Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    70C isn't a problem anyhow. If it does get over 90 under stress, that's a risk, so don't use too intensively until you can reseat the cpu.

me personally I use some rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter to clean off thermal paste from a processor. I use the coffee filters because they don't have lint.

70'C is fine for most Intel CPUs. Since you already went to 100'C, I'm assuming it is indeed Intel.

As others have said, if you ever remove the heatsink you need to remove/clean the old paste and reapply new thermal paste.

If you really can't wait a few days for the paste to arrive and you're hitting 100'C, try adjusting the power settings for your CPU (in Windows Power Options) to try to force it to downclock to generate less heat, until the new paste arrives. Ideally you won't want to go over 90'C.

10+ Year Old Account
    does intel have sort of a tendency to have their cpu's run really hot then? cause it is a intel cpu. i did a cold start after having it off for 12+ hours and it still started up sort of hot. shouldn't the heat have dissipated by then? how could it go right up to 50c in such a short time?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    NEVER remove the heatsink unless you plan to replace the paste. Why would you do something so dumb?
    it was so long since i last cleaned the heatsink that i forgot the heatsink was connected by thermal paste.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2015-05-04 at 06:35 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

A bit of isopropyl-soaked into a q-tip will allow you to very safely and very easily clean off any of the mucked up thermal paste. No need for anything special at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Are you perhaps using stock Intel fan? It's really easy for one of the corners to pop out without you noticing if you twist it and the cooler doesnt touch the CPU properly. Fixing it back to full contact should take care of your overheating problems and allow light gaming on the computer.
    yes i am using the stock fan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hadley-II View Post
    Normally Thermalpaste comes with your CPU cooler. Just put new paste on it...
    i know it's not food but will i still be able to use it after 4 years? it won't have gone bad or anything like that?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2015-05-04 at 06:42 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    does intel have sort of a tendency to have their cpu's run really hot then? cause it is a intel cpu. i did a cold start after having it off for 12+ hours and it still started up sort of hot. shouldn't the heat have dissipated by then? how could it go right up to 50c in such a short time?

- - - Updated - - -

it was so long since i last cleaned the heatsink that i forgot the heatsink was connected by thermal paste.
    It doesn't take 12 hours to cool off. Really just a few seconds. It also only takes a couple seconds for it to heat up. For example, you PC can be dead cold, as soon as you turn it on, it will get to it's idle temp. When you launch something like AIDA64, you can immediately see the temp get to what it's going get to. As soon as you stop it, it drops back down to idle temp in a few seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

i know it's not food but will i still be able to use it after 4 years? it won't have gone bad or anything like that?
    As long as it has been sealed up it should not have dried out and is still usable. If not, seriously, you can get thermal paste at just about any local computer shop for around $5.

No, those don't run especially hot, but Intel CPUs have overheat shutdown at about 105C and AMD at 73C. Running at 90-100C is dangerously close to overheat and with stock cooler the CPU should be running at about 65-70C max after hours of full load.

yes i am using the stock fan.
    With the very long time it takes to cool down and fast uptake of heat sounds like my initial thought was correct. The heatsink is not properly locked down and one (or two) of the four corners must be loose. That will lead exactly into the kind of heat problems you're having.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    No, those don't run especially hot, but Intel CPUs have overheat shutdown at about 105C and AMD at 73C. Running at 90-100C is dangerously close to overheat and with stock cooler the CPU should be running at about 65-70C max after hours of full load.
    *TJmax for AMD FX chips is 62°C

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't have proper isopropyl alcohol you can also use Vodka to clean it.

Half the posters can't read. The OP has paste on the way and is asking what to do until then.

My advise would be to leave the PC off before you fry your CPU - ain't worth the risk. If you have leftover paste that's been sealed then use that. I have tubes much older and they're still wet. It only takes a tiny amount to make a paper thin layer. More paste isn't a good thing (worse in fact) and those tubes hold enough for dozens and dozens of jobs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrArtorius View Post
    If you don't have proper isopropyl alcohol you can also use Vodka to clean it.

Never use anything but rubbing alcohol to clean off paste. It's not even the same kind of alcohol. Go to any store and buy a bottle for a couple bucks.

But go ahead and put sugar and other residues on your PC parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Temps reading on AMD cpu are fucked up. Its more like Tjmax = 62c above idle temp, they dont really run at max 62c.
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2015-05-04 at 10:17 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Depends on the CPU, 6350 is 80°c TJmax

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Half the posters can't read. The OP has paste on the way and is asking what to do until then.

My advise would be to leave the PC off before you fry your CPU - ain't worth the risk. If you have leftover paste that's been sealed then use that. I have tubes much older and they're still wet. It only takes a tiny amount to make a paper thin layer. More paste isn't a good thing (worse in fact) and those tubes hold enough for dozens and dozens of jobs.

- - - Updated - - -

Never use anything but rubbing alcohol to clean off paste. It's not even the same kind of alcohol. Go to any store and buy a bottle for a couple bucks.

But go ahead and put sugar and other residues on your PC parts.
    right now i just have it running idle with only cpuid hwmonitor and the browser open nothing else.(idles at just under 50 celcius) also have the max processor speed set to 75% in performance options. rubbing alcohol is essentially isopropyl alcohol yes?

right now i just have it running idle with only cpuid hwmonitor and the browser open nothing else. also have the max processor speed set to 75% in performance options. rubbing alcohol is essentially isopropyl alcohol yes?
    Yep, they're the same thing. Your old paste should be plenty good, though replacing it with the new stuff once it arrives couldn't hurt, obviously.

How much voltage is the cpu using? you said in another thread that you recently overclocked your 2500k to 4.5ghz, if you don't tweak the voltage down, it's gonna be high and your temps will be high. Also what's your cpu cooler?
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter