BRF Tank Damage log Analysis/Allstars

I've been doing a series of Tank damage breakdowns from the top 3 parsing players per class on a specific boss. I feel this information is highly valuable for anyone wanting to look into the specifics of what the players are doing to parse so high, as well as possibly give you insight into playing your own class. Checkout my blog, VengeanceTanking.wordpress.com, for more!

Gruul, 2/4/2014

Deathknight

• For their talents all three take Blood Tap and Breath of Sindragosa
    • Nnogga seems to be a bit more conservative with their runic power and had near 100% uptime on Breath of Sindragosa. The other two had to cast Breath of Sindragosa only one extra time, and this correlates with when they had low runic power; not that this seems to have affected their damage much. All three are also using the Glyph of Icy Runes for more runic power.
    • All three use their Bonus Armor potions on the pull with Lust and again around 20%. Jellosdk seems to have been saving his pot for when his on use trinket was going to be up but his guilds kill was a bit fast and he wasn’t able to take full advantage of the buff. Verestrasz on the other hand was able to line up his pot with Dancing rune weapon, and his random proc trinket, then just before the pot wore off his ring and weapon enchant managed to also proc.
    • All three were using Rune of the Fallen Crusader as their weapon enchant.
    • Trinkets: Verestraszis was using Vial of Convulsive Shadows and Forgemaster’s Insignia. Jellosdk and Nnogga were using Blast Furnace Door and Vial of Convulsive Shadows.

Druid

• For talents they seem to be all using Soul of the Forest and Bristling fur. Анзул and Thaeluz are using Dream of Cenarius, while Problim used Heart of the Wild.
    • Using Heart of the Wild gave Problim massive burst dps at ~130k beating out both the others burst at ~88k. I believe that if Problem’s kill was a bit faster he would actually have had the higher parse due to the burst. In order to do this Problim is going into cat form pre-pull and popping an agility potion instead of a BA potion, he also started to tank ~31 seconds in so ~15 seconds of the HoW was also wasted.
    • Problim was using the Mark of Blackrock, while the others were using the Bleeding Hollow weapon enchant.
    • All three pop their second potion with their on-use trinket when Bersek is up.
    • Trinkets: Problim and Thaeluz were using Blast Furnace Door and Tablet of Turnbuckle Teamwork. Анзул was using a stage 4 Knight’s Badge and a non-warforged 685 ilvl Pol’s Blinded Eye.
    • Also Thaeluz died once on his parse, obviously it would have been slightly higher.
    • If you look at their rage you’ll see that it caps fairly often, this is because they are rarely using or ignoring altogether savage defense.

Monk

• All three took Power Strikes, Invoke Xuen the White Tiger, and Chi Explosion. Alestørm and Manager were using Chi wave, while Ephrin was using Zen Sphere. I assume Ephrin purely wanted the greater healing from Zen Sphere as it did more the twice as much as the others chi wave.
    • All three use their second pot ~20% and seem to be trying to line it up with a trinket and/or Legendary ring procs. Even though Alestørm had the highest parse his pot actually lined up with less buffs then the others.
    • All three used Mark of the Thunderlord as their weapon enchant.
    • Trinkets: Alestørm and Manager were using Blast Furnace Door and Tablet of Turnbuckle Teamwork. Ephrin was using Tablet of Turnbuckle Teamwork and Humming Blackiron Trigger.

