Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Why do guilds do this? Especially when the content has been out for months. I see the majority of guilds on my server raiding 3 or more nights and a total of 10+ hrs a week.
    10+ hours a week is not a lot. 8/9 hours a week is considered a light schedule. 12-16 is the standard amount. Also what on earth makes you think it would go down during summer? People raid as a leisure activity, they do it night when they are not at work or school, If they were no longer going to school or work during the day why would they no longer raid at night? Being a leisure activity you'd expect it would probably go up during a time when people have the most amount of time for leisure. Except it doesn't increase because guilds decided on schedules and very rarely change them.

It seems really ridiculous considering that there is so much to do for the majority of the playerbase when it's summer. Why constrain yourself to a full raiding schedule for content that's not even new and exciting anymore?
    People aren't constrained to full raiding schedules because Blizzard has a gun to their head, It's because they want to do it. Also the fact that It's not new anymore (Which It sort of is, BRF has been only been out for 10 weeks, when you consider the average raid lasts for 25-30 weeks, yes It's still quite new) doesn't mean anything, people raid to complete the raid, If they're not finished and can't clear 10/10 in less time they're going to continue raiding at full schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    People so addicted that they're actually angry at Blizzard for WoW getting old >.< Insulting WoW because your tired of it is like hating your dad because he's older than you and not as fun as your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    There's nothing else to do, it being summer doesn't change anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it even get warm in Scandinavia? Having AC there seems like overkill, especially considering the more southern parts like France and Germany rarely has AC in residential buildings.
    I assume you have guessed my location using my signature, nice catch, but I'm not from Scandinavia, unfortunately - I wish I was, though. I'm from Poland and it gets hot in here, 30℃ and higher. I just hate such high temperatures.

Whats different in summer? You can probably get more raiders honestly with college finishing up so why stop? If you're a raiding guild raiding is what you do, why stop because a time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by IxilaFA View Post
    Why is there this belief that summer offers so much to do? The average person might take a week or two vacation in the summers, they'll take time off for the holidays like July 4th in the US, and maybe they'll have barbecues or days at the lake or something on the weekend.

But people still work during the summer, and people still have families and responsibilities during the summer. Pretty much the only people who suddenly have a different schedule during the summer are students, and they have more time to spend on games like WoW than they do during the winter.

Basically what I'm saying is that any guild which raids Tues-Thurs, 12 hours a week has no reason to put off raiding because some people might have busier schedules during the weekends and have holidays coming up.
    ^^ this

People seem to think everyone is just gone for 3 months during the summer. But if you're a working adult, you might have a 1(maybe 2 if you're a big timer)week vacation and that's about it. You can still raid in the evenings/nights most of the time.

The reason we maintain our raid schedule during the summer is two fold. 1) We have not finished Mythic BRF yet. 2) We like to keep our raiders and guild active. You have long periods of inactivity and people will just scatter. We do have more people that go on vacations and take breaks though. That is completely expected during summer just as it is during other holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    ^^ this

People seem to think everyone is just gone for 3 months during the summer. But if you're a working adult, you might have a 1(maybe 2 if you're a big timer)week vacation and that's about it. You can still raid in the evenings/nights most of the time.
    Pretty much.

I know times are different now, but Firelands launched in the summer and I don't really remember there being any issues with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sdracklryeg View Post
    10+ hours a week is not a lot. 8/9 hours a week is considered a light schedule. 12-16 is the standard amount. Also what on earth makes you think it would go down during summer? People raid as a leisure activity, they do it night when they are not at work or school, If they were no longer going to school or work during the day why would they no longer raid at night? Being a leisure activity you'd expect it would probably go up during a time when people have the most amount of time for leisure. Except it doesn't increase because guilds decided on schedules and very rarely change them.

People aren't constrained to full raiding schedules because Blizzard has a gun to their head, It's because they want to do it. Also the fact that It's not new anymore (Which It sort of is, BRF has been only been out for 10 weeks, when you consider the average raid lasts for 25-30 weeks, yes It's still quite new) doesn't mean anything, people raid to complete the raid, If they're not finished and can't clear 10/10 in less time they're going to continue raiding at full schedule.
    10 hours is a lot. Imagine you're the average person working 9 to 5. Committing to 3 days a week and 10+ hours to play a game is a lot of time. Especially week after week.

my old guild always raided strait through the summer with no real issue 3 nights a week. we might lose one or two but never enough to stop raiding.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Treeba View Post
    Pretty much.

