Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    So I get called today on my home phone (which is rare these days) and I hear a woman tell me some stange story in broken English.

I really couldn't make heads or tails of it because of how bad the English was but it was appearently about my windows (I use Apples lol) and something about my bank account. I just hung up and laughed

The question for me is: do people actually fall for this?
    My father, who's not a regular internetgoer, has on several occassions called to me about certain spam emails to verify with me if they're real or not and I wouldn't call my father an idiot. Some of these spam things can be quite convincing.

When scammers call on the phone, it's often the weakwilled (which doesnt mean stupid) and the elderly (who are often weakwilled) that get overwhelmed by the scammer to signing into the scam.
    To those that aren't technically savvy and haven't grown up with the internet, scams like these can appear real and convincing.

I'm a bit of a weakwilled person when it comes to being confronted in person, so one door-to-door scammer got me once, because I was simply overwhelmed and incapable of reflecting on it until afterwards.
    Scamming is an art and some people are really, really good at it. Others, not so good at it.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2015-05-07 at 05:46 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have not heard from my rich royal uncle in Nigeria in a long time, I do hope he is ok.

I never got a (fake) windows support call, but I am sure it might be amusing. I do wonder how much abuse they are willing to take before they hang up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looorg View Post
    I never got a (fake) windows support call, but I am sure it might be amusing. I do wonder how much abuse they are willing to take before they hang up.
    I got two. I didn't pick up on one of them. The second time I did but I didn't think to have fun with them. I just said "as a software engineer I know there is no such as thing as "Microsoft Windows Technical Support hotline"

My grandmother fell for a telephone scam. I was away at college and someone had claimed over the phone that I was arrested and required bail money. My grandmother isn't a very quick thinker.

I love these phone calls. Little do they know I am an server admin at my current job with a BA in computer forensics. It's great keeping them on the line toying with them. Acting all scared that something is wrong and I play along. About a few minutes into the phone call I have made my way to a computer, pick some really loud death metal music, crank it up and hold the phone right next to the speaker.

Just so people don't think I am a complete ass, if your a telemarketer I politely tell ya no or just hang up. I only fuck with the scammers.
    Signature made by Gamelol-MMO-C

10+ Year Old Account
    My freaking mom fell for one of those lottery scams. So yes, sadly people do fall for this kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
    My grandmother fell for a telephone scam. I was away at college and someone had claimed over the phone that I was arrested and required bail money. My grandmother isn't a very quick thinker.
    I heard that scam going around so one time when I was with my grandma I told her about it and said most likely it would be a scam.. She responded with "son if I ever get a call for bail money forget it, Your ass is staying in jail"....thanks granny
    Signature made by Gamelol-MMO-C

The best phone scams involve older people who have grandkids that are in their late teens. They just figure out the name of the person, and they call the grandma pretending to be them. They say they're in trouble, to not talk to his parents because they'll be mad, but he's in jail and needs bailed out, he was being stupid and got caught and doesn't want his parents to know. They get the elderly person to wire money to an account, and they think they're helping their family member out, when in actuality it's all a scam.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__