Poll: Will Overwatch ever reach the EPICNESS of other Blizzard Games?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Will Overwatch ever reach the EPICNESS of other Blizzard Games?

It's not a thread only about Overwatch, but we also don't have "Blizzard" only sub-forum, so I think it's the best to post it in the Video Games.

First - watch this awesome video:

Second, it's not a hating thread(I had to write it because whenever someone says something about anything on MMO-Champ Forums I see only "YOU HATER/FANBOY" comments).

We're waiting right now for the new Blizzard game called Overwatch, what do you guys think about the epicness of that game?(as much as we know right now)
    I know that we only saw trailer/presentation and some of us could even test it on the BlizzCon and it's impossible to say everything about he game, but after watching 10 minutes of Teletubbies and Lord of the Ring you can clearly see which is more epic(teletubies ofc). It's just a random comparison, not trying to say that Overwatch is Teletubies and Warcraft is LoTR.

Every game that Blizzard made since Warcraft(I'm not talking about Lost Vikings etc.) had a strong epicness in themselves, it had a very nice climatic story and sometimes dark twisting feeling.
    Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft are games which are really well made(epic heroes, lore, story etc).
    While on the other hand we have Overwatch with pixar/disney animations(you cannot deny it's not the same style) and a funny gorilla in a spacesuit(you are going to say something like "lol but we have cows(taurens/cows in diablo) who are fighting...", don't you? - yeah, but they're more "savage", they're killing, they have their honor codex, a BIG PART of lore),. I just think it's clearly focused on other playerbase and I hope it'll be a good game(like almost everything from Blizzard), but it won't be as epic as other games. Maybe if Blizzard focus more on the story of Overwatch. Right now, don't think so...

For Mods:
    If it's forbidden to post video about the topic in the thread then please, delete the link to the video.

For me WoW 'was' pretty damn epic, the rest of Blizzards games not so much so Overwatch doesn't really have much to live up to for me.

Wow.

Fall Out boy is SO not the kind of music that should accompany Blizzard cinematics.

Wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't say till i played it. There's also a whole sub-section for just this game so expect this to be moved there.

It at least is using parts from good shooters such as TF2 designs, plenty of map variation, map modes, playstyles and customization for characters and i can see it doing well epic, no idea the shooter market is already heavily saturated i am interested seeing how RPG elements play out in this shooter though, same as i'm interested in that moba/shooter thing from the same gamehouse that made borderlands i think?

Don't think any game will ever come across as truly epic, kinda seen most of it already and takes quite a bit to impress me after 20 years and more of playing video games.

Other than WoW, I wouldn't call any Blizzard games epic. They range from average to good, but WoW is really the only epic game imo.

So to answer OP's question, no I don't think overwatch will come close to WoW in epicness.

I think much like Blizzard's trend over the last 5 years or so, it's going to be a decent time-killer, but watered down and aiming to average out skill levels to make bad players not feel bad and want to quit. IE: Like the homogenizing of classes/skills and aim to equalize all DPS/HPS in WoW, HOTS aiming at the casual LoL crowd, and Hearthstone with the Magic/Farmville hybrid. I would say, despite TF2's neglect in recent years, it will still be the superior title for team/class based FPS. This is basically the FPS equivalent of LoL with the plans to continue releasing new heroes.

So far it looks like the frankensteined remains of titan cobbled together with the artstyle of a kids upturned toybox. I think people are seeing the Blizzard name and telling themselves "the hype is real" when it does nothing new or different and will probably just be another hat farming microtransaction monster aimed at the casual consumer.

Thats not enough for me to be excited or go 'wtf is this shit blizz???", for example i dont understand why people buy games like the sims but they do, its just not for me. This is a case of that. It may be blizzard but it looks really dull and uninteresting.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2015-05-01 at 02:21 PM.

I played it. Didn't like it.

The cinematic was cool, but I don't feel like I'm their target audience anymore.

I still do like Heroes of the Storm, but it's really the only Blizzard game I play these days besides the occasional Hearthstone match on the john.

That being said, I was probably the most into what Blizzard was doing during the SC1/WC3/D2/early WoW era. SC2/D3/post-cata WoW I wasn't really into. I don't know if it's because my tastes changed, Blizzard's games changed or a little of both.

But yeah I don't see anything getting to the same level of that golden era of Blizzard (SC1, D2, WC3 + early WoW). They are too big now, trying to attract a large audience at the cost of a design focus. They've become the McDonalds of vidya games.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2015-05-01 at 04:53 PM.

There is an Overwatch subforum no?

Anyway, no way to tell until I play it. Usually Blizzard games are fun to play, so at the very least I expect that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I've heard this whole, "Overwatch is just what's left of Titan" stuff time and again (and often used as some weird way of suggesting the game is lesser for it) but do we have any actual proof of that?
    It was stated last year's Blizzcon actually. They stated what Titan was supposed to be eventually just became Overwatch due to lack of interest / commitment towards the Titan project.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It was stated last year's Blizzcon actually. They stated what Titan was supposed to be eventually just became Overwatch due to lack of interest / commitment towards the Titan project.
    Wasn't the opposite said that very few parts were re-used from assets? And that more the team shifted focus to this game instead of titan?

Also i don't get why people are so opposed to stylized graphics especially since they are on a WoW gaming forum.

No, there will never be another game on the scale of WoW from Blizzard.
    Why ? Because games like Hearhstone take like 1/10 of the development resources, have a bigger player base and make more money.

Deleted
    Isn't it exclusively a multiplayer arena shooter?

Saw a few glimpses of the new SC2 cgi trailer, holy shit.

Deleted
    blizzard has not failed me yet on delivering a good game

so why would overwatch be different?

Easily, this game looks good and Blizzard's non-WoW games are trash.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    I think much like Blizzard's trend over the last 5 years or so, it's going to be a decent time-killer, but watered down and aiming to average out skill levels to make bad players not feel bad and want to quit. IE: Like the homogenizing of classes/skills and aim to equalize all DPS/HPS in WoW, HOTS aiming at the casual LoL crowd, and Hearthstone with the Magic/Farmville hybrid. I would say, despite TF2's neglect in recent years, it will still be the superior title for team/class based FPS. This is basically the FPS equivalent of LoL with the plans to continue releasing new heroes.
    SC and WC3 are widely seen as the best RTSs ever made.

Diablo 2 is also considered a masterpiece.

I remember when any of these trailers first came and we discussed how much they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Saft View Post
    Saw a few glimpses of the new SC2 cgi trailer, holy shit.
    What new trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    What new trailer?
    Legacy of the void. I saw several unfamiliar scenes with protoss and lasers in it. Blizzard stitched together a sort of a teaser vid with a couple of glimpses sometime ago but I saw several new scenes in this video. The opening cinematic itself has not been revealed yet but these are more than likely snips from it.