I know times are different now, but Firelands launched in the summer and I don't really remember there being any issues with it.
    Firelands was also both an exceptionally short and "easy" raid tier, with two blocks - a gear check on Baleroc, and Ragnaros actually being a worthy end-boss. The five other bosses barely warranted more than one night of progress before keeling over. We were in the low end of top 100 back then, and looking back at our kill dates -

Shannox Jul 6th, 21:14; essentially killed in 1hr.
    Rhyolith Jul 7th 23.22; progress from previous night + slight overtime on second night due to multiple low % wipes.
    Beth'tilac Jul 11th 21:40; progress sunday + kill in the first half of monday.
    Alysrazor Jul 17th 21:12; Half of monday, half of tuesday (with clearup tuesday - that's back when difficulties weren't split so you needed to not be greedy with how you allocated raid time), then spending wed/thurs clearing the 3 we'd already killed and whatever time we had there spent on Alys with a very early kill Sunday. Bit hard to gauge as logs don't last four years, but to my recollection it didn't take longer than the other bosses, we just had other shit we needed to do.

And the first wall, Baleroc at july 27th 20:18; Happened the same night as a hotfix went live to either nerf his hp or his enrage, not sure which; all I know is that I was at the cinema that evening with my friends watching Captain America - The first avenger, and I got a text through the armory app that it'd died in the first pull with the hotfix and was now a joke.
    Cue clearup of the other 4 bosses, and a staghelm kill sunday the same week (jul 31 20:47).

As said, this is from someone in the low top 100's, but firelands was a letdown of a tier if it hadn't been for Ragnaros carrying the mantle all on his own two strong legs. The bosses were a joke *or* horribly tuned (10 man's went in and killed Baleroc in sub-10 pulls with half a minute left on enrage; same with Staghelm, where as the top echelon of 25 man guilds spent 10+ hours a day on Staghelm trying to game his scythes to get max dmg buff uptime so they could beat the enrage).
    If we had firelands released with the current roster, we'd be sitting wiping on ragnaros for all of our time by the end of the second reset without a shadow of a doubt; We're much stronger than we were back then.

Essentially, when the tier was "over" in two weeks (bar ragnaros), WITHOUT any form of extensions, day raiding, or added raid days (this was done on a strict 19.30-23.00 schedule 5 days a week with minimal extensions - only happened for rhyolith that tier), it's easy to keep shit going even during the worst of times.
    Last edited by Dracodraco; 2015-05-04 at 12:22 AM.

Why do guilds do this? Especially when the content has been out for months. I see the majority of guilds on my server raiding 3 or more nights and a total of 10+ hrs a week.

It seems really ridiculous considering that there is so much to do for the majority of the playerbase when it's summer. Why constrain yourself to a full raiding schedule for content that's not even new and exciting anymore?
    Summer is just another time of year with people who aren't in School mind you. That said it's not hard to find time to do things all year round while progress raiding Mythic. Get a clue maybe?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    The reality is that 6.2 is going to be most likely released sometime in late June or July, which is going to force all serious raiding guilds to maintain a full schedule during the summer. I see the timing of this tier being particularly disastrous to a lot of Mythic raiding guilds. With all of the upheaval and fall out that has gone on during the current tier, there are a lot of guilds hanging on by a string right now. If you introduce attendance problems from summer vacations, etc to the release of a new raid tier, it will be the last straw that pushes a lot of those guilds into implosion - probably even moreso than BRF in general has sunk a lot of guilds.
    OH YES so much to do at 8PM - 11:30 PM on Mon-Thurs

I mean you could be sleeping!

get a grip

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vedni View Post
    Ceasing raiding for a couple months is a great way for a guild to die. Sometimes its just necessary to keep raiding going for the health of the guild, like the 14 months we had for SoO. Your guild takes a "break" because a few people want to quit until new content or take an extended break for summer, what about all the people who don't want to take a break? They find other guilds.

A "holiday schedule" seems like a great idea but my guild already only raids 7 hours a week so reducing that would pretty much destroy our progression (currently 8/10M)
    We stopped from May onward in SoO and US 22nd M Blackhand. So what I'd call that is poor guild structure if they implode.

