View Poll Results: What's the best way to get through flooded streets?

Voters
17. This poll is closed
  • The best way to make it through is build up speed and drive through.

4 23.53%
  • Take your time wen going through puddles inch your way through.

0 0%
  • Make sure you buy the right kinds of tires or lubricate them.

0 0%
  • Other.

13 76.47%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ardanzhan View Post
    Know the depth your car can manage and if absolutely neccessary
    Yeah but I think the depth of the road makes a difference too, and if it slanted, which is why I wonder if there are any tips.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah but I think the depth of the road makes a difference too, and if it slanted, which is why I wonder if there are any tips.
    My tip is perhaps you should take the bus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    My tip is perhaps you should take the bus.
    because floods dont effect bus routes at all....nope. in fact i hear busses are immune to floods.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

you're driving through flooded areas?

dude, free pool?

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    ow mall security...interested in everything, knowledgeable about nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadNeos View Post
    you're driving through flooded areas?

dude, free pool?
    yeah just get some rafts and a beach ball and set up some chairs with towels and some beverages and you have a pool party! diving board optional.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    You find a different route and go around. Water is dangerous here yo, flash floods n shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaftyMcShaft View Post
    Metzen: Magic rainbow ponies.
    Developer 2: Brilliant.
    Metzen: That's why they pay me the big bucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEcf7hl_2n8 that is how you drive through flood water

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah but it's difficult to know where the engine sits too, which is why I wonder if it's just better to just speed through, get enough momentum, instead of getting stuck especially in a car.
    Every car has a depth value that it can handle to be submerged in an still operate. Much like every car has maxium loadbearing capacity for the roof (which is often ignored...). The value varies from car to car, without knowing it you are essentially just playing the lottery.

Amphicars is the solution here

10+ Year Old Account
    Ditch your car and grab a boat. Otherwise find a diffrint route. If you can't turn around and go home (or if you can't get home, find a hotel or a freind/relative's place you can bunk at till it drains)

Probably this.

Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

#1 don't drive through water that is deeper than where the front of your hood ends, or the top of your grill (usually the same place).
    reason: your air intake is about that level. water entering your air intake is what 'floods the engine'

#2 don't stop or slow down, once you start moving through the water.
    reason: stopping or slowing down will let water back up into your exhaust pipe, and will kill your engine.

If you have your exhaust and air intake piped up above water level, generally you can drive through water that can submerge your engine, for a very short period of time. longer if you have ensured all your seals and electronics are protected. (if its an emergency, just slather excessive viscous grease all over everything and pray)

i had an overpass where i grew up, and everytime it rained, it flooded.

everytime it flooded, sedans started piling up because people just 'floored it' and hoped for the best.
    good business for tow trucks though.

- - - Updated - - -

i have no idea what lubricating tires would do in this situation...

Row row row your boat gently down the stream, either that or get your waders on.

Why'd you want to drive through a flood to begin with?

Unless there is an emergency or it's very sudden, I'd say fuck that, I'm staying home today.

Quote Originally Posted by Anevers View Post
    Probably this.
    That is the coolest thing ever!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maulina View Post
    #1 don't drive through water that is deeper than where the front of your hood ends, or the top of your grill (usually the same place).
    reason: your air intake is about that level. water entering your air intake is what 'floods the engine'

#2 don't stop or slow down, once you start moving through the water.
    reason: stopping or slowing down will let water back up into your exhaust pipe, and will kill your engine.

If you have your exhaust and air intake piped up above water level, generally you can drive through water that can submerge your engine, for a very short period of time. longer if you have ensured all your seals and electronics are protected. (if its an emergency, just slather excessive viscous grease all over everything and pray)

i had an overpass where i grew up, and everytime it rained, it flooded.

everytime it flooded, sedans started piling up because people just 'floored it' and hoped for the best.
    good business for tow trucks though.

- - - Updated - - -

i have no idea what lubricating tires would do in this situation...
    Well lubrication like oil and what not repels the water from the tires as you gain momentum and speed, like this.

Notice how the water just repels off the tires.

ok, but that is inches of water.

greased up tires wont provide enough hydrophobic surface to skip a car like a stone though water that is feet deep, unless you are going ludicrous speeds because once your drive wheels lose traction, you immediately slow down and sink.

in that picture, the back wheels are still providing thrust because they are still in contact with the surface, even if they are also skipping intermittently, due to the very shallow depth of the water..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maulina View Post
    ok, but that is inches of water.

greased up tires wont provide enough hydrophobic surface to skip a car like a stone though water that is feet deep, unless you are going ludicrous speeds because once your drive wheels lose traction, you immediately slow down and sink.

in that picture, the back wheels are still providing thrust because they are still in contact with the surface, even if they are also skipping intermittently, due to the very shallow depth of the water..
    Yeah, every little bit helps right pushing the water away if you have to speed through a flooded intersection. Seems to be the most prudent solution even though conventional wisdom might say it's insane.

But I like your advice though, I think that what you said is pretty helpful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't. This post is too short.