Unhappy [Resto] Heroic BlackHand - Please Help

Hi all, Need help with HPS on Heroic Blackhand. My healing has been terrible on this boss and is quite demoralizing. Unfortunately I don't have any logs recorded from this fight. Been running Incarnation: Tree of Life, DoC and Germination.

Have been struggling to hit much over 30k hps whereas on other Bosses like Kromog - 55k and Maidens - 40k.

I know it's hard to tell what I'm doing wrong without logs but any tips from other resto druids for this fight would be very much appreciated.

Deleted
    One thing that will greatly boost your overall healing is tranq. I usually use mine during one of the demolitions in P1 and then again in P3 after a smash. If you time it right it will give you a huge hps increase.

Other things to take into account are really just who is going to be taking damage and when. Again during the demolitions in P1, everybody will be taking a serious amount of damage so pre-hot as many people as you can, line up wild growth with the large ticks of demolition and pop a swiftmend or natures swiftness on anyone that drops lower than the rest. Also I'd suggest popping Tree during the demolition in which you don't tranq. Also just before the transition into P2 again pre-hot as many as you can and line up a wild growth with the damage spike. Keep healing on the way down!

During P2 I like to pre-hot anybody that is going to be going up onto the balcony, seeing as you can't heal them while they're up there (unless you go as well). Other than that just keep rejuvs rolling on the raid, wild growth pretty much off cooldown (if your spirit allows) and use any of your quick burst heals on anyone that fucks up (with mines, or failing to get behind the siege vehicles).

It can get quite hectic once the boss begins to reach the next transition stage so I often pop my second Tree around this point just to make sure everyone is healed up enough to avoid dying on the transition. Again, blanket the raid as best you can right up to the actual transition then get people topped up as you land.

In P3, as long as you have enough mana, just keep rejuvs rolling as before, wild growth off cd (more or less) and line up you tranq after one the smashes (make sure you coordinate with the rest of your raids CDs.

Without logs it's hard to see what you might be doing wrong but just remember to keep an eye on the up-time of lifebloom, wild mushroom and harmony. You obviously want as close to 100% up-time as possible.

Are you actually getting kills on the boss and if not, where about are you struggling/failing?

Quote Originally Posted by Klanks View Post
    Hi all, Need help with HPS on Heroic Blackhand. My healing has been terrible on this boss and is quite demoralizing. Unfortunately I don't have any logs recorded from this fight. Been running Incarnation: Tree of Life, DoC and Germination.

Have been struggling to hit much over 30k hps whereas on other Bosses like Kromog - 55k and Maidens - 40k.

I know it's hard to tell what I'm doing wrong without logs but any tips from other resto druids for this fight would be very much appreciated.
    So without logs it's hard to help because we can't make observations like HoT/Harmony/mushroom uptimes. Also, it's still difficult to give you advice without knowing more about your specific encounters, and that includes some things we would need to see first hand (which is not reasonable for us to expect to have of course).

Here are some general pointers and concerns I have for myself during this fight:

-Take HOTW over DoC. It's a long enough fight where you can use it twice and you can use it twice in the most important portions of the fight: P1 Demolitions & P3 -- both during much needed tranq's. Also, I consider DoC to be filler heals & not boosting effective healing like a tranq when you really need it. If you're using DoC during heavy healing because you're OOM, then you might be doing it wrong.

-Manage your placement of your mushroom effectively. Look at the comp of your raid and where your dropping it. Pay attention to the comp of your raid and determine if you are healing a more melee or ranged stacked raid. This will help determine placement and when it is most effective to drop it without wasting mana.

-Time your ToL to maximize healing and mana efficiency. Say you are assigned to tranq during the first demolition, but sure to pop your ToL as the second start and get those rejuvs up on the raid for "pre-healing". Most importantly, maximize your WG's during ToL... I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

-Find ways to manage your focus & time effectively. This is quintessential to WoW, work, & life. Stay focused and you will succeed. That's all raiding is -- a focus check. To manage this effectively we need to micromanage our attention and prioritize since we cannot realistically expect to pay attention to everything going on. I recommend a UI like Weak Auras or something similar to manage your lifebloom, mushroom & harmony -- that way when something important like those three tasks needs to be taken care of you can have a reminder for it, leaving you time to pay attention to the real important tasks like staying alive and not walking into a large demolition.

-A second point on time management. Learn the important parts of the fight (i.e. when major points of damage will occur and if possible, who they will occur on). Predicting these events effectively will take stress off of you and your healing team and allow you to be prepared for the situations that it seems like you are getting overwhelmed with.

Let me know if this helps.

-Art

Deleted

I don't think you need/want DoC.