Because children aren't usually the ones making the choices.
    You don't just stop raiding because 15 year olds suddenly have time off of high school.
    For adults, summer changes nothing except maybe a weak vacation.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10 hours is a lot. Imagine you're the average person working 9 to 5. Committing to 3 days a week and 10+ hours to play a game is a lot of time. Especially week after week.
    9 to 5?

LOL? LOOOL?

I wake up at 4Am and work through 4 PM if I'm doing sidework thats 7-8 PM Still can raid mythic and have a social life.

Your pitiful work hours are laughable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Because children aren't usually the ones making the choices.
    You don't just stop raiding because 15 year olds suddenly have time off of high school.
    For adults, summer changes nothing except maybe a weak vacation.
    Pretty much

Most adults don't have their day to day life change to a great degree because of the month it is. Some jobs have time off at certain times of years and some people have times they prefer to take vacation days. My normal schedule doesn't change at all if it is January or July.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Protip: Stop worrying about what other people do. Why on earth would you even care? It doesn't affect you. Second, HFC is going to be out in June. So it's going to be new content.

And last, most guilds raid at night. And only a couple nights a week. Plenty of time to do stuff during the day. Don't use this as a passive/aggressive stab at raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Alassiel View Post
    I've been very happy with 25 hours a week during my prime time, 10 hours is nothing. I actually prefer to stay at home with my AC than to be somewhere out there with such ridiculous temperatues. I fucking hate summer.
    Summer is only viable so water doesn't freeze you to death. Otherwise its fucking awful compared to Fall / Spring

7+ Year Old Account

A lot of guilds that are still raiding are raiding for the sake of progression, and furthering that. Someone getting holidays from school isn't going to change that schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volibear View Post
    A lot of guilds that are still raiding are raiding for the sake of progression, and furthering that. Someone getting holidays from school isn't going to change that schedule.

A lot of guilds also break up due to burn out. It might be wise to raid less once content is out for a while.

Our guild would raid all through summer the usual 2-3 nights a week... Only we know it would never happen because people would stop signing up... Hell it has already started to happen, our Mythic Foundry progress has been at snails pace since we started Mythic because the hardest encounter is to encounter 20 players at once and get them into a raid for 6-9 hours a week.

I don't know how many guilds will actually maintain a steady schedule through the summer without new content being available, can't be many.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BergErr View Post
    US person spotted, the average person here will have atleast 5 weeks of vacation during summer. My mom have 7-9 weeks of vacation with full pay every summer (:
    And once you're old enough to work yourself, you"ll realise that 7-9 weeks of continuous holidays means your career is going nowhere fast. Even in Sweden. We're usually entitled to 4-5 weeks of vacation per year and people tend to take 3-4 weeks in the summer because rest of the year is kinda shitty around here.

Maybe long continous multieeek holidays are still a thing in certain industries, however in most global companies, you'll be struggling to take 4 continuous weeks off. And you're choosing to put your career in the shitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    There's nothing else to do, it being summer doesn't change anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it even get warm in Scandinavia? Having AC there seems like overkill, especially considering the more southern parts like France and Germany rarely has AC in residential buildings.

France/Germany southern parts of Scandinavia? Wtf did u smoke?

Anyway, it was +30-40c for over a month last summer where I live in Sweden.
    30 degrees Celsius = 86 degrees Fahrenheit
    40 degrees Celsius = 104 degrees Fahrenheit
    Worst summer ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamyz View Post
    And once you're old enough to work yourself, you"ll realise that 7-9 weeks of continuous holidays means your career is going nowhere fast. Even in Sweden. We're usually entitled to 4-5 weeks of vacation per year and people tend to take 3-4 weeks in the summer because rest of the year is kinda shitty around here.

Maybe long continous multieeek holidays are still a thing in certain industries, however in most global companies, you'll be struggling to take 4 continuous weeks off. And you're choosing to put your career in the shitter.
    Started working 9 years ago ty.
    The places I worked at would close atleast 4 weeks every summer though, you had to take atleast that long vacation.
    Ofc getting 7-9w is rare, but very possible. Wont hurt your career if u already reached the place u want