10+ Year Old Account

Blood mastery change

*Mastery: Blood Shield's Physical damage absorption shield from Death Strike now also counts as having an active mitigation effect active.*

Could someone explain in a very simple matter exactly what this means, I know I know, I'm dumb but my brain just can't process what this means lol.
    Thanks for any feedback, cheers!
    Here come the Irish.

Deleted
    The wording of the change is weird, having the blood shield absorb on you pretty much always counted as having AM. That was the reason Ra-den sucked because he could melee swing off your shield and then do his Fatal Strike that instakilled you without AM up.

On PTR right now they've added http://ptr.wowdb.com/spells/180612-r...-death-striked that gives you a 3 second buff after DSing which is a much better solution.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't know what it means either, because as far as I was aware, at least using MoP content as an example, it already worked like that.

It obviously wasn't ideal, but I remember tanking paragons of the klaxxi and if you didn't have blood shield up parasites would 100% start shooting out of your ass. Ra-den was technically possible to be tanked as blood, but hardly anybody did it as his swing timer wasn't 100% accurate, he hit hard, and if you didn't have blood shield up you would basically get 1 shot.

I know the bird boss in Skyreach that requires AM counts both blood shield and rune tap as AM, as well.

So not really sure sure what that means because as far as I'm aware, most of the encounters that do have checks for tank AM being up already use blood shield.

Edit: The above post seems to have solved the puzzling wording. I assume that the new debuff or buff mentioned in the above post is just a safety net for AM when considering blood shield. Good change I suppose.

Deleted
    All it means is If you have the absorb from Blood Shield active when an attack lands that requires Active Mitigation it will count the Blood Shield as AM is present.

Abilities such as; Ra-Den's Fatal Strike, Skyreach Bird Boss' Pierce Armor and Kilrogg Deadeye's Shred Armor.

Deleted
    From what I understand it'll make Blood Shield work on mechanics like Oregorgers Acid Torrent and decrease the dmg it deals to the raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanj View Post
    From what I understand it'll make Blood Shield work on mechanics like Oregorgers Acid Torrent and decrease the dmg it deals to the raid.
    It already does no? If disc shields and guard work surely physical absorbs will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanj View Post
    Ok no. You don't understand.

Oregorger isn't based on Active Mitigation. That is literally based on damage taken by target who got hit then does X% based on that to the raid.

This is for the new bosses that have mechanics like Kilrogg: Does a cast that does X dmg and applies a 40% damage taken debuff if you didn't use active mitigation. Debuff stacks.(Basically shit tanks will die)
    Mannaroth has a Double puncture move that if either hits un mitigated puts a 80k per sec dot on you for 10 sec.

That is what this is for. If we didn't have this we would have to HAVE blood shield up and have it absorb portions of these hits or else we die/get the debuffs. Now we have a 3sec window(equal to the other tanks, obviously warriors is a little higher duration per cast and same with monks if used at higher than 3 EB stacks, but still equal to other tanks for mechanics as such)

Deleted
    Pretty nice QoL change, too bad it could've been used 2 years ago.

Isn't this change redundant? I thought our Mastery already counted as active mitigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscripts View Post
    Isn't this change redundant? I thought our Mastery already counted as active mitigation.
    No?

Our blood shield while it is up counts yes, but like Ra-Dan and why DKs were shit with mechanics like this. This is why even if Blood Shield falls off we can still "mitigate" these. As my post above says reason why we got this. Because of how the new bosses mechanics that need mitigation up for do if you don't.

The DK design team has been replaced by Llamas...
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

If i recall correctly we now have 3 ways of "Having Mitigation up":

1. Rune Tap
    2. Recently Death Striked
    3. Blood Shield

Pretty cool actually.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnogga View Post
    If i recall correctly we now have 3 ways of "Having Mitigation up":

1. Rune Tap
    2. Recently Death Striked
    3. Blood Shield

Pretty cool actually.
    IBF counts too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean137 View Post
    IBF counts too.
    And t17 4set VB

Ra-den HYPE... oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean137 View Post
    IBF counts too.
    IBF does not count. Tested this yesterday on Kilrogg.

Blood shield being up already acted as active mitigation.

For example that giant bird boss in Skyreach puts the armor debuff on you without active mit up. So if you death strike while he's casting it, it won't apply to you.

But since it only counts as having active mitigation up while blood shield is UP so if you get hit by an attack that depletes your blood shield, game says you have no active mitigation up so that bird will apply the armor debuff to you. The change gives DKs a 3 second grace period where they are treated as having active mitigation up after a death strike whether the blood shield is still there or not.

In effect, it is a pretty big buff for certain encounters. For most of the game it doesn't matter much.

Fights like Ra-den, Dissector from the Klaxxi, 3rd boss in Skyreach, these are the kinds of places this change will matter as well as any future encounters that require active mitigation being up to avoid some mechanic. Most likely there will be a boss fight in the new raid that has such a mechanic and they made this change so DK's don't just get shit on.

All in all, good change.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.