Deleted

New player - any dungeon tips?

I picked up GW2 recently, and I've been enjoying my warrior so far, leveled up to almost 40 in a couple of days. A dungeon unlocked for me, so I browsed the group finder - but it looked a bit intimidating. Almost all of the groups' descriptions were about some paths (what is a path?) and asking for experienced players/no noobs/etc.

So, my question is - do you have any tips for a noob player like me for the first dungeons I do? I like to prepare myself, so I read up a bit on warrior - I'm doing GS/ LB or double Axe, I have a rough idea on what my rotation should be, but I'm not really sure what to expect from a dungeon (especially since there is no trinity of tank/healer/dps). Not to mention I'm still having trouble rolling out of crap on the ground (especially when autoattacking).

Thank you all in advance.

I don't do dungeons much but this site is very nice for GW2 dungeon strategy...

http://gw2dungeons.net/

Alright so, first off dungeons are designed to have different ways of completing them. A dungeon will have a "Story mode" This is effectively a path, and what you should do while leveling. However, after doing story (Or if you have some one in your party who has done the story mode) You unlock the "Explorable paths", each involves accompany a random npc and assisting him in the same dungeon but with a different goal, these paths are also completeable at your level.

Now, with that out of the way, being a none 80, you should focus on just doing story modes of any dungeons you see pop up or at the very least form your own groups with a message to the effect of: All welcome.

Lastly, and most importantly, the reason many of those messages seem to be intimidating is because one of the most effective ways to generate gold in GW2 is from dungeon farming. Take me, I play a lvl 80 thief, obviously I don't want to run with a none 80 because it will slow down the run, and generate less gold for me overall, this is why when I create groups I set my message to: __ + __ path zerkers only ping gear. This allows me to see that who I am running with has not only an idea of what they're doing, but are able to do the damage needed to keep up the pace.

My advice:

Don't be intimidated to make your own groups or join the ones that are clearly labeled as casual fun groups they are for people just like you!

Stay away from the groups with intimating messages. You can join them, but 95% of the time, you'll just get instantly kicked as you don't meet the requirement that they want.

Don't worry about rotations and so on, focus on avoiding things that seem like they will hurt, dodge roll is your bestest friend.

Lastly, even as a vertern player I always find myself checking out http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki It provides all of the main builds people are using, general how-to's for the build, the gear / rune / sigil combos, ect, and it will be a great place for you to figure out how / what works best. But I am a big advocate of ignoring stuff like that during the leveling process, rather then worrying about what's optimal just have fun. You can become a zerk speed runner later, when you hit 80.

Hope I helped!

Deleted
    Thank you so much for the detailed explanation, it cleared up a lot!

I did my first dungeon, went well, no deaths, was pretty fun. Only thing that bugged me is no one said anything during the whole run, even though when I joined I said the usual "hello, new player here, etc etc".

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Juice View Post
    Thank you so much for the detailed explanation, it cleared up a lot!

I did my first dungeon, went well, no deaths, was pretty fun. Only thing that bugged me is no one said anything during the whole run, even though when I joined I said the usual "hello, new player here, etc etc".
    Not a lot of players are super social, you'll get groups like that some times, other times, you'll get groups where the people won't shut up. When doing dungeons if you're ever curious about a boss or some thing specific always ask, most of the time, even shy people will explain what to do, to avoid wiping on the content.

Most important tip I can give, is to start your own group in the LFG section. I rarely run dungeons but when I do, I always post "Newbie LFG for ???". I never had any issues or troubles finding other players and usually have decent conversations with them.