People seem to enjoy Life mods.

You have Altis Life from Arma 3 which is pretty cool. Arma 3 Life, which is strict on RP. You can play as a civilian or police. Then you have similar mods from Arma 2. Then you have some of the GTA life mods.. People really seem to enjoy these type of games.. Why hasn't any major gaming company decided to take advantage of it? Make an online/single player game where you can play a cop, firefighter, EMT, or a plain civilian that follows the law or is a criminal.

Everyone jumped on the zombie survival thing once they realized how popular the DayZ mod was.. I'm surprised they're not jumping on the "Life" mods that also seems to be popular. Unless they are and I'm not aware of it.

I think people like to watch other people playing life mods (they are fairly popular on Twitch) but i don't think there is a big market for people playing them. The Asylum guys barely got their Identity game financed on Kickstarter and they were massively pushed by popular streamer like lirik. I don't see why many devs should jump on that train.
    And you need actual roleplayers to play those games, there are not that many of them around. Everybody can play survival games, not everybody can roleplay.
    Just my 2 cents.