Paladin

• Talents here seem cut and dry, all three take the same. Seraphim, Execution Sentence, and Holy Avenger. Fairly simple here, all three use all their CD’s on the pull with lust. Seraphim uptimes: Fayz 46.13%, Xíó 48.79%, and Ancamira with 48.42%.
    • Xíómight have popped his 2nd potion slightly early, but he did have a Mark of Blackrock, Legendary ring proc, and Seraphim just after so It wasn’t entirely wasted. The others seemed to have saved their 2nd pot, their on-use trinket, and Seraphim for when Holy Avenger was back up.
    • Fayz was using the Mark of Warsong weapon enchant, while the others were using Mark of Blackrock.
    • Trinkets: All three were using Blast Furnace Door and Tablet of Turnbuckle Teamwork.
    • So Fred, if all three seem to have been doing roughly the same thing what makes Fayz parse so much better then the others, especially being that he even died ~20%? Well two things: luck with RNG and timing his procs, also his kill was very fast making his parse higher simply due to the speed. The RNG on procs he had on this kill was amazing, even a dps would be jealous. Check it out, I’ve highlighted most of his dps buffs and you can clearly see that they stack amazingly well, on pull literally everything proc’d. Would have been perfect if his weapon and other trinket had proc’d during his 2nd pot.

Warrior

• Talents: All three take Sudden Death, Dragon Roar, Bloodbath, and Ravager.
    • Dean saved his second pot near sub ~20% along with his other dps CDs. Трайбекс used his 2nd pot ~50% with his dps CDs. Forzensrage seems to have used his 2nd pot for mitigation for a third stack of Inferno slice.
    • Weapon Enchants: Dean was using Mark of Bleeding hollow, Трайбекс Mark of Blackrock, and Mark of the Thunderlord for Forzensrage.
    • Trinkets: All three were using Blast Furnace Door and Tablet of Turnbuckle Teamwork.
    • If you check out Dean and Трайбекс extremely close parses you’ll see that they are using their on-use abilities/items are relatively the same.
    • Трайбекс actually has slightly better uptimes on most of his proc buffs so he actually could have had a higher parse, however Dean’s use of his 2nd pot sub 20% and the uptime from Mark of Bleeding hollow let him do that 659.2 more dps.

Oregorger, 4/14/2015

Deathknight
    • Links to Logs: Jellosdk,Krachaz, Gullo
    • All three take Blood Tap and Breath of Sindragosa and Glyph of Icy Runes.
    • Breath uptimes: Jellosdk 88.03%, Krachaz 93.42%, and Gullo at 79.76%.
    • All three use a BA pot on pull. Gullo seemed to use his 2nd pot earlier but lined it up with pretty much everything but his Forgemaster’s trinket proc. Krachz uses his 2nd pot with his 3rd Dancing Rune Weapon. Jellosdk seems to have made sure his 2nd pot was up for most of his cooldowns/procs even though they don’t happen at relatively the same time, excellent timing on his part. He also managed to save Empower Rune weapon for his 2nd pot as well, . You can see just before his multistrike trinket falls off he pops his pot and the BA buff remains through Empower Rune Weapon, dancing rune weapon and his ring proc.
    • All three were using Rune of the Fallen Crusader as their weapon enchant.
    • Trinkets: All three used the Vial of Convulsing Shadows. Jellosdk used a Blast Furnace Door, Krachaz used a Evergaze Arcane Eidolon, and Gullo used a Forgemaster’s Insignia.

Druid

• Links to Logs: Earendel, Consistent, Upshift
    • Earendel and Upshift are using Soul of the Forest but Consistent is using Incarnation: Son of Ursoc. All three used Heart of the Wild, and all three Bristling Fur.
    • Earendal used an Agility potion on pull along with Heart of the Wild, Upshift used a BA pot along with HotW. On this fight I was interested in how they got away with cat form dps and after looking further into the logs I found that they are not tanking until just before the third acid torrent. So what’s going on is that on pull the other tank is grabbing aggro first but the druids will soak the first torrent. Next instead of taunting the tanks simply switch position and the other tank continues to get stacks of Acid Maw and will soak the second torrent. Consistent seems to have taunted immediately after and then uses his Incarnation. Earendel seems to let his other tank hold the boss for around 15 seconds more, which let him take better advantage of HotW.
    • Upshift used two Bonus Armor potions. Earendel and Consistent used an agility potion with HotW. Earndel used his second Bonus Armor potion when he had berserk up, Upshift didn’t seem to line his BA pot up with anything and Consistent seems to have not used a 2nd pot.
    • All three are using the Mark of Bleeding hollow as their weapon Enchant.
    • Trinkets: All three are using the Blast Furnace Door and the Tablet of Turnbuckle Teamwork