I'll pick one of my logs and explain how I do:

6:30 mins fight, 5 healing (don't ask) with me being #1 by quite a bit
    685~ ilvl, moderate spirit (2100 spirit equivalent) - turned out being waaay too much even without mana pot, haste weapon enchant because cba (not a good idea probably)
    Tree / HotW / Germination
    50k HPS, slightly below 50% of which was overhealing with Tranq being the worst offender by a mile

Shroom in mid in p1
    Tranq#1 on a demolition (throw a WG right before and shortly after!!, don't let harmony drop)
    NS#1 between the demolitions and close to CD thereafter
    Tree#1 on the other demolition (tree before WG)
    Spam rejuv while you drop
    Shroom on boss in p2
    Spam WG in p2 (this sounds super weird and uncalled for, it will make your HPS explode)
    HotW during/after the drop into p3 (turned out covering both tranq and most of tree)
    at this point I mostly stopped dropping shrooms
    Spam rejuv while you drop
    Tranq#2 after the drop into p3
    Tree#2 mid p3

Effective healing done:
    WG 30%
    Rejuv 20%
    Tranq 15%
    Shroom / Rg / LB tied at ~8% each
    <all the minor heals>

Thanks heaps guys, very helpful.

It was a pug H BH which I was in last night ended up getting kicked because by Hps was so bad, it ranged from 30-40k.

First pull was 3% grrr lol. We must have done over 10 pulls total but got nowhere near 3% again ... kinda sucked because I had the mechanics all down pat just couldn't get my healing to a respectable level. I'm pretty sure it was people screwing up mechanics which was wiping us rather than my heals but hey I don't blame them for removing me my HPS wasn't up to a level expected on that boss

I was assigned to tranq in the first Demo. We had Hunters assigned to fox at the start so we could stay on the move.

It didn't help that on a couple of the pulls the hunters didn't fox in time and I wasted my Tranq having to move.

Is fox required to tranq in this stage in your opinions? Or is it possible to face tank a couple of the small demos? Perhaps throw an iron bark on myself before tranqing?

Very good point on HotW as I didn't use DoC at all really so that was a complete waste. Is it best to pop this right before using tranq?

For mushroom in both P1 & P2 I was generally keeping this under the Melee as the ranged seemed to spread to make good use of it.

It was my first time doing H BH but I had similar healing issues when doing N BH with my guild. Only pulling 30-35k hps.

Thanks again for the tips/advice I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help, will try all the above and let you know how I get on next time.

Thanks Erzengel you actually replied while I was typing.

You guys are all awesome thanks so much I feel I have a much better Idea of how to be more effective during this encounter
    Last edited by Klanks; 2015-05-04 at 11:43 PM.

Deleted
    It didn't help that on a couple of the pulls the hunters didn't fox in time and I wasted my Tranq having to move.
    You could BoP (paladin) if your hunters are so incapable of pressing buttons. I wouldn't wanna facetank a big demolition (not sure if lethal tbh).

Very good point on HotW as I didn't use DoC at all really so that was a complete waste. Is it best to pop this right before using tranq?
    I used HotW during the drop into p3 and covered my second tranq. Both my tranqs had similar overhealing. Make of that what you will.
    Imo there are ~5 lethal points in this encounter: 2 demo in p1, both the drops, and then all of p3. You don't typically need HotW tranq for p1, using it on the first drop feels like a waste. So essentially you can use 1 tree, 1 tranq and 1hotw from the second drop to the kill. This is strictly my take on the encounter, ymmv.

For mushroom in both P1 & P2 I was generally keeping this under the Melee as the ranged seemed to spread to make good use of it.
    Shroom is capped at 3, so it's kinda easy to place it. P1 feels more intuitive to place it on ranged imo. P2 agree.
    asdf 1234567890

Quote Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
    asdf 1234567890
    Quote Originally Posted by Erzengel
    I used HotW during the drop into p3 and covered my second tranq. Both my tranqs had similar overhealing. Make of that what you will.
    Imo there are ~5 lethal points in this encounter: 2 demo in p1, both the drops, and then all of p3. You don't typically need HotW tranq for p1, using it on the first drop feels like a waste. So essentially you can use 1 tree, 1 tranq and 1hotw from the second drop to the kill. This is strictly my take on the encounter, ymmv.
    If you have the 2pc tier 17 (which you should), you can generally toss out some HoT's and use your 3 NS for the drop to cover anyone that low. It is NOT a waste to hotw/tranq in P1. You have multiple CD's to cover a number of major damage events in this fight. It's a long enough encounter to swing HOTW into two of the most important parts of the fight. There is no reason not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Klanks
    Get fox out of your head. It's gone after the next patch and situations like demolition will need to almost exclusively reserved for BoP. I wouln't worry too much about small demo's. pop your ironbark as much as possible if you aren't already. You need to be tossing out your defensive CD's as often as possible without wasting them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcursis View Post
    If you have the 2pc tier 17 (which you should), you can generally toss out some HoT's and use your 3 NS for the drop to cover anyone that low.
    You could time it with the drop, which is a good idea. True. But to me, it's really whatever. I was never forced to optimize NS that much.

It is NOT a waste to hotw/tranq in P1. You have multiple CD's to cover a number of major damage events in this fight. It's a long enough encounter to swing HOTW into two of the most important parts of the fight. There is no reason not to.

