Help building a computer

Hey there, folks of MMO-C.

As the title suggests, I'm thinking of finally getting my first "custom" computer. Been a long time coming... And I'm still pretty much a complete newb well, that's why I'm here!

Basically looking for a computer that could run preeeetty much any game with decent graphics. So indeed, a gaming computer. Not sure what other specs I could give you guys? My budget is pretty flexible, but I'm not looking for any kind of a beast machine. How far would you guys say ~1-2k (euros) would get me? Or what would be the amount of money required for a computer I described?

Oh, and I'm just looking for the actual computer. No need for a monitor or any of that jazz.

Thanks for the help

15+ Year Old Account
    So to be clear, you don't need any peripherals, just the tower itself? Okay. What resolution do you intend on playing at?

2k euros is quite a hefy PC. You'd definitely be getting a BEEFY rig with 2k Euros. What's your definitive budget? 2k Euros is equal to 2.2k US dollars, which is a lot of money.

If that's truly your budget and you're looking to get the most out of your money, take a look at this. This will beast mode any game on Ultra probably at 1440 resolution, and get most games on 4k resolution. Take your pic on a 1 or 2 TB HDD, but everything else will do you good.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xN4pnQ
    Last edited by Master Guns; 2015-05-06 at 05:37 AM.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    So to be clear, you don't need any peripherals, just the tower itself? Okay. What resolution do you intend on playing at?

2k euros is quite a hefy PC. You'd definitely be getting a BEEFY rig with 2k Euros. What's your definitive budget? 2k Euros is equal to 2.2k US dollars, which is a lot of money.

If that's truly your budget and you're looking to get the most out of your money, take a look at this. This will beast mode any game on Ultra probably at 1440 resolution, and get most games on 4k resolution. Take your pic on a 1 or 2 TB HDD, but everything else will do you good.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xN4pnQ
    Hey man, thanks for the reply and your work on picking out those components. That does look really beefy, I doubt I'd need that sick of a machine honestly have zero clue what a decent gaming setup would cost, kinda just threw those figures out there. Would ~a grand less costing setup still be viable? Money isn't really an issue since I'm planning on getting all the components from a specific store and pay in installments. Still, not intending to go crazy

The resolution I'll be using is 1920x1080.

EDIT: How would something like this do? It's a prebuilt "custom" computer the store sells.

CPU: Intel® Xeon E3-1231v3 3.4GHz OR Intel® Core™ i5-4690K 3.5GHz (which one of these would be better, or is there no difference?)
    GPU: nVidia GTX 960, 2Gt GDDR5
    RAM: 8Gt (2x4Gt) DDR3 1600MHz
    240Gt Sata3 SSD

It's a full package, just listed the information that matters (I think?). That'd set me back 1 230€, which is around 1 381$. Would probably have to add an HDD though.
    Last edited by Soilx3; 2015-05-06 at 06:11 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You should really try to avoid custom prebuilts. Just build it yourself.

Deleted
    The following is a beasty pc on a black/red theme, without breaking the bank, comes around 1500euro.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£267.95 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 113.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£46.98 @ Novatech)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£111.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£95.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£77.94 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.36 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£269.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£64.99 @ Novatech)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£64.44 @ Amazon UK)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£76.74 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £1118.91
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-06 11:41 BST+0100

15+ Year Old Account
    With this kind of budget why skimp so hard on a PSU? Bronze semi modular?

Deleted
    Why whats the difference between semi and fully modular? You won't connect the 24 or 8 pin or you will save money from your bill by going gold instead of bronze? At the time to looking the build the gold ones were not worth the price difference. Care to elaborate for your comment?

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd say most would recommend getting a Gold rated PSU for the quality assurance and peace of mind. Why not?

He may be interested in SLI. With his budget there is no reason not to. Most semi modular PSUs don't allow for enough GPU connections.

You're essentially hamstringing him from the get go, with a not so much future proofed PSU with relatively low wattage and no headroom for advancement. That's not the type of quality this kind of budget warrants.
    Last edited by Master Guns; 2015-05-06 at 05:35 PM.

Deleted
    Low wattage? Its already too much for this setup, 500w would have been enough with headroom. There is no future proof, noone said anything about sli...and i proposed a 970 which is more than he needs, he said 1080p. So sli 970 for 1080p or are we here "future-proofing" for the maybe 4k resolution he/she might get in 5-6years? Even in that case you will be better performance and budget wise get a new gpu than going sli.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't aware people couldn't buy 4K tvs for another 6 years. My b.