Thread: Why GW2?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why GW2?

Hello everyone,
    I've played GW2 till level 20 back when it launched and played for a few hours recently, but I just can't seem to have fun with it. I used to play wow and that was fun. With GW2 leveling is boring for me, and fighting mobs is as well. I've played warrior and tried different weapons (mostly greatsword and dual-axes) and also played necromancer. So why is it that so many people play this game and enjoy it?

Deleted
    The big question is... Have you played Engineer?

Guild Wars 2 is an action game. Perhaps that is simply not the genre context you want to enjoy and MMO within- totally possible. Just as some simply don't like an FPS attached to an MMO (Planetside).

I think those that stick with GW2 long term do so for many reasons but more than likely the gameplay style of freewheeling action and self designed goals is greatly appealing. In particular for those players with an aversion or no intrinsic affinity for bimodal, limited linear progression designed MMOs such as Star Wars: The Old Republic, Rift or World of Warcraft.

This is a long winded way of saying; "People like different things and that's fine."

Though it is really common on these forums here for players not entrenched in the style of GW2 to express mystery or dissatisfaction with the gameplay. Usually in an unsophisticated and poorly defined context of "boring". Which serves no benefit to anyone.

Subjective terminology, non-relevant.

If you find it boring you should probably do something else. Have you tried GTAV for the PC? Its pretty fun.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Thanks for the answers. Fencers, GW2 is indeed mysterious, I will give it another shot and if I am still not appealed I guess it's not my kind of game.
    Rukh, I have not played GTAV, infact I have not had an interaction with GTA since PS2, but I am not a fan.

edit: some grammar stuff.

The current reason (IMO) that this game is boring to new players is that the equivalent of the "talent" system doesn't really change your playstyle until much later. (Even before the changes to levels, some professions didn't have a playstyle change until level 60+).

I enjoy the game because I knew what it had to offer from the beginning. (As in, I knew it had more niche appeal for an MMO, and I fit into that niche.) I enjoyed some parts of GW1 in terms of gameplay. (I never got far enough to experience the story, but I read a huge chunk of it.) What I disliked in that game was removed (Heroes, the wider "variety" of builds that were a chore to get the elites for).

Though, based on the OP's experience, I can see where he's coming from. The Warrior is not really going to wow you at the start. It's the safe class to play that is very useful at the late game. You're not going to get the cool trait (Forceful Greatsword) until later in the game. The big issue the profession has now is the nerf to adrenaline. It decays so much faster now that in solo'ing, it hardly matters. Necromancer (for me) was one of the hardest professions to level. It doesn't have the ability to really cleave in melee.

While there really is no end-game like other MMOs, the trait system is only fully usable at level 80 and for a good majority of the classes, there aren't many interesting talents before then. However, what GW2 has that I've yet to see in other MMOs and RPGs is a way to test out builds for max level waaay before getting there. If you hit the crossed swords icon and head into the PvP lobby, you'll have access to almost all your traits, skills, and weapons (once you get through the small tutorial) as well as some target golems to test them out on. It's really nice to see how a level 80 build plays when you're starting a new character.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Guild Wars 2 is an action game.
    It really really isn't.

I wish it was.

it is a hybrid combat, certainly more action oriented than the standard tab target mmos

Fencers is pretty much right, although it might have to do with how you are playing the game?

The leveling isn't quite the same as wow and I think it is best when you explore and do events. It's really fun when you talk to some npcs and discover hidden events. My dad actually hating leveling in GW2 until recently and now he says it's the most fun he's had in an mmo. So I would suggest trying to go about the game with a different point of view maybe if you want to try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by worprz View Post
    Fencers is pretty much right, although it might have to do with how you are playing the game?

The leveling isn't quite the same as wow and I think it is best when you explore and do events. It's really fun when you talk to some npcs and discover hidden events. My dad actually hating leveling in GW2 until recently and now he says it's the most fun he's had in an mmo. So I would suggest trying to go about the game with a different point of view maybe if you want to try it again.
    A lot of people leave after events are done but if you stay NPCs will act out the event. Imagine the quest dialogue in WoW being acted out with movement and everything, then they might say "lets go" and start running towards a new area and if you follow them another event starts.

Dynamic events are like mini stories. It's nice to watch them play out. I think I've spend a few hours in queensdale and brisban wilds because of it
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    it is a hybrid combat, certainly more action oriented than the standard tab target mmos
    Yes but it's still far far far far from an action game.

Quote Originally Posted by Emophia View Post
    Yes but it's still far far far far from an action game.
    If you took tab target away from the combat, it would be an action game.

Quote Originally Posted by Emophia View Post
    It really really isn't.

I wish it was.
    There is no gameplay demonstrated in GW2 that I know of which is not action determinant in gamespace or collision.

There is no such thing as a "hybrid", Guild Wars 2 is an action game.

you don't think the targeting component makes it not an action game, Fencers? I mean that will auto turn, auto attack, and auto target your character. That's kind of the antithesis of action combat.

I haven't logged onto GW2 since last year, I really want to since my WoW sub is inactive. My question is: What makes it bad compared to other mmorpgs?

that seems a rather negative approach to ask such a question

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    that seems a rather negative approach to ask such a question
    Sorry if it came out wrong. Maybe its cause alot of opinions about certain games (not always about GW2) is sinking into my head that I lost sight of the positives.

Well it is rather subjective. For quite a few, the lack of a holy trinity definitely seems to be a negative (for me it is a positive). The directionless gameplay can be a turn off for some folks as well. Those would be the two common complaints I hear.

The lack of large-scale organized instanced content gated by gear treadmilling is another common complaint. Again, for the majority of the playerbase, these are seen as pluses, not minuses. People play this game because it's NOT like WoW. If they wanted WoW, they'd play WoW or another of its imitators, like Rift.