7+ Year Old Account

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Hey there, I was wanting to know peoples thoughts and or opinions on Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You see, I'm looking for games to tide me over until The Witcher 3 and I just recently found out about this series, but not entirely sure what it is. What kind of game genre is it? Is it an RPG? A stealth-shooter type? Also is the story solid?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    RPG-1st person-shooter, like Fallout 3/NV or Elder Scrolls. Human Revolution was and is an AMAZING game,- the story, the ambience, the gameplay... Mmmmm! Seriously,- 10/10, only downside is that it's short'ish, like 30'ish hours.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Give it a go. You won't be sorry.

7+ Year Old Account
    So, I should probably get the directors cut as well to learn about everything?

Solid stealth-based game, decent FPS mechanics (they work, but are so-so at best if you go for a run & gun character), poorly designed boss fights (these were outsourced and don't fit well into the overall design of the game), horrible ending(s). I'd says its worth a play if you can get it cheap.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandrace View Post
    Yup,- also adds money and guns.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

7+ Year Old Account
    Well the only other RPG shooters I've played were Fallout 3/New Vegas and the Mass Effect trilogy so is this different in some regards?

Definitely a must play if you haven't yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Well the only other RPG shooters I've played were Fallout 3/New Vegas and the Mass Effect trilogy so is this different in some regards?
    It has some differences (the hacking mini games) but the shooting mechanics are fairly similar. However, unlike those games there is usually more than one way to complete a mission in Deus Ex: HR

Hey there, I was wanting to know peoples thoughts and or opinions on Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You see, I'm looking for games to tide me over until The Witcher 3 and I just recently found out about this series, but not entirely sure what it is. What kind of game genre is it? Is it an RPG? A stealth-shooter type? Also is the story solid?
    It's a good game. Don't expect to be blown away like with Deus Ex 1, but it's solid. It has feels.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Deus Ex puts more focus on being able to stealthily handle every situation (prepare to crawl through a lot of ventilation shafts), and having more than one approach, like being able to enter a building for your objective through the main door (guns blazing), rooftop entrance (figuring out how the heck you get up there), or basement (get past electronic defenses).

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the plot was meh and the gameplay becomes kind of repetitive in a while. Still, since there are few Sci-Fi RPGs released these days, I'd say this game is worth playing through once.

The combat itself is somewhat similar to that of Mass Effect: you hide behind a cover and shoot enemies down. Stealth is more interesting, you can, in fact, get through the whole game without killing anyone but 4 bosses (that's what I did), and there are some interesting ways you can to approach certain cases, there are usually, at least, a few different ways to get to your destination without attracting attention.

Soundtrack in this game is absolutely amazing, and graphics is very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    The directors cut integrates the DLC, changes the boss fights up a bit and improves a bunch of other things. There were issues with patch features missing when it came out though, so you should check if that has been fixed.

In general its a really good game. I really liked the conversation minigame where you have to convince people based on their facial reactions and the story is quite deep if you read the e-books scattered around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like others have said, its an FPS-RPG. As you gain experience you will gain points to unlock different features of your cybernetics, letting you choose to advance the skills that fit your playstyle. Similarly, weapons also have a variety of upgrades, and due to the inventory system you can't carry them all with you, so choose your signature weapons carefully (Massive Revolver with Explosive Rounds was my favorite). Throughout the game there are a wide number of options on how you choose to approach the obstacles, with Stealth and Non-Lethal awarding the most XP (due to their obvious difficulty).

The story is very well written, paced, and acted. It draws heavily on the Sci-Fi Noir classic Bladerunner, and deals primarily with the issue of transhumanism, and issue we will eventually have to deal with as synthetic body parts become superior to normal body parts. There is a lot of intrigue and illuminati style secret keeping that can seem a bit much at times, but overall it works for the theme and the tone of the game. One of my favorite parts of this game is that the characters and their relationships do actually change and evolve as the story progresses, with enemies becoming friends and friends becoming adversaries as betrayals and motivations are revealed.

Overall I do highly recommend this game. There are only a handful of parts that feel "videogamey", but its a solid game and story that I wish there was more of.

I thought the game was really good, but as others have said it does get a bit repetitive after a while. When they released the DLC for it, I just watched a let's play of it instead of playing through the game, because though I wanted to know the story of the DLC the game's mechanics didn't entertain me anymore at that point. Was alright for one playthrough, though.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Awesome game. Boss battles are kinda awkward though, since if you're playing stealth based(which you really should IMO as it adds a lot more to the game)it ends up being a completely different experience. But the boss fights are so few(only 3? 4 I guess if you count the last boss who is different IIRC)that it's not that big of a deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the best games i've ever played. Rich story, great combat mechanics, awesome characters. It's not too complicated but enough to be entertaining.

Waiting for this now (seen on steam today):

This trailer is so fucking sick!
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

For me it felt very close to Mass Effect. In a very good way. It's a bit like Mass Effect (graphics, music, futuristic) and Dishonored (stealth-based "get through this with least possbible casualties... or guns blazing, or both" combat) had a child.