cheap wireless laptop - TV HDMI streaming options?

Not strictly a Computer-related question, but I figured this would be the best section to ask.

I'm looking for options for streaming between my laptop/pc to TV, mostly for series & movies, possibly for games eventually, but mostly for said series and movies via media player (BS Player usually, if that matters), and honestly I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject, so I'll just provide the information I figure might be important already - I'll try to find out whatever else is needed.
    The house has wireless network setup already for internet, router being in the same room as both the pc and the tv; pc has working wireless, TV is a normal basic flat screen with HDMI slots, not sure on USB entries (not in the house atm and never had a need to use them, can check later if it makes a difference).

I've looked for some information online but most I find is from a couple years ago, so I'm sure prices and options have changed, and being freshly arrived in a different country, and a smallish city at that, I'm not quite able to go into a store and ask detailed questions about it, if any specialty stores even exist around here. My main question is if these kind of setups go for a reasonable price these days, and if there's any cheap, decent options out there. I'm looking for this mostly for convenience of not having to constantly move my laptop across the room and plug/unplug everything a couple times a day, so if it's too expensive, I'll just keep doing that. Only looking for the bare minimum for this kind of usage, really.

Any info is much appreciated, thanks guys!

Have you looked into Chromecast?

- - - Updated - - -

Or, if you want full fledged "its a computer" functionality for your TV, a Chromebit (A stick that features a full-fledged ChromeOS computer)..

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/31/google-chromebit/

or if you also want it to be a laptop.. a Chromebook will do.

I did look into Chromecast, and I was leaning towards going for it at first, but then I read all the descriptions on their website and I got the idea it wouldnt do the trick...
    I just went back and reread it, and it still gives me the idea it can only be used with Chrome, and those select apps and programs - it doesnt mention at all "raw" streaming of plain and simply, whatever is on pc screen (as a HDMI cable would, basically). Would I be able to watch a movie on a random media player, or play WoW, LoL or some other game on my TV? I could be wrong, but I dont see any info about that there at all. That'd be the main thing for me, really.
    Other than that, yeah, Chromecast would be a pretty great option.
    Last edited by pyrogfx; 2015-05-07 at 06:56 AM.

Consider getting a Chromebit or Chromebook, then. Not sure what country you're in, but i can usually pick up a used CHromebook for about 100$ US online, and they play audio and video just fine. I use them at conventions so that panelists can display audio or video and the like. All of the Chromebooks im aware of have HDMI out. And theyre a great little inexpensive laptop to carry with you or just have lying around the house for utility use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something like this? Never used anything like it myself and it's very expensive. Probably are cheaper options around featuring the same idea.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Transmi...xp_grid_pt_0_1

10+ Year Old Account
    Hook existing laptop to TV. Buy wireless keyboard that has a touchpad or other pointing device built-in. profit

Actually found a few quite cheap options on ebay, not a lot of reviews on some, but they're cheap enough that if they arent great, it's not much of a bust... From what I gathered "screen mirroring" seems to be the term for the function i'm mostly looking for, the 2nd one mentions that specifically, tho the other ones also sound like they might do that as well... On a first instinct I'm thinking I might go for that one (tronsmart), but if anyone has any advice, I'm more than happy to hear it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Mirac...=wireless+hdmi
    http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-Mirr...=wireless+hdmi
    http://www.amazon.com/LEMFO-HI763-Mi...=wireless+hdmi

Quote Originally Posted by pyrogfx View Post
    Actually found a few quite cheap options on ebay
    MiraCast requires Windows 8.1 and "WiFi Direct" compatible wireless network adapter. And it supposedly has too big lag that it can't be used for realtime gaming but it should work for simple video streaming.

Just came back from a local PC store, all they had was chromecast, and pointed out there's a (currently tagged as "experimental") chrome extension called Google Cast that lets you basically broadcast your whole screen. Saw a few videos of it, and there's a little of a delay between pc and TV (1~2 seconds) which makes it unsuitable for gaming, but still great for movies and such (which was the main goal, either way). Kinda considering it as a solution now, given the lack of good luck in finding decent alternatives...