Poll: What do you think of Dragon decks?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    They would be pretty good - not amazing but pretty good - if not for the fact that Hearthstone is utterly and completely dominated by aggro, the bane of any slightly slower deck. The aggro-bloated meta fucks the game up so much. When 90% of the decks you run into are face, zoo or mech, you can't really play the dragon decks. The game's design is extremely flawed in this regard as it overwhelmingly encourages playing aggro, and therefore renders unviable any deck that's a bit disadvantaged against aggro.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    Right now though,not so gr8. Not having a 1 shot combo doesn't help either.
    As it turns out, dragons work pretty well in a druid deck, thanks to the FoN + SR combo. Wild growth is an excellent speed boost, after which you can start dropping technicians, dragons and corruptors perfectly in curve. It doesn't have consort, like the paladin does but it's still a fair well balanced deck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been having some fun with a dragon paladin I made but still needs some work! Great for mid game though when you can find the people to play against!
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    As it turns out, dragons work pretty well in a druid deck, thanks to the FoN + SR combo. Wild growth is an excellent speed boost, after which you can start dropping technicians, dragons and corruptors perfectly in curve. It doesn't have consort, like the paladin does but it's still a fair well balanced deck.
    No upset, but everything works better with Wild Growth.It doesn't matter if u drop shades/shredders or tehnicians/etc into force of nature savage roar...that's just being 2 mana ahead on curve. Issue if not getting WG in a druid "dragon" deck= concede. Also that's not a dragon 1 shot combo, that's the druid's combo.

Right now on the ladder, you either play against aggro or patron warrior and a bad start=gg concede.

Deleted
    Dragon paladin seems average so far.

I heard Dragon oil rogue might be a thing too, haven't seen much of it thought.

Deleted
    Issue if not getting WG in a druid "dragon" deck= concede.
    Exaggerating is cool I guess.

Also that's not a dragon 1 shot combo, that's the druid's combo.
    I don't see what difference that makes. The combo (+ wild growth) is why I actually like druids for dragons more than paladins, and I had very few issues against aggro.
    Last edited by mmoc6e18b67333; 2015-05-03 at 04:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The mechanic "if you have type X in your hand" makes them underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoj View Post
    They would be pretty good - not amazing but pretty good - if not for the fact that Hearthstone is utterly and completely dominated by aggro, the bane of any slightly slower deck. The aggro-bloated meta fucks the game up so much. When 90% of the decks you run into are face, zoo or mech, you can't really play the dragon decks. The game's design is extremely flawed in this regard as it overwhelmingly encourages playing aggro, and therefore renders unviable any deck that's a bit disadvantaged against aggro.
    Personally I think that if Blizzard finally fixed Hunter the game would be mostly fine.

P.S. I really don't see 90% zoo, face hunter and mech mage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I find them kind of awkward. Or it kind of awkward, I suppose, since only paladins are really viable. Well, maybe "they" is better, since I've seen two versions: tempo and control.

But yeah, the whole thing is really awkward.

3/5 on turn 3 is great, but, since all the dragons are 4+ mana, you usually don't keep any in your hand (though I've started to keep one sometimes), which often means that your 3/5 is just a 2/4, which is pretty shit.

Hungry dragon is incredibly annoying. You need to have a minion on the board to play it, otherwise you can easily fuck yourself. Had an enemy play it against me and roll me a free dust devil, which I then put behind a taunt and proceeded to destroy him with. And sometimes, even when you have a minion on the board, it still fucks you over. Like if you have a minion, and the enemy has a minion, and you can kill it for free with your current one but still want to play the hungry dragon first to make sure you can kill that random 1 drop in case it's more dangerous than the current enemy minion... then he rolls a stupid shieldbearer for you and your current minion ends up killing nothing at all. Then your enemy removes your old minion and leaves the shieldbearer up, so your hungry dragon has to run its 5 damage face into its 1-2 remaining health. Really, really annoying card.

And the blackwing corruptor is like, yeah I share a slot with a billion other 5 drops (if you run azure drakes, which you almost have to since they're really strong, especially with chromaggus or with consort for turn 7 3 damage consecrates), and I only have 4 health so I die to literally everything (it would be so much better as a 4/5). So the only way these are actually good is if you get value out of its battlecry (just 5/4 for 5 mana? would be the worst card in the game, after majordomo), which - again - is often awkward, since you need to have a dragon in your hand in order to activate it, and you only run so many dragons, and often you have to play those dragons instead of the corruptor (since the corruptor is crap without his battlecry), so you often end up without on in your hand even when it would be good to play him.

Then there's the stupid volcanic drake, which actually isn't as awkward as the other two (pretty easy to get it down to 4 mana), but is still shit since it's also only got 4 health, which means it also dies to just about anything, just like the blackwing corruptor, and it doesn't even have the guaranteed value of a battlecry. If this thing were 4/6 instead it might be pretty good, but as a 6/4 it's crap (at least in the control deck; I guess the tempo deck gets some use out of it).

Still... I've had some success with it, in the lower ranks (I'm only rank 10 right now), and I think it's really fun to play, especially when you get those sweet combos off, like the turn 6 chromaggus that they don't immediately remove. After I put in a couple of arguses (and 1-2 healbots depending on how much face hunter I'm facing) to help deal with the face decks things have been going pretty smoothly. Very few decks are able to deal with 2 taunted up 5-6+ health minions.

It is auto-lose to handlock, though, in my experience, unless you run like 2 equalities and a BGH and sylvanas, or something, but those cards are usually dead (1 equality is fine) outside of against handlock so I don't bother.
    Last edited by Simulacrum; 2015-05-04 at 01:38 PM.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Vs. this meta it's an uphill battle if you miss buffed Blackwing Technician turn 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very underwhelming and too slow. Generally too many specific and different conditions required for the deck to have nice synergy, the requirements for high value are just too demanding in a quick meta.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just lost to my first one - a Druid Dragon deck of all things - purely due to shit curve on my draw and a Coin + Innervated turn 2 Azure Drake followed by extreme tempo from him. It was still a close match.

They don't have enough synergy or pressure that mechs did.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    There weren't any cards previously that could make a dragon deck, and Blackrock Mountain didn't give enough tools for a dragon deck. Unlike Naxxramas, which had great synergy for deathrattles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

As a rogue I've never had much of a problem with them. Its seems easy to deny them a good set-up and the lack of taunt makes mots dragon decks very vulnerable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finland, the night is dark and full of terrors.
    I have played dragon rogue and tried out different variations of control/tempo style, and they all result in lack of draws or too much cycle and not enough threats, perhaps if a perfect balance between these two is found. (Malygos as a win condition.)

Deleted
    My opinion is the same as most people: dragon decks are underwhelming. Feels like we need some more options and Belchers are just too fundamental to drop with all the face/aggro decks around which means you have to drop some of the 5 mana dragons/Corrupters. I have tried Dragon priest, paladin and mage and suprisingly I've had way more success with Dragon Mage than the other two, but it's still nothing out of this world.

I don't know, maybe we are building the deck incorrectly. Oh well, if a dragon deck will ever be viable it will be a streamer that will find the perfect formula. Here hoping the next expansion slows down the meta in the meanwhile.