Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How Mozilla And Google Can Compete With Microsoft Edge

Firefox and Chrome are old web browsers being constantly updated and I think it's time they both build new web browsers from the ground up. With Microsoft's Edge web browser being announced, a completely new web browser with full extensions and all the goodies it offers, I think Mozilla and Google will see a drop in numbers for user support.

On a side note, I'd like to see all new web browsers no longer support Java or Adobe Flash Player. With html5 being available, that should take priority over those 2 as Java and Adobe are security risks and outdated software themselves and all websites, including Facebook, need to migrate their video content to html5.

What do you guys think? Should Google and Mozilla build new web browsers or just keep updating what they have? Should html5 reign supreme?

Microsoft Edge

I don't think google and mozilla will have a problem. Sure some may switch but I think edge will carry the stigma that ie was bad so edge will be too. The fact that it is also a brand new thing means it's going to have glitches that will frustrate people and make them go back to whatever browser they were using.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves thinking microsoft has reinvented the internet browsing experience.

That said I have no particular deep love for chrome. Satisfied with using Safari on the Mac, but chrome stays on the windows desktop since well.. IE..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    Should Google and Mozilla build new web browsers or just keep updating what they have?
    Why not? It's not flawed like IE is. I use FireFox because of extensions. Specifically Adblock, NoScript, and etc. Does Microsoft Edge have this? No? Junk! Also is Microsoft making any plans to migrate this new web browser over to Mac, Linux, Android, or iOS? Cause FireFox and Chrome already do this.
    Should html5 reign supreme?
    Umm yes?

What do you guys think?
    I think Microsoft Edge is going to be a great web browser. It'll work perfectly for me to download Chrome and FireFox.

I'll stick with Firefox. Could not live without AdBlock and NoScript.

As for your other idea of browsers no longer supporting Java or Adobe Flash Player, no. Just no. I mean sure, give warnings about the security risks. Let people know that they are security risks. But leave the option there for people to use them if they choose to. I'm with you, I wish people would stop using them to make things, but I want to use some of those things that are made with it. If a browser just stopped using it, I would stop using that browser.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I think Microsoft Edge is going to be a great web browser. It'll work perfectly for me to download Chrome and FireFox.
    LOL, that about sums it up for me.

There are Always going to be people like the above poster who don't use IE, not because it is bad but because it is microsoft and it is "evil" or the "cool" kids use something else to differentiate themselves from the masses.

The only reason I have chrome on my pc is to see what all the fuss was about, for me there is no difference in speed or functionality between the 2. I have adblock on IE so I don't see a reason why it should not get ported to Edge either.

10+ Year Old Account
    More resource hungry shit forcing us to upgrade and watch unblockable ads. Chrome and Firefox are officially "old".

I do not see a particular reason to build two mature browsers from "ground up" while you can maintain it perfectly well. Not sure about Firefox but Chromium is a community project. Unless google convinces community to trash most of the work and start from scratch or spare resources, it's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    There are Always going to be people like the above poster who don't use IE, not because it is bad but because it is microsoft and it is "evil" or the "cool" kids use something else to differentiate themselves from the masses.

The only reason I have chrome on my pc is to see what all the fuss was about, for me there is no difference in speed or functionality between the 2. I have adblock on IE so I don't see a reason why it should not get ported to Edge either.
    It may have AdBlock but it does not have NoScript. There are ways within the options of IE to get NoScript like protection, but you have to add/remove sites from the safe/black list manually....one at a time. I like visiting www.goodsite.com but don't want facebook/twitter/google analytics all running on that same site to do stuff. This is insanely easy to manage with NoScript and keeps my computer much safer than AdBlock alone.

In addition to that, seeing as Firefox is not as popular as Chrome and IE, when it does have a security vulnerability(let's face it, they all do, all the time) that vulnerability will not be as targeted as much because they focus on what is used the most.

So yeah, thanks for speaking for me and saying that I think Microsoft is "evil" and that I think I'm one of the "cool" kids who needs to differentiate myself. Your very off base though.

I'll be happy if they can just harmonize their CSS3/HTML5 support so you don't need a billion (exaggeration) fuckin' meta tags and media tags and shit to force compatibility.

Though compared to IE11 and Chrome, I have the most issues with goddamn Firefox which is weird.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Most people apply with an "if it's not broken, don't fix it" approach with stuff like this and will just keep using whatever they are using.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Most of the new features revolve around Cortana. Cortana revolves around Bing.

No thanks.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

You also have ScriptSafe in Chrome.

As long has Edge has the following things, I can consider using it:

1) User-made AddOn support(AdBlock)
    2) Not forced to use Bing, AKA option to change all default search engines to Google

I'm ready to jump ship on google chrome for a new browser, sure it looks good and works well but it's a resource hog.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    So Edge allows me to draw shit on my screen? Talk about wasted resources.

Deleted
    I would consider considering the switch if it had good, always up to date linux port. Why use different browser on different systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    So Edge allows me to draw shit on my screen? Talk about wasted resources.
    Yep thats all it does, just like facebook only allows you to post pictures on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by xazark View Post
    Yep thats all it does, just like facebook only allows you to post pictures on the internet
    He meant that the time that was used making the drawing feature could have been used to make the browser consume less and less resources by optimizing how it handles idle tabs for example.

15+ Year Old Account
    If IE is any indication to how Edge will be, I say very well.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose