Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    No, the stereotype of the American coming in, ignoring the actual conversation just to defend some asinine comment about America is very very common. You just did it.
    No, that isn't common either. I'll ignore the fact that it has nothing to do with what I described. It's something else entirely.

The stereotype you probably mean is American's going to a country, ignoring their language and customs and then declaring their way the correct way.

Something isn't a stereotype because you just deem it so. The way the topic is presented was stupid. And I see many topics that paint one state in a negative light like everyone in that state is of some hive mind. It's dumb. I am not even defending Texas. Texas has it's issues too. If anything I am attacking people who love stereotypes...so I guess that means you too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaSwoosh View Post
    No, that isn't common either.
    It is very common that team america safes the day there is a certain defensive reflex and broad general accusations like eurotrash and so forth might get used.

Probably the rift in nationalism is showing there.

No, that isn't common either. I'll ignore the fact that it has nothing to do with what I described. It's something else entirely.

The stereotype you probably mean is American's going to a country, ignoring their language and customs and then declaring their way the correct way.

Something isn't a stereotype because you just deem it so. The way the topic is presented was stupid. And I see many topics that paint one state in a negative light like everyone in that state is of some hive mind. It's dumb. I am not even defending Texas. Texas has it's issues too. If anything I am attacking people who love stereotypes...so I guess that means you too.
    Oh so only stereotypes you know of are stereotypes. Got it. You're arguing for common sense, everyone with enough brain cells to rub together knows that because something happened in one state doesn't mean the entire state supports it. But here you are, assuming everyone doesn't do that and that Texas needs to be defended all the while not actually contributing to the topic at hand. Which you have now made me do, so i'll leave it there.

Oh so only stereotypes you know of are stereotypes. Got it. You're arguing for common sense, everyone with enough brain cells to rub together knows that because something happened in one state doesn't mean the entire state supports it. But here you are, assuming everyone doesn't do that and that Texas needs to be defended all the while not actually contributing to the topic at hand. Which you have now made me do, so i'll leave it there.
    And who is new to the internet now? You do realize that there are a good number of people out there who truly believe that liking and sharing a FB pic somehow gets a kid a surgery free of charge.

And who is new to the internet now? You do realize that there are a good number of people out there who truly believe that liking and sharing a FB pic somehow gets a kid a surgery free of charge.
    So you're going to do this in every single thread you partake in. Can't wait. How's it worked so far? Pointing out that generalization isn't always accurate, have you fixed the internets stupidity yet?

So you're going to do this in every single thread you partake in. Can't wait. How's it worked so far? Pointing out that generalization isn't always accurate, have you fixed the internets stupidity yet?
    Go check. I posted in other threads already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdatik View Post
    Condoms have a 18% failure rate when used incorrectly, not correctly.
    Thank you for pointing that out. Some sources say that when used correctly, condoms still have a failure rate of 2%. Assuming that's more accurate when it comes to correct use, would you be okay with having sex with an HIV positive person if you had a condom?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Thank you for pointing that out. Some sources say that when used correctly, condoms still have a failure rate of 2%.
    That's 2% per year, not per act of intercourse.

And that's why every sensible sex education program recommends using 2 or more methods.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    That's 2% per year, not per act of intercourse.
    No, the material I've been looking at clearly does not say "per year." C. Everett Koop, the late surgeon general, claimed they had a 10% failure rate when used correctly and he backed it up. That was back in the 80s and condoms haven't changed that much since then (still made of latex, etc).

The bottom line is, nobody would trust a condom as their means of protection if they knew matter-of-factly that their prospective sex partner had an STD.
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2015-05-08 at 02:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, the material I've been looking at clearly does not say "per year."
    The CDC page YOU linked upthread says that.

We present this as the percent of women who experience an unintended pregnancy within the first year of typical use

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    No, the material I've been looking at clearly does not say "per year." C. Everett Koop, the late surgeon general, claimed they had a 10% failure rate when used correctly and he backed it up. That was back in the 80s and condoms haven't changed that much since then (still made of latex, etc).

The bottom line is, nobody would trust a condom as their means of protection if they knew matter-of-factly that their prospective sex partner had an STD.
    Zealotry, you has it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just did a control-F on that page for "per year" and it came up negative. Better luck next time.

15+ Year Old Account
    ^

On the topic of condom breakage - it's usually quite noticeable - they tend to rip and recoil due to their elasticity and the activity in which they are involved, rather than fissure. So when they do break either a secondary method - secondary active protection, or Plan B - can be used to prevent the 2% annual risk of a break. It doesn't necessarily break after or during orgasm, in which case it can be detected and replaced before continuing - and even when it does, as mentioned - other options are available (secondary protection or Plan B).

Condoms are meant to prevent pregnancy. They also reduce the risk of transferring sexually transmitted diseases - but that is not their primary function. They are highly recommended for reducing the risks of STIs, but they are not a surefire means of prevention (obviously) - nor are they promoted as such.

Organizations like the CDC are more concerned about the macro-scale - pandemics of STIs due to absence of protection (in places like Texas) - than they are with individual cases. Which means if everyone uses protection, the risk of an epidemic is ~eliminated, but obviously individuals are still going to spread STDs/STIs: as far as the CDC or WHO is concerned, that is their definition of winning. For your personal safety though, use protection - but also be aware that there are risks you need to know about and accept before engaging in sex acts. Just like with everything else in life worth doing, there is a risk/reward relationship that requires your personal evaluation.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2015-05-08 at 04:49 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Abstinence........ it doesn't work....
    The researchers also found that pledgers have the same rate of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) as their peers who had not pledged. Not only were pledgers less likely to use condoms to prevent STDs, they were less likely to seek medical testing and treatment, thereby increasing the possibility of transmission
    http://www.siecus.org/index.cfm?fuse...ge&PageID=1195

On the contrary even...... it has hilarious side effects..
    Further research found that, among those young people who have not had vaginal intercourse, pledgers were more likely to have engaged in both oral and anal sex than their non-pledging peers. In fact, among virgins, male and female pledgers were six times more likely to have had oral sex than non-pledgers, and male pledgers were four times more likely to have had anal sex than those who had not pledged.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if Texas will respond by trying to pledge against oral and anal sex, only to discover the popularity of A2M rises exponentially
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    I just did a control-F on that page for "per year" and it came up negative. Better luck next time.
    Is there something wrong with your browser that prevents you from seeing stuff in quote tags? I directly fucking quoted it for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for pointing that out. Some sources say that when used correctly, condoms still have a failure rate of 2%. Assuming that's more accurate when it comes to correct use, would you be okay with having sex with an HIV positive person if you had a condom?
    Yes, it would. Since many in the gay (and straight) communities would do it for someone they loved.

Plus, it's no longer an automatic death sentence. Today's drug cocktails to strengthen the immune system, reduce viral load, and such mean the 80s picture of a purple person wasting away are no longer the norm for people with the disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there something wrong with your browser that prevents you from seeing stuff in quote tags? I directly fucking quoted it for you.
    And I attempted to verify what you quoted from the web page and found no such quote.
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2015-05-09 at 11:25 AM. Reason: grammar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I wonder if Texas will respond by trying to pledge against oral and anal sex, only to discover the popularity of A2M rises exponentially
    I think they lost their sodomy laws within the last 10 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.