Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

The right to be sterilised in your 20's, her body her choice?

What's your thoughts? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...procedure.html

'I know I never want children, so why can't I be sterilised in my 20s?' Holly Brockwell has made up her mind but is fighting GPs who refuse to grant her the NHS procedure
    • Holly Brockwell, 29, says she's firm in her decision to never have children
    • Taking hormone-based contraception leaves her with severe side-effects
    • Yet several GPs have still refused her requests for a NHS sterilisation op

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post

'I know I never want children, so why can't I be sterilised in my 20s?' Holly Brockwell has made up her mind but is fighting GPs who refuse to grant her the NHS procedure
    My friend is trying to get this for herself as well. To me its just one of those things where in 10 years you'll think things you did when you were younger were really dumb.

Sure, and if she regrets it later, then that's something she also has a right to do. No guarantee that she will!
    We don't stop 20 year olds' from getting tattoos.

Also describing someone who is 29 as "in their 20s" makes them sound 9 years younger than they are...

Problem isn't whether or not she can get it done, but whether or not the NHS should pay for it. Since it's entirely elective.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post

Maybe I don't understand the issue.

It totally is her body and should be totally her choice.

Maybe the GPs are concerned about side-effects, but it's still gotta be her call in the end.

Could it be that she's allowed to have the procedure, but it just isn't funded by the NHS?
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2015-04-30 at 08:08 PM.

God the commenters on that article... /sigh.

Yes it's her right. The doctor is a moron. Why? Because he thinks hes a counselor instead of a doctor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I guess it's a dual choice. People can choose to want to get sterilized early, but doctors can also choose to not perform a procedure they deem risky or potentially damaging to the patient.

I had a friend who wanted a vasectomy when he was young(ish). He had to shop around a while to find a doctor to do it but he eventually found one.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Save a few eggs, then get this done, just incase, though I agree, it's her body, she should have a say.
    This is pretty much the solution. Then there's the option to regret it.
    Ultimately it should be her choice as long as she's not suffering from mental problems
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Probably a better idea to sterilize her if she does have a mental problem. Just sayin.
    The issue of eugenics entirely aside, what it if isn't genetic and/or she recovers :U
    This is a bad post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    In order for me to do it, I had to be 25 or older and have a child already. That was through the Military, though.
    Back in Michigan, gal wanted it done, she was 26. Doc said no, you'll want more kids. "But I have 3." Well what does your husband say about this? "I'm not married." You're going to have to wait until you're older.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's her body, she has the right to make stupid mistakes as well (if it ends up being one). That said, I do think there should be a long reconsideration period and some sessions required with a doctor through that period to make sure it's not a "I'm a teenager/early twenties and hate kids lol" things. I know a lot of people who said they never wanted kids when they were young, and have later changed their minds.

If she wants it done she can pay for it herself. The NHS (british taxpayers) should not be footing the bill for her elective operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Back in Michigan, gal wanted it done, she was 26. Doc said no, you'll want more kids. "But I have 3." Well what does your husband say about this? "I'm not married." You're going to have to wait until you're older.
    She is 29.

My uncle had a vasectomy when he was 22. He ended up joining a cult 10 years later and wanted children so he got it reversed. They ended up adopting.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Sure, and if she regrets it later, then that's something she also has a right to do. No guarantee that she will!
    We don't stop 20 year olds' from getting tattoos.

Also describing someone who is 29 as "in their 20s" makes them sound 9 years younger than they are.
    I think they wrote it that way because she has been trying to get it done since she was 26

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    If she wants it done she can pay for it herself. The NHS (british taxpayers) should not be footing the bill for her elective operation.
    This might be the core of the issue.

It happens a lot in the UK with the NHS (government funded healthcare)

People have been trying to get plastic surgery (literally, lip/butt/breast/etc implants, etc) on the NHS for years, it keeps coming up.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 'wait until she is older' excuse is bullshit. She's 29, not 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

I don't see why not. I had a vasectomy for my 22nd birthday. I'm 41 now and still don't want children.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    My uncle had a vasectomy when he was 22. He ended up joining a cult 10 years later and wanted children so he got it reversed. They ended up adopting.
    This literally made me LOL

Assuming she's mentally sound I have no problem with her choosing to make this decision. Her body, her choice indeed.

Edit: Whether the NHS should pay for it is a more interesting question. I think they should pay for it under the same criteria as birth control: IE, if they would pay for birth control they should pay for an operation that has the same effect. If not, she can pay out of pocket.
    Last edited by Xar226; 2015-04-30 at 08:17 PM.