10+ Year Old Account

Rick Santorum on Bruce Jenner: ‘If He Says He’s a Woman, Then He’s a Woman’ (GGT)

http://time.com/3844757/rick-santoru...t-transgender/

The former Senator has sparked past controversies over opposition to gay rights

Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum, whose past opposition to gay rights has sparked backlash from LGBT rights groups, spoke Saturday in support of Bruce Jenner after the Olympian and TV personality came out publicly as transgender.

Santorum told reporters at a Republican convention in South Carolina that “if [Jenner] says he’s a woman, then he’s a woman,” CBS News reports. “My responsibility as a human being is to love and accept everybody. Not to criticize people for who they are.” The former lawmaker is said to be eyeing a 2016 presidential bid after losing the 2012 Republican nomination to Mitt Romney.

7+ Year Old Account
    Didn't we have a thread about this yesterday?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

I say I'm a god to be worshipped. Bow to me!!!!

Going to say the same thing I said in the other thread on this that was locked before I could hit reply.

Politicians will say what they have to say to get votes. And if they do not follow through on their word they will often times get voted out. If the Republicans actually wish to move away from the hardcore 'Christian Conservative' side of the party then helping the LGBT community would be a good first step.

Deleted
    Seems a bit disingenuous to refer to Jenner as "he" while making that statement.

If Bruce Jenner says he's a potato, then he's a potato!

There's no winning with these people...

15+ Year Old Account
    Politicians gonna politic. I really don't care about the opinion of someone who changes it by election cycles and popularity.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    He's a he. I don't get it...
    He suffers from Gender identity disorder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_identity_disorder

It's my understanding that the primary definition of the word woman is "adult human female". And it is also my understanding that biological sex doesn't have much to do with personal beliefs and speech. So I'm not sure how saying one is a woman makes them a woman.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    It's not that disingenuous but only because Jenner hasn't specifically said if he want's different pronouns or what he want's to be referred to pre-op.
    That is correct. Not all trans individuals wish to be identified as male when they're still presenting as male, but many do as it makes life easier in that middle stage. Diane Sawyer asked why she shouldn't call him she and he said it was because he hadn't fully transitioned yet. It's a personal choice on which verbage each person wants depending on how they feel during the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    It's my understanding that the primary definition of the word woman is "adult human female". And it is also my understanding that biological sex doesn't have much to do with personal beliefs and speech. So I'm not sure how saying one is a woman makes them a woman.
    You may not have the chromosomes of a male as a female or a female as a male, but they have shown the brain is different between the two. If you suffer from gender dysphoria or gender identity disorder (though the later is a bit older and not as kind) then you are internally the opposite gender to your born sex. This causes you extreme mental anguish, depression, and/or anxiety. Hence the desire to appear as the opposite gender so as to lessen anxiety, depression, and or mental anguish the body causes them. Pre-Transitioned individuals have one of the highest suicide attempts and success rates among any population group because of the issues their physical body causes them.
    Last edited by Spraxle; 2015-05-03 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle
    You may not have the chromosomes of a male as a female or a female as a male, but they have shown the brain is different between the two. If you suffer from gender dysphoria or gender identity disorder (though the later is a bit older and not as kind) then you are internally the opposite gender to your born sex. This causes you extreme mental anguish, depression, and/or anxiety. Hence the desire to appear as the opposite gender so as to lessen anxiety, depression, and or mental anguish the body causes them. Pre-Transitioned individuals have one of the highest suicide attempts and success rates among any population group because of the issues their physical body causes them.
    This makes absolutely zero sense. Your gender is a set of behaviors typically related to your sex. If you are feeling anguish, depression, and/or anxiety, those are signs of mental illness and should be treated as such. They have absolutely nothing to do with your gender because feelings aren't behaviors. If you like wearing dresses and high heels as a man, do it FFS. Don't let anyone stop you from wearing what you find is comfortable. But don't sit here and try to tell people that your 'inside gender is really a set of behaviors typically related to the opposite sex' because that is 100% bullshit. Gender is expressed on the exterior. Not interior.

And if it's such a big deal to relieve these feelings of depression, anguish, and anxiety, go see a psychologist so you can deal with them. Don't chop your dangly bits off in a desperate and futile attempt at pretending to be something you are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    This makes absolutely zero sense. Your gender is a set of behaviors typically related to your sex. If you are feeling anguish, depression, and/or anxiety, those are signs of mental illness and should be treated as such. They have absolutely nothing to do with your gender because feelings aren't behaviors. If you like wearing dresses and high heels as a man, do it FFS. Don't let anyone stop you from wearing what you find is comfortable. But don't sit here and try to tell people that your 'inside gender is really a set of behaviors typically related to the opposite sex' because that is 100% bullshit. Gender is expressed on the exterior. Not interior.

And if it's such a big deal to relieve these feelings of depression, anguish, and anxiety, go see a psychologist so you can deal with them. Don't chop your dangly bits off in a desperate and futile attempt at pretending to be something you are not.
    Except that every time they treat the feelings caused by gender dysphoria with medicine the patient doesn't respond to it. We have almost 80+ years of research in the field on transgenderism and drugs have never worked to 'cure' the person. That's because the issues stem from their body. It's hard to understand if you do not suffer from gender dysphoria or GID as gender is not something 'normal' people think about. They are just what they are and they don't think twice about it. I'm not going to copy and paste all of the information here, but if you are interested in reading up on this real condition then I suggest clicking here. It will take you to a reddit post where a transgender individual links to source after source explaining the whole thing.

Your argument also sounds like people said to homosexuals. That it was all in their head. They used to do horrible things to 'cure' homosexuals and it didn't work. I wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    But gender is a social construct. It has nothing to do with biology besides some of the stereotypical gendered behaviors having roots in hormonal differences between the sexes. Even if you liked the gendered behaviors of femininity more than you do masculinity, that does not make you biologically a woman. I'm aware of some individuals having actual female brains (and other body parts) due to a fairly rare case of hermaphrodite syndrome, but I'm not sure those apply to most transgendered/sexual individuals.

And concerning brain structure, I'd like to point out that brain structures tend to be very malleable. So I'm not sure if transgendered individuals have a different brain structure innately or if their brain became that way because of their thought patterns.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

10+ Year Old Account
    We already closed this thread once yesterday. We don't allow discussion of gender identity here, and these threads just turn into that and partisan bashing.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |