Thread: Skill?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    You dont need skill to play a game... you need skills to raise a kid or build a house.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    You dont need skill to play a game... you need skills to raise a kid or build a house.
    Stupid analogy. The only difference is that the cost of failure for one is far greater, that doesn't mean you don't need skill to perform well. If you fail chess, nobody dies. Does that mean the game has no skill?

The OP is correct, I just believe that the game requires a lot more hard work and practice for some than it does for others. There is a level of focus required to perform a 99.9% correct dps rotation and simultaneously navigate an encounter without a single mistake to mechanics. That level of focus is higher for some, and can be adjusted for an individual with external factors such as dehydration, amount of sleep, etc. as well as the amount of experience that individual has. That is to say, regardless of the 'natural talent' factor, an individual can make up for lack of practice on a certain encounter by having more experience and not waking up 15 mins before the raid starts :P

And yes, contrary to what some may say, I strongly believe that any individual assuming they are 100% healthy can train and hone their reactions and awareness, albeit with a LOT of hard work for some. There are plenty of IRL examples of this. Skills considered 'natural talent' for some can be trained and improved by others considered lacking. However, for most, it boils down to how much work they are willing to put into something that is supposed to be fun and relaxing above all.

The other point worth mentioning, which some have sort of touched on, is the idea that no matter how good you think you are there is ALWAYS someone better. Most elitists I have met in this game have thought they were amazing at the game, but seemingly none of them have ever raided for a top 10 guild. I have always played by this mantra when it comes to the way i treat others. I don't shit on people who have less skill or experience than myself, just the same as i wouldn't like to be treated like shit by someone better than myself. It's a lesson a lot of players ought to learn before criticising others just for an ego boost. The players who are better than you can teach you a lot, and the players who are worse than you might some day improve and take your place.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    As a father of two children who sucks at a great many games, no. Just no.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankzor View Post
    Skill?
    Given Collision’s (our dear warrior simcraft editor and theorycrafter) story of Jalopy going from being one of the worst fury warriors he’d ever seen in Patch 5.0 to raiding in Duality,
    Haha when did Collision say that!