10+ Year Old Account

Ogre head inconsistency

One interesting thing I have noticed is that ogres do not have any strict rule regarding how their two heads counteract with each other.

In the RTS, the heads seem to have distinct personalities, and the April's Fool joke about the ogre race seemed to imply the same is true in WoW; yet many two-headed ogres in WoW seem to have one personality only, and Code of Rule states specifically that Mar'gok's two heads work in perfect accord. And then we have ogres like Cho'gall.

What is this? A retcon for all two headed ogres + OG madness for Cho? A result of demonic and Old God magic?
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

Even in RTS it was inconsistent. Cho'gall had two personalities - Dentarg, like Margok had one (and he was two-headed). I think it has something to do with lineage. Perhaps royalty is more prone to unity than those from a non-royal lineage?
    It can even be the next level of two-headed ogre personality.To me, Margok felt like he was ONE personality in/with two minds. Maybe if you have two brains, you can think twice as fast? Process information a lot faster than usual?
    In the short story, Margok was able to mimic fel magic after witnessing it for one short moment - that is pretty damn impressive. I'm pretty sure that someone like Khadgar, placed in same situation would have required more time.

Just my two cents

I thought even for Mar'gok it said at times he'd have to force his two heads to work together in the story, or did I misread it?

In old Warcraft 2 manual, non-mage two-headed ogres had distinct personalities, while ogre-mages heads worked in unison.

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    In old Warcraft 2 manual, non-mage two-headed ogres had distinct personalities, while ogre-mages heads worked in unison.
    Yea - and then we have Cho'gall who is an ogre-mage, yet his two heads weren't exactly in unison. I guess that two-headed ogre thing is pretty much random.

A few theories:

1. They have the same wavelength but not the same personality. So they can disagree but also have the ability to work in unison and it comes down to the attitude and how well the heads get along.

2. It varies between ogres and how their heads came about. Although Gul'dan made them in the normal timeline, it seems as if that was either changed in WoD or the ogres also have a way to artificially make themselves another head for the sake of magical talent. If that's the case then it would make sense that the artificial heads would agree with each other and the natural-born heads would be different people.

3. Since Cho'gall has fucked with himself so hard, his two brains went out-of-whack and he's so insane that what should be two synchronized heads are now acting on their own. Normal ogre magi have merged personalities (there are some holes in this but c'mon, it's blizzard)

4. They stopped giving a shit about consistency a long time ago.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I thought even for Mar'gok it said at times he'd have to force his two heads to work together in the story, or did I misread it?
    It also said that he had 4 eyes and not 3... just like current wow lore, don't overanalyze it.

The imperator had been watching the day unfold at a distance, his vision stretched down to Highmaul's streets through a lens of carved quartz. Four natural eyes normally provided him with plenty to take in, but the hours he'd spent staring had begun to make one of his heads swim. (Was there more to see? Should he stop?) It was strange feeling conflict within his minds, when he had always felt his brains working together as two legs should.

Well, I could argue that this is not the worst inconsistence about ogre lore. Blizzard raped everything about them, with the f***ing gorian empire. God no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, the Gorian Empire was hinted at before in the RPG.

"Some orc scholars believe that the ogres were once intelligent and the dominant species of Draenor before the orcs rose to power. Orcs ruthlessly conquered ogre territory, enslaving or killing the ogres as they went; the war between the two races lasted quite a while, fueled by corruption from demonic forces. Soon the ogres were broken, the race either forced into exile or enslaved and used in experiments. To this day, most ogres hate orcs with a passion, remembering the wars they fought against each other."
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

Lore Inconsistence #9001:

In WoD you do not see a single Ogre Lord, despite being part of the Ogre Lineage and being more powerful as well as intelligent than the avg. Ogre.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Ogre_lord

Deleted
    The right head (left side of the images) is always the intelligent and dominant one, while the left head is the silly one which needs to be made to comply with the right head's ideas. This fact can clearly been seen when you look at them.

Last edited by mmoce2d1b37428; 2015-05-03 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    The right head (left side of the images) is always the intelligent and dominant one, while the left head is the silly one which needs to be made to comply with the right head's ideas. This fact can clearly been seen when you look at them.
    Cho'galls WoD Model is actually different.

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/wow....27gall_WoD.jpg

He actually 2 two heads with 2 eyes each, they just copy pasted the model of the right head onto left while leaving the beard.

Quote Originally Posted by TheImperios View Post
    Actually, the Gorian Empire was hinted at before in the RPG.
    And even before that, the Warcraft III manual implied that there was more to the ogres (though not as specifically). The Gorian Empire is a retcon, but it's a decently supported one. The biggest problem with it is Rise of the Horde, but that's not the only thing that's been changed about that story at this point anyway.

I think Blizzard has toned down the ogre head thing on purpose, because it's just really hard to keep that up if you're going to have more than a couple two-headed ogres running around. I'd say Cho'gall's excuse is just that he's crazy to begin with, so it makes sense that his heads are less in sync than others.

10+ Year Old Account
    We also have that quest in Twillight Highlands, where you need to collect 4 heads from two Ogres --> http://www.wowhead.com/quest=27609/f...tter-than-none

Strongly implying deperate identity per head..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Cho'galls WoD Model is actually different.

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/wow....27gall_WoD.jpg

He actually 2 two heads with 2 eyes each, they just copy pasted the model of the right head onto left while leaving the beard.
    Well, he has two orc heads, because he's just a big modified orc. Actually his second head is totally blind, they covered up his modeled eyes with a texture and tattooed a fake one over top of his nose.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    We also have that quest in Twillight Highlands, where you need to collect 4 heads from two Ogres --> http://www.wowhead.com/quest=27609/f...tter-than-none

Strongly implying deperate identity per head..
    So that's what happened to Brox after the WotA. Zoidberg must've shoved Brox's head onto an ogre.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Note that Warbringer O'mrogg from back in Burning Crusade has this same setup. Though the model might suggest otherwise, his right head is more intelligent, left head is less.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Warbringer_O%27mrogg

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I think the biggest inconsistency in WoW with the Ogres is Mogor in TBC as compared to Mogor in WoD. For example:

Mogor in TBC
    http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...20070711182044

And Mogor in WoD:
    http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/wow....Draenor%29.jpg

Maybe Gul'dan whipped up that extra head for him, but given the prevalence of two-headed Ogres predating his experiments it seems kind of odd.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    Well, he has two orc heads, because he's just a big modified orc.
    Cho'gall is still using the basic Ogre frame, it's just a modified version of his model in Cata.