Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I used to hate getting socks, sweaters, jackets, etc. Me and my siblings would make fun of the relatives, usually the older ones who would get us that stuff instead of cool things.

Now I'm like "Socks? Ka-ching!"

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    I used to get money from my dad that I could only spend when I visited him. He lived in another country and my mum hated him, so I didn't go often. Always thought it was a bit shit since it wasn't exactly my choice. Don't think I ever reclaimed those gifts, must be 10 Christmases and birthdays worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I used to hate getting socks, sweaters, jackets, etc. Me and my siblings would make fun of the relatives, usually the older ones who would get us that stuff instead of cool things.

Now I'm like "Socks? Ka-ching!"
    I've always been pretty happy to get socks and underwear as gifts, it saves me the trouble of buying them and ensures I'll always have enough.

Probably the weirdest birthday present I've gotten was a gyroscope. It was among a few more standard gifts, but still odd. Basically, there were a couple stores near my dad's work that sold weird knick-knacks or little sciency gizmos.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mykro9 View Post
    Is this one of those humblebrags where you mention that not only can you afford a $2400 chess set, but ALSO have enough money to not give a shit and play with the same set, since it's only money? IF I could afford a $2400 chess set, it would be for display only, and I would play with a much cheaper set.
    I don't necessarily agree with spending $2400 on a chess set, whether I could afford it or not, but I'm not sure I understand your point of buying it if you could but not using it for anything but display? If I save money for something I really want, why deny myself the pleasure of using it?

On topic though, my sister once gave me an empty champagne bottle in which she had threaded cigarettes on a piece of string (about 2 packs worth). She had then painted the bottle and wooden case it was in as a Camel packet. Was an interesting gift, nonetheless so as our younger brother didn't know I smoked and my parents had told me I'd be in serious shit if he found out and started because of me...

Deleted
    when I was a kid my dad was on a trip to Scotland and he wanted to get me the millenium falcon for christmas.. Yup the original big ass one.. He did buy it for me, however he didn´t notice it was some sort of special edition 6 billion part glue it together yourself model. I was 8.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshorts View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with spending $2400 on a chess set, whether I could afford it or not, but I'm not sure I understand your point of buying it if you could but not using it for anything but display? If I save money for something I really want, why deny myself the pleasure of using it?

On topic though, my sister once gave me an empty champagne bottle in which she had threaded cigarettes on a piece of string (about 2 packs worth). She had then painted the bottle and wooden case it was in as a Camel packet. Was an interesting gift, nonetheless so as our younger brother didn't know I smoked and my parents had told me I'd be in serious shit if he found out and started because of me...
    It's a similar concept to people who collect bottles of expensive alcohol, such as King Louis XIII cognac. It costs thousands for a bottle, but you'd never drink it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

Well I've been dumped twice on my birthday, first time because I didn't want to see The Crystal Skull film when it was released.

And while not my birthday I did once get a Deer Skull with antlers as an Easter present from my Grandmother if that counts as strange, which it does as I don't live in a castle or anywhere similar where I could hang such a thing.

I have other weird gifts. 2 Years ago my sister got me a speedo. I wore it to the beach 5-6 times each summer and its actually been great. I flirt with my uncles friends who are older women and they get me drunk for free. I did yoga and headstands on the beach when I was really drunk and got ~100 people to clap for me when I finished, it was very weird.

My friend just got another friend a "fat bitch" blow up doll. He tied it to the back of his jeep and has drove around with it the past 2 days.

My mom also bought me a lockpick set when I was 15. Probably the coolest thing ive ever got. Never broke into anywhere with it but I can pop most locks now. Ive been called a few times when family or friends get locked out of their house. Cant open cars with it unfortunately.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    It's a similar concept to people who collect bottles of expensive alcohol, such as King Louis XIII cognac. It costs thousands for a bottle, but you'd never drink it.
    You ever think about buying a few bottles of wine or something now, and somehow keeping it for 30 years? Im trying to convince a few friends to do it with me so we can drink it at our kids weddings or something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    I buy roughly one bottle of whisky a year that costs over £400, and I drink them all. Granted I won't drink them if I've drunk anything else that evening so as to ruin my enjoyment of it but I don't see the point in buying it to have it sitting on the shelf. Life is for living after all and you can't take money with you when you go.

You ever think about buying a few bottles of wine or something now, and somehow keeping it for 30 years? Im trying to convince a few friends to do it with me so we can drink it at our kids weddings or something.
    Only problem with that is you have to be fairly confident the wine you buy now is going to last 30 years in terms of quality. If it interests you, there are alternative investment companies out there that offer wine investment and have bonded warehouses where any wine you buy to keep (either for investment resale or later consumption) is stored and only accessible if you mandate it.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshorts View Post
    Only problem with that is you have to be fairly confident the wine you buy now is going to last 30 years in terms of quality. If it interests you, there are alternative investment companies out there that offer wine investment and have bonded warehouses where any wine you buy to keep (either for investment resale or later consumption) is stored and only accessible if you mandate it.
    I didn't know that was a thing. Im totally going to do that.

It wasn't a present, but i once got a Boob cake. Yep it was a cake in the shape of boobs + nipples.

Quote Originally Posted by mykro9 View Post
    Is this one of those humblebrags where you mention that not only can you afford a $2400 chess set, but ALSO have enough money to not give a shit and play with the same set, since it's only money? IF I could afford a $2400 chess set, it would be for display only, and I would play with a much cheaper set.
    No, just a description. I wouldn't dare play with it, it's discontinued and irreplaceable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I used to get money from my dad that I could only spend when I visited him. He lived in another country and my mum hated him, so I didn't go often. Always thought it was a bit shit since it wasn't exactly my choice. Don't think I ever reclaimed those gifts, must be 10 Christmases and birthdays worth.
    Why not change currency at the bank?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeppio View Post
    I've always been pretty happy to get socks and underwear as gifts, it saves me the trouble of buying them and ensures I'll always have enough.
    Underwear is far too personal unless from your SO. Dads don't buy bras and lingerie for daughters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrealius View Post
    And while not my birthday I did once get a Deer Skull with antlers as an Easter present from my Grandmother if that counts as strange, which it does as I don't live in a castle or anywhere similar where I could hang such a thing.
    Geez, something similar (a demonic depiction) from an old movie gave me nightmares for ages.

My sister got me underwear in a can. Yup just as it sounds. She about died laughing when I opened it up. I think she thought it was funnier then me.

Signature made by Gamelol-MMO-C

10+ Year Old Account
    got a present of some sunscreen and was told that if i didnt start using it i would get skin cancer.

i didn't use it. i worry every day now.
    Hi