How do you find out what you want to do for a career?

Thread title.

I am 21 currently in my fourth semester for Chemical Engineering @ a local college. I can probably get a decent well paying job as a result o f this, but I am unsure if it's something I want to do for the REST of my life. 35 years is a long time. I don't mind the calculations and work etc, but I've always had a passion for other things. Film Making for example. I used to record Machinima on World of Warcraft as a kid because I enjoyed it, when the fuck have I ever done chemistry for fun? Not really ever.

Unfortunately making it as a Film Director or Visual Effects Supervisor or anything movie-related is practically impossible from what i have read up on. What are your thoughts MMO-Champion? I could chase my 'dream' and end up becoming a starving artist for most of my life.... Realistically I feel as though finishing my degree would be the best option and feeling it out from there.

Deleted
    Flip a coin.

Dude, you got to do what you want to do. If you want to pursue film making then do it. It's going to be a gamble whether you succeed at it. I can tell you if you hate what you do then every day is miserable. I would rather be a struggling artist than a successful engineer if I hated engineering. That's just me, though.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

If you're almost done with the Chemical Engineering degree I'd say finish that. Use it to find a job and get some money under your belt. While you're working your 9 to 5 work on your passion some. The world isn't the way it used to be and you still have to finance your dream(s). Nothing stopping you from taking some classes on the weekend either while you work.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Finish your schooling and this way you have a fall back in case what ever else you decide to try falls through.

Didn't you OP make a thread about the very same thing like a month ago?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

You go to work, hate your life and deal with it, keep your mind on other things or keep it occupied with your work so you don't think about anything else, time will fly by.

Magic 8 ball.