Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    From reading the manga. I know Gantz starts off pretty dark and it doesn't get much better at all throughout the entire series. I'm not entirely sure if the anime is 100% following it or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Kissanime isn't any more illigal then youtube.
    There are shows on their site that they do not have the licens to air. That makes the site illegal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    Yeah, the wonderful thing about Madoka Magica is that it goes through the effort to sell you on the sterotypical magical girl illusion before it pulls the rug out from under your feet. Great show.
    Yeah, it's the king of bait and switch.

I've often said watch the first episode, you'll hate me for recommending it to you, watch the second episode and you'll hate yourself for watching... Watch the third episode and you'll be hate that you ever have to stop watching, then once you've watched the final episode, you'll hate that it's all over.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Yeah, it's the king of bait and switch.

I've often said watch the first episode, you'll hate me for recommending it to you, watch the second episode and you'll hate yourself for watching... Watch the third episode and you'll be hate that you ever have to stop watching, then once you've watched the final episode, you'll hate that it's all over.
    thats how i felt about Yuri Kuma Arashi

shabadadoo

D Gray Man
    Princess Mononoke (not great)
    Vampire Hunter D
    Inuyasha (kind of)
    X-1999
    Shadow Skills (kind of)
    FMA
    Legend of the Legendary Heroes
    11 Eyes
    07 Ghost
    Ninja Scroll

- - - Updated - - -

Berserk (anime)

If not already mentioned, Vampire Hunter D.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    No one has mentioned Attack on Titan? Or Elfen Lied? Btoom! is pretty serious as well. I don't usually care as much for dark and serious as comedy.
    Attack on titan is a terrible anime that is for some reason loved by all. It's overdone, overdramatized, filled with boring nonsense. And completely predictable.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

This is a nice list though I recommend the Neon Genesis Evangelion original remastered series + the movie because the older art style really adds a lot. I would also add Witch Hunter Robin, Tokyo Grandfathers, Hellsing and Ergo Proxy.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2015-05-06 at 03:55 AM.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Surprised no one mentioned Berserk. Pretty damn dark, and a little creepy at times.

I loved that one. Guts ftw

Aku no hana is supposed to be pretty dark. Haven't seen it yet, but apparently (and I quote a friend here) the director of the anime said his wish was to leave the viewers with a scar, and the Manga Authors intention was to murder the emotions of his readers.

Berserk is brilliant, and really quite dark. The old anime series at least, the more recent trilogy wasn't as good.

10+ Year Old Account
    1-Monster
    2-Berserk
    3-Psycho Pass
    4-Wolf's Rain
    5-Hellsing Ultimate
    6-Attack on Titans
    7-Blood+
    8-Vampire hunter D

These are the ones come to my mind.

Maybe I missed it but no Fate/Zero mentions? Imo probably one of the top 5 best animes ever made (It'd be my number 1 if the ending wasn't leading onto the next series). Mature, makes as much sense as a world with magic can and has great characters. Also blows anything else mentioned out of the water when it comes to animation the only thing that's better then it is the next series fate/stay night (2014)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    Maybe I missed it but no Fate/Zero mentions? Imo probably one of the top 5 best animes ever made (It'd be my number 1 if the ending wasn't leading onto the next series). Mature, makes as much sense as a world with magic can and has great characters. Also blows anything else mentioned out of the water when it comes to animation the only thing that's better then it is the next series fate/stay night (2014)
    Yeah but it's not about being best or favorite it's about being dark and gloomy you know.

As nobody mentioned it yet: Knights of Sidonia (available on Netflix). A mature and contemporary version of Macross / Robotech imo. Really liked it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    Some that were mentioned in this thread and I don't recommend because they're either boring, crap or both:
    - Now and then, here and there
    On the contrary - I highly recommend this because I hardly think that it is either boring or crap.

I gotta second Shinsekai yori, from page 1. Probably the most depressing and disgusting setting I've seen in an anime so far, which I found weird considering how at odds it is with its art style.

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    Some that were mentioned in this thread and I don't recommend because they're either boring, crap or both:
    - Now and then, here and there
    - Deadman Wonderland
    - Elfenlied
    Most animes (or indeed TV shows or entertainment in general) is boring and crap if you're not interested in the story, characters, themes, etc.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    JoJo's bizarre adventure has some really dark moments (especially part 4 onwards) but its hard to notice due everything shining and fabulous people distracting you with they wonderful bodies.

Deleted
    Try some Urotsukidōji?

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Berserk
    Hellsing Ultimate
    Knights of Sidonia
    Blade of the immortal
    Outlaw star (classic!)
    Trigun (if you have not seen this I would be surprised) Badlands rumble (movie) is also really good.

I know most of those are repeats, but all of those on that list should be watched by pretty much every anime fan!

My personal recommendations would be Fate/Zero, Ergo Proxy, Wolf's Rain, and Akame ga Kill.