Laptop for school and gaming, but cheap

Hey guys

Im looking to buy a new laptop and Im not really good at knowing what to look for. I want a laptop i can use for school as well as gaming. Doesnt need high end graphics or anything, just enough to play Wow at average graphics with no lag. I'm looking to spend around $500 or so, but am willing to go over if need be. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

For that price, don't think you'll get much especially no lag

Deleted
    • Budget
    • Resolution
    • Games / Settings Desired
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    • Country
    • Parts that can be reused
    • Do you need an OS?
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by lunaru View Post
    For that price, don't think you'll get much especially no lag
    I was afraid of that. My previous laptop was cheap (like 300) and runs it fair enough, so i was hoping spending a little more would smooth it out

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    • Budget
    • Resolution
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    • Country
    • Do you need an OS?
    Its gonna be a laptop, so no peripherals needed. Budget is between 500-700 about. Resolution doesnt nned to be good. Even just playing WoW on "Fair" with no lag will be good enough for me. Only game I really play is WoW. No intensive software. Country is US. No resuable parts that I know of (like I said, not good with computers). And as far as I know, dont laptops come with windows 7 or 8 for an OS?

- - - Updated - - -

Also in case theres any confusion, Id like to add that Im not looking to build my own setup or anything, just looking for suggestions for cheap, decent quality laptops that can play WoW on Fair graphics settings. no need for Ultra graphics or anything like that

15+ Year Old Account
    • Budget
    • Resolution
    • Country
    • Do you need an OS?
    Congratulations on not reading the OP at all.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't mind refurbished products this Leveno would do nicely.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834318634

• Budget
    • Resolution
    • Country
    • Do you need an OS?
    Did you even read his post?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Congratulations on not reading the OP at all.
    Unnecessary and condescending reply.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Did you even read his post?
    Calm down both of you, OP already replied no need to post them same useless comment. Yes it did go fast and I didn't get to read it all, it happens sometimes. Now let's get back on topic young ones.

Also in case theres any confusion, Id like to add that Im not looking to build my own setup or anything, just looking for suggestions for cheap, decent quality laptops that can play WoW on Fair graphics settings. no need for Ultra graphics or anything like that
    Yeah my bad, I was looking at multiple topics and I went a little fast
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2015-05-06 at 08:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop harping on posters and please just assist the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    If you don't mind refurbished products this Leveno would do nicely.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834318634
    Seems pretty good. the ony thing I noticed what that it said 2.00 GHz which is less than my current one (which is 2.4). however an amateur google search said it may still be better since its i7 compared to my current i3. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah my bad, I was looking at multiple topics and I went a little fast
    Haha no problem, I figured as much which is why i updated lol

Quote Originally Posted by chalon9 View Post
    Seems pretty good. the ony thing I noticed what that it said 2.00 GHz which is less than my current one (which is 2.4). however an amateur google search said it may still be better since its i7 compared to my current i3. Can anyone confirm?

Haha no problem, I figured as much which is why i updated lol
    Well, an i7 is quad core and an i3 is dual, so it's better there. Also, clock speed can only be used as a point of reference within the same generation of chips. An i5-4690K is faster than an i5-2500k even if they are OCed to the same clock speed. So if your current one is a few generations old, then yes, the 2.0 is likely faster than the 2.4. What is the exact model of the CPU in your current one and I can give more info.

Also, come one people, even for a laptop, the first 5 questions in the sticky ARE still entirely relevant. So is the last one, laptop users need mice and headsets too ya know. May even want a second monitor to extend to while at home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Well, an i7 is quad core and an i3 is dual, so it's better there. Also, clock speed can only be used as a point of reference within the same generation of chips. An i5-4690K is faster than an i5-2500k even if they are OCed to the same clock speed. So if your current one is a few generations old, then yes, the 2.0 is likely faster than the 2.4. What is the exact model of the CPU in your current one and I can give more info.

Also, come one people, even for a laptop, the first 5 questions in the sticky ARE still entirely relevant. So is the last one, laptop users need mice and headsets too ya know. May even want a second monitor to extend to while at home.
    Not all i7's in laptops are quad core. All i5's are dual core in laptops as well. Personally I wouldn't want to game on a laptop. You'll eventually run into problems with heat and the performance will be much worse compared to a desktop. I've tried to make gaming on a laptop work and it eventually becomes an overpriced desktop.

What I would do is buy a relatively cheap laptop and save the rest for a desktop. Someone gave me an old Asus X201E with a bad power connector. Bought a new one for $5 and soldered it on and now I have a working cheap Ultrabook that can barely play Minecraft. By barely I mean I have to turn down settings and still the game is barely 20 fps. But it browses the web fine and would work fine in Office or school work.

I would get something like this for $200 and build a decent $500 desktop PC. A G3258 with a 750 Ti would destroy majority of laptops in the market. In reality it would only cost $400 in parts but the OS is $100.

Don't get a Laptop. I did the same thinking I'd use it for University and I just didn't make enough use of it to make it worth having a Laptop compared to a Desktop. Getting a Desktop is a far better option in almost all ways. There is likely to be no reason you'll need a Laptop while studying. You can still take your work home, work on it at your Desktop and then when it gets a little dated, you can keep it updated.

I wish I could go back and get a Desktop instead of a Laptop.