough*

10+ Year Old Account
    They probably didn't see it as a priority as the game was "playable" without the EU data centre. Would EU data centre help? Sure. Are people going to unsub without it? Probably not (at least not in material number). That is why it wasn't a priority.

I am glad we are finally getting it though.

The fights are not faster in FF... and the lag is really retarded sometimes and can screw a job (ninja). I remember when doing Titan EX... i was having issue at first getting hit by all the aoe. Then I used a VPN (WTFast) and did not get hit by any aoe and topped dps.

Homophobia is so gay.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when doing Titan EX... i was having issue at first getting hit by all the aoe. Then I used a VPN (WTFast) and did not get hit by any aoe and topped dps.
    Then you are being affected more than others. Most people can clear Titan Ex without getting hit by anything without WTFast or anything like that. I cannot say as I never had issue with lag, but if you are affected by it that much, I can see why you really need EU data centre.

As I said, the number being affected probably not material enough for them to make it a priority, hence they probably take their time to prepare for it, then pick a good time to announce it (fanfest), then pick a good time to implement it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Then you are being affected more than others. Most people can clear Titan Ex without getting hit by anything without WTFast or anything like that. I cannot say as I never had issue with lag, but if you are affected by it that much, I can see why you really need EU data centre.

As I said, the number being affected probably not material enough for them to make it a priority, hence they probably take their time to prepare for it, then pick a good time to announce it (fanfest), then pick a good time to implement it.
    Well it was back when it was released... early 2014 I think ? Maybe it got better now. But yeah. I'm not hating on the game, I really enjoy it but this lag is really making it unfun for me. That's why i'm so butthurt about the EU data centre

Homophobia is so gay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it was back when it was released... early 2014 I think ? Maybe it got better now. But yeah. I'm not hating on the game, I really enjoy it but this lag is really making it unfun for me. That's why i'm so butthurt about the EU data centre
    I didn't had problems back then either, but they have made adjustment since, I think around end of first tier, that is like, over a year ago? I can't really tell the difference as I didn't have difficulties to begin with.

I recently started the free trial. Playing on Cerberus and havent noticed any lag at all tbh.

When i talk about like, i'm not talking about 2-3 sec lag but when you play ninja... you're supposed to chain your mudra in 1,5 sec and use your final skill in between the 2sec gcd... with the lag... chaining them takes more than 1.5 sec making me lose dps because it delays my rotation. If my mudra rotation takes 2 sec (not counting the final skill) it already hinders my dps...

Homophobia is so gay.

Deleted
    When i talk about like, i'm not talking about 2-3 sec lag but when you play ninja... you're supposed to chain your mudra in 1,5 sec and use your final skill in between the 2sec gcd... with the lag... chaining them takes more than 1.5 sec making me lose dps because it delays my rotation. If my mudra rotation takes 2 sec (not counting the final skill) it already hinders my dps...
    I seriously don't know where you re getting this from as I have had absolutely 0 problems doing that when I play ninja....