Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb A Visual Question: Epic, or fun?

Hello my dear friends of Tyria!

We all love nice visuals, don't we?

Usually MMORPG's do a good job (for the most part) in showing us how creative our fellow designers can be, making amazing armors and weapons for our virtual characters to wear and look cool.

But that raises a question:

What do you like more:
    For you character to look really epic, combining armor sets and weapons for a medieval/fantasy visual, or to simply look "fun", using crazy combinations that may fit, but also look amusing?

Sorry for any english errors! See ya!

I prefer to look epic. Silly combinations break my immersion in the game, though seeing pics of others doing them can be entertaining.

I tend to go with the "epic" approach, as you've defined it. But I don't necessarily go for something that looks "realistic" or whatever. Nor would I get offended if somebody ran by as some giant buff dude with nothing more than a pink loincloth and sunglasses. I'm all for a good laugh.

Depends on what you mean by fun. If you mean the DBZ ridicules looking chars. Or the guys with clown fro's shooting pea shooters / sling shots, then no.

If you mean like your wearing jeans and a tank top and look like an 80s super hero, sure. Between that or epic both are fine. But when you look stupid.. It breaks the immersion a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    nothing better than the all famous mc donald's guy =P or the hobo guy.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

For characters I care about (which ends up being most of them.) I tend to go for a more realistic-medieval look. However, I allot myself some "fun" looks for other characters. (Mainly for my female plate wearers, because it's very hard to make a realistic and good-looking plate set for girls.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sohalia View Post
    For characters I care about (which ends up being most of them.) I tend to go for a more realistic-medieval look. However, I allot myself some "fun" looks for other characters. (Mainly for my female plate wearers, because it's very hard to make a realistic and good-looking plate set for girls.)
    How about this?

http://i.imgur.com/bvdzozE.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality, didn't want to spend 7 transmute charges.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

I go for "rp value" with my armor sets. For example, my thief is a member of the OoW so his armor has several dagger/knives hanging from it and is dyed in the colors of The Order. My Mesmer is a sylvari, so his armor is fairly light/plant looking dyed white, purple, and green(to match his hair, skin, and purple being the mesmer color). My ranger has a much more disheveled/rough look with his armor and it is dyed green, grey, and brown accordingly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually go for more "epic" builds, I suppose. Though I can appreciate the fun/silly setups.

I've been attempting to find "heavy" looking light armor for my elementalist, since I run dual daggers. It just feels like it makes more sense to look a bit more armored if I'm going to be in close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    I usually go for more "epic" builds, I suppose. Though I can appreciate the fun/silly setups.

I've been attempting to find "heavy" looking light armor for my elementalist, since I run dual daggers. It just feels like it makes more sense to look a bit more armored if I'm going to be in close range.
    You mean like this?

Currently the set I have planned for my ele when I hit 80. I have all the pieces, just don't want to waste transmute charges until I have my armor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    You mean like this?
    http://i.imgur.com/fI3OhmY.jpg
    Currently the set I have planned for my ele when I hit 80. I have all the pieces, just don't want to waste transmute charges until I have my armor.
    That looks pretty awesome. The HotW armor is something I had considered.

That's what I'm going for right now. Just need to run SE (or do the PvP track a bit) to get the leggings. I'm not entirely sold on the shoulders and gloves at the moment, so I'm still looking for different ones.

My set is: Acolyte Shoulders, Vigil Chest/Gloves, and HotW Pants/Boots.

I tried to make it like an earth attunement set to match my build.
    Last edited by 4KhazModan; 2015-05-08 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    How about this?

http://i.imgur.com/bvdzozE.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality, didn't want to spend 7 transmute charges.
    Primeval, right? Unfortunately it ends up in the "non-realistic" category for me like most other female plate armors. It's not a fault of the designers, but rather how the skins go around character models. Most of them simply cannot be realistic due to the "plate boobs." I'm just very nit-picky about that detail in videogames. :/ It's not really a BAD thing, to me it's just.. "Oh, this can't be completely realistic, so may as well have fun with it."
    Last edited by Sohalia; 2015-05-09 at 05:59 AM.

To be fair, there's a historical precedent for plate boobs. There were female Roman gladiators, and they did make plate boobs as part of the showmanship of the arena. For that matter, the design was there for the male gladiators as well. So while it's not as practical, it's not unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Sohalia View Post
    Primeval, right? Unfortunately it ends up in the "non-realistic" category for me like most other female plate armors. It's not a fault of the designers, but rather how the skins go around character models. Most of them simply cannot be realistic due to the "plate boobs." I'm just very nit-picky about that detail in videogames. :/ It's not really a BAD thing, to me it's just.. "Oh, this can't be completely realistic, so may as well have fun with it."
    That one doens't really do plate boobs. Both the male and female version have that curve over the lower chest. The upper is relatively flat.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    To be fair, there's a historical precedent for plate boobs. There were female Roman gladiators, and they did make plate boobs as part of the showmanship of the arena. For that matter, the design was there for the male gladiators as well. So while it's not as practical, it's not unheard of.
    Yes, for showmanship. I just can't get into seeing my guardian somehow swinging a hammer or great-sword about when there are plate-breasts in the way. :/ By "not realistic" I didn't intend to imply that it was UNHEARD of, just that it's simply not realistic for use in battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    That one doens't really do plate boobs. Both the male and female version have that curve over the lower chest. The upper is relatively flat.
    Spoiler: 

In the photo you showed yes it looks relatively flat. But like all other female plate armor you're looking at about a C-cup's worth of bulges hindering the movement of your arms should you decide to angle the camera a bit more to the side.

It's just something I happen to be nit-picky about is all, and I know it's not an issue of the designers of the armor, it's just how the game applies armor skins onto models. And of course we can't realistically expect any mmo to really make it so that certain armors change the look of a character's model.

To me, this just makes female plate armor more of a "for fun" thing, so I just go all-out with the fashion on plate wearers. Could I try to be as realistic as possible and ignore the 'bumps?' Sure, I could, but instead I choose to just let myself have some for-fun armored characters instead. Is there something wrong with that? Oo
    Last edited by Sohalia; 2015-05-09 at 11:10 PM.

I hadn't really thought about it before, but I guess I tend towards the more epic side of things. Though my idea of epic might not be other people's idea of epic. I generally just go with what I like for each character.