Thread: GPU upgrade.

GPU upgrade.

I've been running a GTX 650 ti GPU for a couple years and it's starting to die on me.

I have around $200-$240 to spend on a new one, and I've been looking really hard at the GTX 960 4GB from EVGA (EVGA 04G-P4-3966-KR GeForce GTX 960 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card) as a replacement, but I'm not sure if it would be overkill with the 4 GB, as I don't really play top end AAA games. I do like my games looking nice, though. I'd read some people say it takes strain off the CPU. Would this affect World of Warcraft?

My mobo is an ASRock Z75 Pro3, CPU is i5-3570K and I have 8 gigs of RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stibbs View Post
    I've been running a GTX 650 ti GPU for a couple years and it's starting to die on me.

I have around $200-$240 to spend on a new one, and I've been looking really hard at the GTX 960 4GB from EVGA (EVGA 04G-P4-3966-KR GeForce GTX 960 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card) as a replacement, but I'm not sure if it would be overkill with the 4 GB, as I don't really play top end AAA games. I do like my games looking nice, though. I'd read some people say it takes strain off the CPU. Would this affect World of Warcraft?

My mobo is an ASRock Z75 Pro3, CPU is i5-3570K and I have 8 gigs of RAM.
    Yes, the 4GB is overkill. For what the card can handle(which is generally more than people give it credit for) the 2GB is fine. Taking the strain off the CPU may happen once DX12 hits, though you'll need Windows 10. I am pretty sure the whole 9xx series supports DX12.

Hmmm, okay. Glad I didn't needlessly drop the extra cash. I had forgotten to mention, but I have a 450 watt psu. Will this be enough power, or should I consider getting some moar power?

Hmmm, okay. Glad I didn't needlessly drop the extra cash. I had forgotten to mention, but I have a 450 watt psu. Will this be enough power, or should I consider getting some moar power?
    The 960 does not use a whole lot of power so it should be enough. As long as your PSU has the 8-pin connector for it.

Just checked, I have some 6 pins, and two 4 pin connectors, but the two 4 pins are in the MOBO. I'll check around for a new one. Thanks for the help!! =D

Just checked, I have some 6 pins, and two 4 pin connectors, but the two 4 pins are in the MOBO. I'll check around for a new one. Thanks for the help!! =D
    this is pretty much my go to PSU:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-pow...ply-p1550bbefx

However, right now, since NCIX is out of stock and newegg has a promo on the 650W. this is actually cheaper right now:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-pow...ply-p1650bbefx