Poll: A South Seas Expansion Should Primarily Be About...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bsgbsm View Post
    I've always been partial to the idea of Azshara raising a massive continent from the ocean floor. I think they learned their lesson with Cataclysm about having zones too far spread out. A massive continent with a smaller "continent" of an ocean with a variety of islands that can be added/used for patch content.

Though I think it would be awesome to have an "underwater" expansion in windwaker form. Like having this kingdom under the waves that isn't necessarily in the water itself anymore.
    Raising the seabed is a very, very cool idea. Partly made popular by GoldenYak, I think?

But I think it'd get old fairly quickly. Exploring these coral reefs and sunken chasms will only feel dangerous, bizarre, and immersive if they are in fact submerged deep below water. Otherwise you won't feel isolated, as if being a thousand miles from safety. That "plunge" into the unknown is precisely what made Vashj'ir such an amazing experience for me. That said, I get that underwater content isn't for everybody, and raising the seabed would create a cool middle ground. Something we haven't seen in the past.

Had I the choice, I would raise one of the underwater zones to the surface, perhaps at max level once the questing is done. For instance, we could explore Queen Azshara's city of Nazjatar while questing. Then, at some point, she raises the city to the surface in order to launch the full might of her invasion, and it becomes a daily quest zone for us.

I'd go for all of those: Tropical islands and naval battles on the surface, big caves, naga temples and giant sea monsters in the depths.

Like two continents, one under the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for a south seas expac, as long as they put some serious thoguht in to how another underwater zone could work. I loooved Vashj'ir, it was visual stunning, but still shit as a melee, if they fix that? yippe.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    Raising the seabed is a very, very cool idea. Partly made popular by GoldenYak, I think?

But I think it'd get old fairly quickly. Exploring these coral reefs and sunken chasms will only feel dangerous, bizarre, and immersive if they are in fact submerged deep below water. Otherwise you won't feel isolated, as if being a thousand miles from safety. That "plunge" into the unknown is precisely what made Vashj'ir such an amazing experience for me. That said, I get that underwater content isn't for everybody, and raising the seabed would create a cool middle ground. Something we haven't seen in the past.

Had I the choice, I would raise one of the underwater zones to the surface, perhaps at max level once the questing is done. For instance, we could explore Queen Azshara's city of Nazjatar while questing. Then, at some point, she raises the city to the surface in order to launch the full might of her invasion, and it becomes a daily quest zone for us.
    Underwater atmosphere doesn't work on the surface.

That simple.

I'd be cool with having options, though, as I do know some people really don't like 3D motion. Maybe you can go to Tel'abim or Random Coral Forest.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Regarding raising the ocean floor. It could be cool to have the tidal change be massive and have a coral island that is occasionally submerged depending on time of day. People would grump because the game wasn't static and dull, but those sorts are always grumpy so no blood lost there.

That said, an even mix is probably the best, and having an over-land and under-world area where flight is available would give flying some value without it reducing the overall world scale.

WoW would need a much better underwater character behavior than it has right now though. I don't know if WoW is really made for real 3d movement, and it's behavior regarding objects providing cover isn't very consistent; not to the point that you need underwater anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    Exploring these coral reefs and sunken chasms will only feel dangerous, bizarre, and immersive if they are in fact submerged deep below water. Otherwise you won't feel isolated, as if being a thousand miles from safety. That "plunge" into the unknown is precisely what made Vashj'ir such an amazing experience for me. That said, I get that underwater content isn't for everybody, and raising the seabed would create a cool middle ground.
    This is a concern I have as well, and I thought that a way to offset it would be to have large regions that are still underwater, where mechanics similar to Vashj'ir take over. Huge sunken caverns full of spooky deep sea fish, giant spawning caves of naga and faceless ones, ruined cities and ship graveyards etc. - there's so many great setpieces for underwater adventure, but I agree that an entire expansion of underwater zones probably wouldn't be well received.

Players would be able to enjoy adventure on the surface and avoid underwater regions as they choose. Even I wouldn't want to spend the entire expansion underwater, and I was a fan of Vashj'ir.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    This is a concern I have as well, and I thought that a way to offset it would be to have large regions that are still underwater, where mechanics similar to Vashj'ir take over. Huge sunken caverns full of spooky deep sea fish, giant spawning caves of naga and faceless ones, ruined cities and ship graveyards etc. - there's so many great setpieces for underwater adventure, but I agree that an entire expansion of underwater zones probably wouldn't be well received.

Players would be able to enjoy adventure on the surface and avoid underwater regions as they choose. Even I wouldn't want to spend the entire expansion underwater, and I was a fan of Vashj'ir.
    Depends on how you're doing it. If it's like "Oh hey, this cave has water in it" then it feels out of place.

If you do it, you gotta do it on a whole zone basis, or at least a large part of a zone (like 1/4th coast, 3/4ths underwater) not thrown together like a collage.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Pretty much any way they do it a south seas expansion would be amazing.There's a lot of possibilities for stories. Zandalar, Bloodsail Buccaneers Capital, Tomb of Sargeras, Remenants of Kezan and the undermine, Nazjatar and the naga. Could hit up troll/night elf/goblin lore which would make for an awesome break from the dull orc stuff that we've been saturated with for the past couple years. It would be pretty cool to have a faction of friendly Makrura(lobsters).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Depends on how you're doing it. If it's like "Oh hey, this cave has water in it" then it feels out of place.

If you do it, you gotta do it on a whole zone basis, or at least a large part of a zone (like 1/4th coast, 3/4ths underwater) not thrown together like a collage.
    Yeah, it definitely has to feel natural. The submerged areas need to be significant.

I know it's been said, but I'd like a mix. I would like another water zone. Vash'jir was really awesome imo.

I want to see a bit of everything, the new zones can consist of either being an island or an underwater zone. I also like the idea of having your own boat and being able to enter open water for naval warfare.

Tropical, I need a vacation after this weird savage war zone thing

i want tropical and i want mai tais
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

South Seas? Isn't Pandaria right smack dab in the middle of the South Seas? I highly doubt Blizzard would place another expansion in that area, when they easily can have another continent to the RIGHT of Eastern Kingdoms or to the LEFT of Kalimdor.

Other: All of the Above.

10+ Year Old Account
    A mix of the above really. I dont wnt too much of anything. Id love an underwater zone that leads into a cave zone. Think Vashjir leading into a save that after a bit of walking leads into the main cave which is the size of a zone with fungal lighting and electric jellyfish lit lakes.

Ships you can sail on your own. 1 underwater zone, 1 cave zone, 2-3 island zones(one having a massive beautiful Volcano), and 4 zones on a small continent. More underwater mounts added. All zones have underwater sections, but only 1 is fully underwater. The underwater sections of all the zones play like Vashjir so they aren't cumbersome. 1 dungeon is its own small island zones that has no other purpose than to house the risen tomb of sargeras. You get there by fp or boat. Small little islands dot the expansion zones that can have rares or treasure on them.