Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Does Humanity Crave the Dictator?

Is it human nature to want a dictator? Its not an uncommon opinion to hear, many cynical people or people who truly believe this sentiment state that we need someone like that over an "incompetent" democracy.

I am of the opposite opinion, mostly because I studied history and few people ever lived up to a dictator that would be beneficial to the people, a benevolent dictator. Also many would be great leaders only to be replaced by incompetent heirs.

What is your opinion?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Is it human nature to want a dictator? Its not an uncommon opinion to hear, many cynical people or people who truly believe this sentiment state that we need someone like that over an "incompetent" democracy.

I am of the opposite opinion, mostly because I studied history and few people ever lived up to a dictator that would be beneficial to the people, a benevolent dictator. Also many would be great leaders only to be replaced by incompetent heirs.

What is your opinion?
    Maybe we program the perfect dictator AI. Then I'm all in for a robot dictator as absolute ruler.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brayne View Post
    Maybe we program the perfect dictator AI. Then I'm all in for a robot dictator as absolute ruler.
    Robot Nixon 3000?

Looking at the chaos that is America, I'm going to say no.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

What is your opinion?
    Hardly anything is "human nature".

I also don't think that people really want a dictator. After all, they're constantly obsessed with living in "freedom", having their dumb opinions, invoking their "rights" and sticking it to the man. They just end up living in heteronomies because they're stupid, lazy and fearful.

In times of great uncertainty and lack of stability I can assure you that people want a dictator. But, when things get better and more stable people tend to lean more towards democracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing humanity craves is my soft dick-tator.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    The only thing humanity craves is my soft dick-tator.
    Shepard...shepard....shepard....

What is your opinion?
    Anyone who craves dictator obviously failed History

This sounds familiar ...

You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Deleted
    Being ruled by a dictator would be very Aladeen.

Maybe when a large number of people are desperate enough, in whatever circumstances, to want a policy change that is championed by someone aspiring to be a 'dictator', though that would be more like accepting such rule as a necessary evil rather than really wanting someone in a position of absolute power.

What is your opinion?
    A benevolent monarch is superior to democracy in pretty much every way. Literally the only fault of the system is that once the monarch is dead you can be fucked. It might be possible to set up a system of succession that isn't based on heredity that might be able to make it a non-issue.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

10+ Year Old Account
    I think so. I think we are designed to look toward a central authority (God).

Loki's speech hit on this, but his lines were intended as an atheistic rant. He's no different than Q in Star Trek in this regard... a character designed to demonstrate why those who have God are foolish to non-believers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    A benevolent monarch is superior to democracy in pretty much every way. Literally the only fault of the system is that once the monarch is dead you can be fucked.
    Yup, and the only advantage of representative democracies is that they spread out the power so much that no one person or group of people can totally screw over the people. The costs of that safety are the gross inefficiencies associated with power being spread around to so many people. This is pretty much the basis for small gov't conservatism.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi256 View Post
    Yup, and the only advantage of representative democracies is that they spread out the power so much that no one person or group of people can totally screw over the people. The costs of that safety are the gross inefficiencies associated with power being spread around to so many people. This is pretty much the basis for small gov't conservatism.
    And yet we have the rich screwing over everyone else in the United States and many other countries.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

And yet we have the rich screwing over everyone else in the United States and many other countries.
    And yet when you compare us to Saudi Arabia, we don't look so bad!

edit: and those awful, nasty rich people are still paying the vast plurality of the tax burden...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brayne View Post
    What is perfect? Be careful what you wish for.

Deleted
    I'm going to agree that humans are likely to favor strong leaders. If you are to take order from someone, you're not going to be happy about it if you don't respect your leader or boss.
    If you feel your boss is adequate at his job, then you are more likely to be happy about taking work-related orders from him, than if you thought him unskilled (weak) in his job position.

You don't need a dictator to have a strong leader. In a democracy you can have both leaders who are strong and leaders who are weak. In political parties being "strong" is mostly relevant as in how much support the leader has from the party members. A weak leader with a lack of support will not be able to create policies, whereas a strong leader will have the party's support to go through with creating new policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I think so. I think we are designed to look toward a central authority (God).

Loki's speech hit on this, but his lines were intended as an atheistic rant. He's no different than Q in Star Trek in this regard... a character designed to demonstrate why those who have God are foolish to non-believers.
    After all, no one is more dictatorish than "god".

Deleted
    Well when you only have two viable parties I guess it's a legit business move to buy out the members of both parties.

It's harder to buy out politicians when new parties can easily emerge, take mandates from the old parties and thus become relevant, if the old parties fuck up too much.