Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why is mouthbreather seen as a bad thing?

Hey
    So i've been wondering this for awhile..
    Why do people see "Mouthbreather" as an insult?

I have problems with my nose so i have a really hard time breathing through it most of the time, so i kinda always mouthbreathe

10+ Year Old Account
    It's associated with down syndrome or something.

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Hey

I have problems with my nose so i have a really hard time breathing through it most of the time, so i kinda always mouthbreathe
    Don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy, I like him just fine, but he is a mouth breather.

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Hey

Mouthbreather being a bad thing is something that comes from people being on voice chat and breathing into their microphone, which shows they have no awareness of what is actually happening.

I've always assumed it's because some people who breathe through their mouth tend to be loud when they do so and the sound can be grating. Like most internet insults it was probably a rare annoyance people found funny and kept spreading around.

Quote Originally Posted by eluan View Post
    Mouthbreather being a bad thing is something that comes from people being on voice chat and breathing into their microphone, which shows they have no awareness of what is actually happening.
    If you can't hear yourself.. how would you know? xD But i use push to talk for this very reason i guess xD

Deleted
    Because you sound like this kid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the common image of someone who breathes through their mouth is that they're slow thinkers, as communicated by the constant, audible slow droning of their breathing. Just like how people who constantly stutter are thought of as neurotic.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

http://www.breathing.com/articles/nose-breathing.htm

When doing physical exercise where correct breathing makes a difference one can very easily tell why nose breathing is superior.

It helps with circulation, oxygen delivery, in dry or cold environments it preserves body moisture etc.

Furthermore mouth breathing is audible. Which makes it uncomfortable in social settings. More than that it also leads to snoring.

Is it? Thought that was pretty common. I mean you need air, right? Do whatever.

Deleted
    I thought it was because of obesity / wheezing, thus playing into the negative stereotype of the unhealthy fat nerd.

It's synonymous with one who is unevolved, primitive, or just plain oafish. Much like the terms 'windowlicker' 'knuckledragger' or 'slack-jawed'. It paints an image of someone who's apeish in appearance, with a low capacity for intelligence and no civility.

Think Homer Simpson or those orange ape-men from Jersey Shore. No class, no intelligence, ruining everything they touch.
    ~RAWR!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Havik View Post
    It's synonymous with one who is unevolved, primitive, or just plain oafish. Much like the terms 'windowlicker' 'knuckledragger' or 'slack-jawed'. It paints an image of someone who's apeish in appearance, with a low capacity for intelligence and no civility.

Think Homer Simpson or those orange ape-men from Jersey Shore. No class, no intelligence, ruining everything they touch.
    /Thread. Unless it is for medical reasons.

Because most mouth breathers are also neck beards.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Idk, breath through your mouth if you have to. The people that say something are just being douches and deserve no attention.
    this is the way i look at it.

never understood this either.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    /Thread. Unless it is for medical reasons.
    Yeah. But using the term 'mouthbreather' does not really refer to one who breathes through their mouth for medical reasons. Much like actually licking a window (dunno why one would do that) would not necessarily make one a 'windowlicker'.

It's just one of those quirky idioms courtesy of the English language.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Because most mouth breathers are also neck beards.
    Ah yes, 'neckbeard' was another good one.

Other synonyms for 'Mouthbreather' include: plebian, troglodyte, 'wal-mart people', peon, simpleton, pinhead, waif, oaf, troll, doofus, dimwit, moron.

I definitely may have glossed over a few there. There's so many terms for one who is a perpetual idiot, that it would be quite the endeavor to enumerate the compendium of mouthbreather synonyms which exist within the global English lexicon.
    Last edited by Lord Havik; 2015-05-02 at 12:44 PM.
    ~RAWR!

Is this one of those only in Europe/USA type of things. I've never heard bad association with mouth-breathing.

it's kind of the same thing if you are manually blinking with your eyes.

J/K this is a silly thing to care about :P

I've always associated mouth breathing with chewing with your mouth open or catching flies. Making them smacking noises is not socially acceptable and drives me fucking crazy (I really want to crack their skulls open.) And when people just let their mouth hang open, they look really foolish. Breathing heavy through a voice chat has never bothered me though as I am quick to mute annoying people.
    When work feels overwhelming, remember that you're going to die.