Monk

• Links to Logs: Alestørm, Boostburn, Dollgirl
    • All three took Chi Explosion, Invoke Xuen the White Tiger, and Power Strikes. used Chi wave, while Boostburn and Dollgirl used Zensphere. If your a Brewmaster monk you may already know about this, but you can Touch of Death one of the Ore crates to help force Oregorger to go a specific direction, if you use max health buffs obviously you could kill it faster. All three use their Touch of Death on a box for ~50k and use Touch of Death again on the boss when it’s is at less then 10%.
    • Alestørm and Dollgirl use their Bonus Armor Pot on pull and again later on in the fight. Boostburn uses his 1st and only pot along with his on-use trinket ~20%.
    • All three use the Mark of the Thunderlord weapon Enchant
    • Trinkets: All three use the Blast Furnace Door, and the Tablet of Turnbuckle Teamwork.

Paladin

• Links to Logs: Lázel, Malaa, Treckie
    • Lázel and Treckie used Seraphim, with 43% and 35.35% uptimes. Malaa was using Empowered Seals. All three took Holy Avenger and Execution Sentence.
    • Lázel again has procs that just seem a bit too perfect, everything just seems to line up.
      Only Lázel seemed to use his 2nd pot.
    • Lázel was using the Mark of Warsong weapon Enchant, while Malaa and Treckie used the Mark of Blackrock enchant.
    • Trinkets: All three use the Blast Furnace Door, and the Tablet of Turnbuckle Teamwork.

Warrior

• Links to Logs: Delekan, Ластенд, Dean
    • Dean and Ластенд used Sudden Death, while Delekan used Heavy Repercussions. All three took Bloodbath, Dragons Roar and Ravager. Dean and Delekan also used the Glyph of Rude Interruption.
    • Dean and Delekan’s groups used lust on pull while Ластенд’s group used it ~20%. Delekan was using what is considered a lower dps build however he must have been a high priority on interrupts as his Ruder Interruption buff was up for 55.88% with 8 interrupts, Dean’s was up for only 36.29% with 6 interrupts.
    • All three us a BA pot on pull. Delekan and Dean use their 2nd BA pot along with their cooldwons and when their in-use trinket was up. Ластенд seems to have not used their 2nd Pot.
    • Dean used the Nark of Bleeding Hollow Enchant, while Delekan and Ластенд used the Mark of the Thunderlord enchant.
    • Trinkets: All three used the Blast Furnace Door, and the Tablet of Turnbuckle Teamwork.
    • Ластенд is Kazack and translates to English as “Lastend”
    • Had a chat with Reloe, this weeks #2 Allstar warrior, about any tips for Oregorger he may have: “Regarding Oregorger I believe gladiator’s resolve is the best talent for progression, but if you have enough external cooldowns you can go with anger management/ravager. I always try to have at least ~40% damage reduction for each acid torrent. If you have Anger management you can use demo-shout twice for the torrents, else you could only use it once, so thats a positive thing”

More Coming Soon!
    Last edited by deadmanfred; 2015-05-02 at 03:35 AM. Reason: added date info

"How to whore dps on farm content" is what this thread should be called.

While it's engaging for the people in question to chase ranks, ignoring savage defense or whatever to hit harder and then saying "it gives you insight into how to play your class" is just wrong.

Top ranks are 99.9% cheese. Really no reason to look so close.

Deleted
    Cool cool fun to know!

Sadly don't think this tells us any new information that we didn't know before, and most of the data becomes more of ~trinket rng is cool~

The enitrety of the OP can be distilled down to trinket RNG + playing a tank badly in order to chase ranks. No meaningful information on how to play as a tank can be gleaned from this since all the top ranks will be on farm content and not how you would play the class if it was progression (i.e. playing the role correctly).