Based on your faulty assumption that you can make use of two HotWs, the conclusion is correct. Thing is, there is no way to make use of two hearts in a 6 minute 30 Blackhand fight. The 'best' approach would be using it 30 seconds before the pull and only using the last 15 seconds of the first heart, so it's ready on the second drop. Sounds overcomplicated for a fucking heroic kill.

pop your ironbark as much as possible if you aren't already. You need to be tossing out your defensive CD's as often as possible without wasting them.
    This is one of the best tips for someone has figured out the basics (harmony,lb,wg).

Hi guys,

Joined another pug last night and did a bit better ... was pulling 38-42k hps which is at least an improvement.

Think I can get this up to mid to high 40s with some practice... still feel like too much of my focus is going on the mechanics rather than players health / harmony/lifebloom/mushroom uptime.

Do you guys have any tips on where to position in P2? I'm thinking sticking to the mid so that I'm not too close to the siege machines when the enter to avoid getting fixated but also at a central location so that I'm never to far away from one if I get marked?

Based on your faulty assumption that you can make use of two HotWs, the conclusion is correct. Thing is, there is no way to make use of two hearts in a 6 minute 30 Blackhand fight. The 'best' approach would be using it 30 seconds before the pull and only using the last 15 seconds of the first heart, so it's ready on the second drop. Sounds overcomplicated for a fucking heroic kill.
    That's actually what I did for our longer attempts when we were still progressing (6:30min attempts mainly). You need to pop it around 15s before pull to get the full effect during the 1st demo though. Definitely not necessary given that we had enough CDs to power through demos even without, but it wasn't detrimental to us since the way our CDs lined up, the last minute was always going to be the hardest part to heal.

I'm still undecided on Mushrooms in P2 though. I don't really notice much of a difference during pulls where I use it versus pulls where I try not to. Anyone got any views on this?

Hi guys,

Joined another pug last night and did a bit better ... was pulling 38-42k hps which is at least an improvement.

Think I can get this up to mid to high 40s with some practice... still feel like too much of my focus is going on the mechanics rather than players health / harmony/lifebloom/mushroom uptime.

Do you guys have any tips on where to position in P2? I'm thinking sticking to the mid so that I'm not too close to the siege machines when the enter to avoid getting fixated but also at a central location so that I'm never to far away from one if I get marked?
    I try to position myself between the boss and wherever the next siege is going to spawn. In any case, we have enough movement abilities (Displacer, Roar, Dash) to usually compensate for being caught out of position.

One thing to note is to try to Always Be Casting. Get MFD? You can always rejuv/SM/NS+RG while running behind the tank. Running back into position in P3? Do the same. I find that's one of the little things that rdruids get wrong (i.e. so focused on movement/mechanics that they forget to cast).
    Last edited by Dangerpaws; 2015-05-05 at 11:25 PM.

Deleted
    Also if you are getting hit by MfD in p3 just displacer right after getting hit :P
    Displacer is to this fight what BoP is to maidens. Half the mechanics are not even mechanics to druids ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerpaws View Post
    That's actually what I did for our longer attempts when we were still progressing (6:30min attempts mainly). You need to pop it around 15s before pull to get the full effect during the 1st demo though.
    Yeah, 6:30 is an awkward kill time for HotW. So it's -15 to cover demo in p1, and it's -30 to get a full 1 minute HotW in the last phase, and you can't use it pre-pull if you want to use it right at/after the second drop. The more you know o_O

Thanks everyone got my first kill last night No loot but still pretty happy.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if you are getting hit by MfD in p3 just displacer right after getting hit :P
    Displacer is to this fight what BoP is to maidens. Half the mechanics are not even mechanics to druids ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, 6:30 is an awkward kill time for HotW. So it's -15 to cover demo in p1, and it's -30 to get a full 1 minute HotW in the last phase, and you can't use it pre-pull if you want to use it right at/after the second drop. The more you know o_O
    Hmm that's really interesting about displace beast. So do you blink as soon as you get hit by the impale? What does that do?

Deleted
    Thanks everyone got my first kill last night No loot but still pretty happy.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm that's really interesting about displace beast. So do you blink as soon as you get hit by the impale? What does that do?
    Congrats!

Instead of getting thrown back - potentially off the platform - you just drop in place. Saves you the GCDs in the air and running back, plus you can never get kicked off the platform no matter how bad your positioning may be. Not an issue in organized groups but in randoms you can be forced into a bad position, or play nice and make room for someone else and take a less favorable position to take the spear impact. It's nothing special, probably sounded cooler than it is ^^

Congrats!

Instead of getting thrown back - potentially off the platform - you just drop in place. Saves you the GCDs in the air and running back, plus you can never get kicked off the platform no matter how bad your positioning may be. Not an issue in organized groups but in randoms you can be forced into a bad position, or play nice and make room for someone else and take a less favorable position to take the spear impact. It's nothing special, probably sounded cooler than it is ^^
    That's still pretty cool. When do you pop displacer ? Just before it hits you? or the second it hits you?

That's still pretty cool. When do you pop displacer ? Just before it hits you? or the second it hits you?
    you get hit, then you use it.