Want to go work in UK - need advice

Hi guys,

I, as well as the rest of my family were born and raised in Cape Town South Africa. After a recent retrenchment I've decided this is a good opportunity for me to find a work overseas (something I've always aspired to do) and was wondering if there's anyone knowledgeable reading this that would be able to give some advice and tips on how to go about it.

Some information about myself, I am a 26 year old white male with 5 years work experience in Database Development field working primarily in SQL, however I wouldn't mind pretty much any I.T related job just to get my foot in the door

Deleted
    Best advice is get in touch with someone qualified to help you, a gaming forum is unlikely to be able to provide much help unless there's a needle in the haystack of someone who's been through the process.

For a recommendation: I've done some work for a great company by the name of migreat before - https://www.migreat.com/en/ . They're one of the leading visa application and migration support companies here in the UK and have a solid set of resources on their site as well as a team you can get in touch with who can guide you through the process.

I'm sure there's other companies and government branches of the same idea who you could speak with.

If you're coming over to the UK for a development role we have rapidly booming tech hubs in almost all our major cities as well as one of the most vibrant tech scenes in the world in London so it's definitely a place with potential.

Deleted
    Try your very best not to be Eastern European.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    What, someone has to pick mushrooms and berries!
    khm..khm.....
    Well, most of Baltic workers did move on to different, better jobs, the "hype" of working in various farms around 2000's have passed.

OP, I am willing to bet there are enough job offers, check the internet first. IT usually dont have lack of workplaces

Deleted
    There are a few VISAs you may qualify for. If you have a grandparent from the UK you may qualify for an ancestral VISA. Beyond that you are probably unlikely to qualify for a highly skilled worker VISA (Tier 1), so your best bet would be a Tier 2 skilled VISA. However to get one of these VISAs you'd have to show the potential to earn a wage above the standard market rate. An offer of work by itself would not be sufficient.

Finally if you have any connection to the EU, either through family or partner you could claim an EEA family member VISA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    I swear half the good developers I work with are Eastern European, they have some incredibly amazing tech colleges out there.