Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

SSD form laptop to tower PC?

I plan on buying a SSD for my laptop, it will be huge upgrade but my idea is to, in a couple of months or more, move it to the PC I want to build.

Why? because it costs 200€ and it has 500gb of storage, so it will be worth having it on my main computer when I switch.

As far as I know, it is a simple thing to switch the laptops HDD for the SSD. I just don't know how ideal it is to use this model in a built tower later on? I guess it makes no difference at all, but I rather ask before I buy it because I have no experience doing that!

I will buy either of the next:

Samsung 850 EVO, 500GB SSD
    http://www.amazon.es/Samsung-850-EVO...sung+ssd+500gb
    or
    Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
    http://www.amazon.es/Foro-Crucial-MX...UM&cdSort=best

Any suggestion on which one to get btw? I know Samsung plus it has a 5 years warranty... Dunno how good the other can be.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It makes none.
    Go with whatever brand works for you and price. Both failed me, twice.
    But my money would be on the Samsung.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    It makes none.
    Yeah same from my part I think. I hope to get more lucky

It will be as easy as unplugging it from the laptop and moving it. the OS wont boot your new tower (that radical of a hardware change causes serious issues for Windows and it will often refuse to boot at all) but as for installing it? Plug and play.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Samsung drive, simply because those SSD's are superb. Relocating it to a tower wouldn't be a problem either.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO, Samsung and Crucial are the top 2 SSD brands. You really can't go wrong with either of them.

And no, this is the type of SSD you'd use in a tower. It's standard 2.5". You'll need a 2.5" to 3.5" thing to stick in a drive bay. Or you can just skip that and tape it to the bottom of the case or such. You'd need specialized stuff if it is an mSATA or M.2 SSD, but those aren't.

I personally went with a Samsung 840 EVO in my laptop.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    It will be as easy as unplugging it from the laptop and moving it. the OS wont boot your new tower (that radical of a hardware change causes serious issues for Windows and it will often refuse to boot at all) but as for installing it? Plug and play.
    Cheers. I plan on doing a fresh install, I beliebe my OS might have something going on in the key registry. I've been messing up with it for the last years so I think it will be the best

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    IMO, Samsung and Crucial are the top 2 SSD brands. You really can't go wrong with either of them.

And no, this is the type of SSD you'd use in a tower. It's standard 2.5". You'll need a 2.5" to 3.5" thing to stick in a drive bay. Or you can just skip that and tape it to the bottom of the case or such. You'd need specialized stuff if it is an mSATA or M.2 SSD, but those aren't.

I personally went with a Samsung 840 EVO in my laptop.
    Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone. Been doing some research meanwhile too and I think I'll go with the Samsung for the sake of knowing the brand a bit more, plus more people seem to have used it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    It makes none.
    How did you manage that?

I'm owning a Crucial M4 256Gb which i bought in 2011, and it been running flawless ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Windows 7 and 8 are actually almost foolproof at booting on totally different hardware, XP and older versions had significant issues. And you can even improve your chances at hardware migration by using the sysprep tool.

Just two weeks ago I moved Win7 Pro boot drive from ~2006 AMD (Athlon 64 x2) system into Sandy Bridge based Intel H61 system and everything works flawlessly after installing motherboard drivers from USB stick which I would've had to do after clean install too. Only drawback compared to clean install is that I can't set AHCI mode on from BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Windows 7 and 8 are actually almost foolproof at booting on totally different hardware, XP and older versions had significant issues. And you can even improve your chances at hardware migration by using the sysprep tool.

Just two weeks ago I moved Win7 Pro boot drive from ~2006 AMD (Athlon 64 x2) system into Sandy Bridge based Intel H61 system and everything works flawlessly after installing motherboard drivers from USB stick which I would've had to do after clean install too. Only drawback compared to clean install is that I can't set AHCI mode on from BIOS.
    a LOT of people have OEM installs. It will lock you out because its not the original hardware it was installed on, is more what i was referring to.