Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Is a bots' right movement inevitable?

It may be decades away before we get AI that's advanced enough for us to connect with, but when it does happen and they're intelligent enough to have pseudo-sentience do you think there'd be people clamoring for rights and do so more and more as bots get more intelligent?

Also would you support a movement like that if the bots were smart enough to be like one of us?

I've seen The Matrix enough times to know better than to marginalize intelligent machines.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think human-like AI is way further off than people think, but yes there will be (and kind of already are) movements for their rights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I've seen The Matrix enough times to know better than to marginalize intelligent machines.
    What are you talking about? Every example of oppressing androids worked out to our benefit and never ever ended with the end of man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I think human-like AI is way further off than people think, but yes there will be (and kind of already are) movements for their rights.
    I have seen a couple of joke subreddits for bots right.

I don't think it's that advanced where you can take it seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    If a bot was smart enough to be like one of us, it would be dumb as a fucking brick compared to other bots.

I can't even fathom how much we would have to fuck up to create an AI that was ONLY as smart as we are.

If it can think for itself, has a sense of self, then yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Nuke them before Skynet comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    What are you talking about? Every example of oppressing androids worked out to our benefit and never ever ended with the end of man.
    The Machine Lobby has already arrived!

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    While it would be a nice gesture, we're nowhere close to having a dolphin's rights movement, and they're clearly extremely intelligent, just less so than us. I don't think a robot would get as much support.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    While it would be a nice gesture, we're nowhere close to having a dolphin's rights movement, and they're clearly extremely intelligent, just less so than us. I don't think a robot would get as much support.
    Dolphins may be intelligent but they don't have legs and hands like us... and they rape a lot.

Robots can literally end up being a carbon copy of one of us and we can program whatever culture it's master so desires. Simply because of this alone, this humanity factor, I think robots might actually have a chance if the AI gets complex enough.

I move to immediately outlaw the word toaster as it is discriminatory.

Deleted
    As soon as we make bots think for themselves to a level where they show emotions and/or pain whether that be physical or mental they deserve the same rights to protect them from harm as humans would.

Next thing you know you'll have computers saying shit like "I identify as a Power Mac"

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, Data's my favorite TNG character, of course I'd be all for AI rights.
    Weird Al - I never feed trolls and I don't read spam
    Galen Hallcyon - The internet has shown us that everyone is a fuckin' moron.

AI equivalent to human should be able to access human rights. A dog equivalent AI should be allowed to access dog level rights.

In the future, people will want to bring back dead relatives. You might not be able to bring back their consciousness, but can you create a machine with consciousness that acts very similar to your dead relatives? Possibly. Ray Kurtzweil in an interview said this is his plan: To bring his personality back in the form of a robot. Such AI might actually be a large factor in spear heading any rights movement, since we want the best for our relatives, or entity that acts and looks like our deceased relatives. A good number of them will for sure create AI that will actually want rights like the rest of us. It is for this reason AI rights could be inevitable. Oh.. and lets not forget that a good number of us will want to transfer our consciousness into AI systems, and we will still want to retain our desires to keep our rights.

I've heard claims that you can simply avoid the issue all together by simply designing systems that don't want rights. While some will do this, not everyone will agree that this is the best way to design an AI. AI that want rights should get them.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2015-05-06 at 12:02 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    But do they have emotions? Because that's the only thing that differs us from "animals". We already have official laws to protect them from physical harm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    It is, but once you hit the point where AI can think for itself for even a tiny bit it advances at a rate we won't be able to keep up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Next thing you know you'll have computers saying shit like "I identify as a Power Mac"
    Typical IOS scum, I identify as a vacuum cleaner! Stop oppressing my rumba-kin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    God made humans to give handjobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

Any time this topic comes up I reference this episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation". IMO one of the best pieces of SciFi that there is.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

But when will we have PEOPLE saying shit like that?

Deleted
    Surely an AI would be instantly smarter than us. Truth of the matter is if we ever create an AI it will probably find us completely irrelevant and go off and do its own thing.
    The real question is would an AI give us human rights?

No thats stupid. Lets just program them to not get offended so that they dont care about rights.