Looking for help to build/buy a new computer!

Hello,

This is my first time posting here, although i've had a look around. My PC is 5-6 years old now and recently i've began to spend more time using it, so I think it's time for an upgrade. My knowledge of computer components is limited at best so i'm looking for some help. Most of my time on the PC is spent playing WoW, Hearthstone, Civ or other undemanding games but I would like to have the capability to play GTA V for example at max settings. I would also like to have the capability to stream.

Budget: £1000-1200
    Resolution: 22", 1080p
    Games/settings: Wow, Hearthstone, Civ, intend to play other new games - max settings are desirable
    Any other intensive software or special things you do: Potentially streaming
    Parts that can be reused: No re-usable parts.
    Do you need an OS: Yes
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc): No

Please let me know if my budget/expectations do not align or if you need any further information at all. I know that many of you use the PC Part Picker tool but if possible it would be very useful if you were able to select a list of components from the 'Overclockers' website (can't link due to lack of posts), though I welcome any/all advice or information.

Thanks in advance!

Lopsey

It's easy enough to have pcpartpicker show a single vendor. Here you go.

Hold on, need to fix this, some parts not available from your selected vendor.

Going single vendor ups the price considerably and this is without a case as I could not find one I like.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£209.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 87.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£33.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£89.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£128.69 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£98.69 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.90 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card (£479.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£80.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£85.73 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Total: £1257.35
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-05 15:02 BST+0100

If i leave it on all vendors, with a case, it's cheaper than going all overclockers, though I am sure if I spent some time on the overclockers site I could find similar quality components for under your budget, I just don't have the time ATM.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£184.66 @ Ebuyer)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 87.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.74 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£79.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£100.62 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.46 @ More Computers)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.28 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card (£469.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.19 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£69.14 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£76.74 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £1168.98
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-05 15:03 BST+0100

Deleted
    I believe a gtx980 is way overkill for those resolutions and waste of money. Unless op plans to drop some serious cash on monitor(s)...
    Anyway going by your pref merchant and availability on it as well:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£299.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 87.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£33.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£114.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£113.69 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£98.69 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.90 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£291.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£69.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£85.73 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Total: £1227.94
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-05 15:48 BST+0100

You can just get 2x4gb of ram for now if you can't go for the little extra bit on cost. You may not even need 16gb if you don't do much while gaming.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-05-05 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    I believe a gtx980 is way overkill for those resolutions and waste of money. Unless op plans to drop some serious cash on monitor(s)...
    Anyway going by your pref merchant and availability on it as well:
    Yeah, I knew it was overkill, but if he widened his vendors it easily fit in the budget and would make the PC last longer.

Thanks alot guys, really appreciate the help from both of you. Think i'm gonna go with that build Kostattoo.

With regards to building it myself and no prior knowledge - should it be easy enough using online guides etc?

Thanks,

Lopsey

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to move this to the build/upgrade subforum!
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Lopsey View Post
    Thanks alot guys, really appreciate the help from both of you. Think i'm gonna go with that build Kostattoo.

With regards to building it myself and no prior knowledge - should it be easy enough using online guides etc?

Thanks,

Lopsey
    Yes. It is far easier than you think and the parts are not as delicate as you think either. Stuff generally only fits where it is going to go and really the only slightly difficult part is getting to cords for the HDD LED, power and reset button on in the right spot. They are usually labelled on the motherboard but the print is tiny and is hard for some people to read. If this is the case for you, you can just check the motherboards manual, it will tell you where to plug everything in.

Ok thanks, my brother knows what he is doing so i'll enlist his help!

Just one final thing, would the NZXT Phantom Enthusiast USB3.0 Full Tower Case - White be a suitable alternative to the case posted above by Kostattoo? I'm aware it is unecessarily large (huge full tower case) and overly expensive for my requirements but I really like the look of it. Will it host all of the components listed by Kostattoo?

Thanks,

Lopsey

Deleted
    Yes there is no problems with the case, take it if you like it. I generally don't like big/full tower cases unless you got 2-3gpus and/or custom water loop. They neither give better airflow and if anything they take more room, case seems empty with a single gpu setup like yours and requires more time to clean There is nothing enthusiast about that case tho

I'll give a few other good options and just whatever you want, all will do, some a little better than other on some things but in general good cases worth their money:

Corsair 450D
    Fractal Design R5
    NZXT H440
    NZXT Noctis
    Phanteks Enthoo Pro and Enthoo Luxe

Thanks for the great suggestions!

This might sound like a really stupid question but... don't I also need to buy a CD drive?

Thanks,

Lopsey

Deleted
    Well do you? I haven't used one in almost 2 years. If you need one then buy one, a cheap DVD writer is 15-20bucks. Beware the case you will buy tho. Some cases, like many NZXT ones don't have drives bays and you would need to get an external one which costs a little more. Go with what you like more doesn't affect the rest of the build only case if it has optical drive cages.

edit: if you got an old sata one from your previous rig that works well, you can use that too.

Really appreciate all the help Kostattoo.