10+ Year Old Account
    It's reasons like the ones posted above that I never look at the top ranks. If you want to know how a class is doing, the top 3 numbers in the world are rarely all that helpful. Here, for example, are the tanks on Heroic Gruul, 50th percentile:

This, to me, is a bigger reason for concern. Brewmasters have a sizable lead over Protadins, enough to make me want to nerf the former or buff the latter. Well, after reviewing the other fights of course, and a few other percentiles. But the top 3 ever in Mythic just aren't indicative of the general raiding population for any role, class, spec, or fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It's reasons like the ones posted above that I never look at the top ranks. If you want to know how a class is doing, the top 3 numbers in the world are rarely all that helpful. Here, for example, are the tanks on Heroic Gruul, 50th percentile:
    http://i.imgur.com/VxUshLU.png
    This, to me, is a bigger reason for concern. Brewmasters have a sizable lead over Protadins, enough to make me want to nerf the former or buff the latter. Well, after reviewing the other fights of course, and a few other percentiles. But the top 3 ever in Mythic just aren't indicative of the general raiding population for any role, class, spec, or fight.
    Except you can't balance around 50th % (as we seen in SoO with affliction warlocks), even right now looking at your chart one might be tempted to buff blood dk, when in reality they have one of the highest dps potentials in the game, but it requires a more difficult rotation than the one you would expect a 50th % player to do.

Looking at top 3 parses we can still see the same picture of Blood DK > BrM > Prot Warrior > Guardian/Paladin that you see in a lot of other %s. This is not to say that we should only look at max/top3 parses, but it's silly to ignore them, as they often enough show a better picture of true damage potential of a spec.

The only reason DKs would be that low at the 50th percentile is due to all of the people still not using Breath for whatever reason. Well played Blood DK isn't sacrificing that much- if any depending on the fight- survivability in order to do solid dps and should definitely be beating out damn near every other class. There's a reason they're limiting DKs ability to have near 100% Breath uptime in 6.2.

10+ Year Old Account
    95th or 75th are far better measuring sticks than 50th.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

You're not even linking the best DK logs. . . (for Gruul at least)?

Quote Originally Posted by Saiyendra View Post
    You're not even linking the best DK logs. . . (for Gruul at least)?
    The logs are outdated because this is a copy paste of his blogpost from about a month ago.

All this chatter about this information being relative or not. This info inst all that useful for progression correct, but progression is not the only part of raiding. In fact most of these players are no longer even doing progression, this is insight on how a geared character is played, and in my opinion you only play a small part of an Xpac undergeared. This is Vengeance Tanking, tanking for damage it's nothing new, I didn't make up the term. Also the fights Ive posted so far are pretty hard to cheese besides maybe Touch of Death on boxes, I've got Hanz and Fronz up on my blog and the only cheesing you can do there is to tank as much as possible.

Not to mention what I'm trying to mainly do here is spread the knowledge of this type of thinking as well as the players with links to twitchTV when I can. Personally I've seen very offensive based build even being used during progression by the top guilds, who by the way rarely publicly log.

Quote Originally Posted by deadmanfred View Post
    All this chatter about this information being relative or not. This info inst all that useful for progression correct, but progression is not the only part of raiding. In fact most of these players are no longer even doing progression, this is insight on how a geared character is played, and in my opinion you only play a small part of an Xpac undergeared. This is Vengeance Tanking, tanking for damage it's nothing new, I didn't make up the term. Also the fights Ive posted so far are pretty hard to cheese besides maybe Touch of Death on boxes, I've got Hanz and Fronz up on my blog and the only cheesing you can do there is to tank as much as possible.
    No, this is how you tank as a dk for the most part.

Not to mention what I'm trying to mainly do here is spread the knowledge of this type of thinking as well as the players with links to twitchTV when I can. Personally I've seen very offensive based build even being used during progression by the top guilds, who by the way rarely publicly log.
    If people are serious enough to be looking up tanking outside of the game/basic how to play guides they'll already know without seeing who put the most effort into their dps on farm content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."