10+ Year Old Account

Top federal court rules against NSA's phone records program

It's about time: http://thehill.com/policy/technology...st-nsa-program

A federal court has decided that the National Security Agency’s bulk, warrantless collection of millions of Americans’ phone records is illegal.

The sweeping decision from the Second Circuit Court of Appeals on Thursday represents a major court victory for opponents of the NSA and comes just as Congress begins a fight over whether to renew the underlying law used to justify the program.

That program “exceeds the scope of what Congress has authorized,” Judge Gerard Lynch wrote on behalf of the three-judge panel.
    We'll see what comes of it, but this is a good first step in limiting the NSA's authority to conduct mass surveillance of U.S. citizens.

I can't see the NSA's reach as anything but Orwellian. I'm glad to see there are at least some in positions of power who agree.

About damn time. I hope this extends to citizens of other countries... but I doubt it.

Meanwhile in canada C51 is to become law.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    About damn time. I hope this extends to citizens of other countries... but I doubt it.
    most definitely not.
    It should extend to allies though.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

The NSA exists to spy on other countries and their citizens, not US citizens - which is exactly why this has been a big issue here. Of course the courts aren't going to care about them spying on the *insert nationality*, that's what they do.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    most definitely not.
    It should extend to allies though.
    countries don't have allies

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    tell me more
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Countrys can marry.

The NSA has little reason to 'disappear' citizens of other countries for simply disagreeing with the US government.

US citizens, however, have a little more to fear from disagreeing with the government when all of their communications are being monitored and collected.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    tell me more
    More of what? Who should we not spy on? Britain, Israel, Germany? All of them could be enemies one day

10+ Year Old Account
    More of what? Who should we not spy on? Britain, Israel, Germany? All of them could be enemies one day
    And if they were, we'd be screwed. The NSA fails at spying in America's interest - it's far too busy finding out what Chancellor Merkel had for breakfast, or snooping on some contractor's crush. When it comes to events that might actually be relevant to national security, things like the Russian seizure of Crimea, ISIS' invasion if Iraq, or the collapse of Yemen, the NSA reliably misses them.

U.S. surveillance state missed Russia’s Crimea plans
    Jihadist Gains in Iraq Blindside American Spies
    The collapse of Yemen's government took the US totally by surprise

And that's without getting into how thoroughly the NSA fails the other half of its mission - protecting US communications.

State Dept computers hacked, email shut down
    REPORT: Russia hacked the White House
    Chinese hacked U.S. military contractors: Senate panel

The only thing the NSA "succeeds" at is making everyone's online communications less safe.

I have plenty of political gripes about the NSA and how and what it does; but above and beyond those is the simple fact that it is incompetent (in additional to being criminal).
    Last edited by ringpriest; 2015-05-07 at 09:36 PM.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

I'd probably be more enthusiastic if I thought the NSA had anything other than complete disregard for laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'd probably be more enthusiastic if I thought the NSA had anything other than complete disregard for laws.
    Pretty much this. Secret warrant courts and a blatant disregard of quite a bit of everything in the name of 'GOTTA STOP DEM TERRORISTS' leaves me less than thrilled with the news, especially since almost no federal level politician seems to be willing to even try to do something about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.