Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody celebrates the end of World War II, they remember the lives lost in it. I recognize the distinction may be hard to understand, but perhaps one day - with luck - those that are confused by it will no longer be so.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

The main reason that WW1 isn't as commemorated anymore is simply because WW2 exists. Both World Wars had immense ramifications around the entire world, many of which are still felt today, but with WW2 being the most recent, it's more stuck in the minds of each nation.

WW2 was the first war that was properly documented at the time. We had live reports, video, pictures and much more. It's far more poignant in our minds, and it will be for a very, very long time. World War 2 was used by all the Allies as a marketing plan. The US, UK, France, Russia, all of the other nations that formed the Allies used their success to remind the rest of the world of how great they are.

Because of that, it stuck a lot more with the older generations who've now got children and grandchildren of their own. Given another 30 years, and I think we'll see the events toned down, but they won't disappear. Once all the WW2 veterans are gone then there'll be less 'reason' for each nation to host such events, even though I don't agree with that.

Also, should WW3 arrive, just as how it turned out with WW1, WW2 will fade into memory, and WW3 would become the major conflict we all remember solemnly.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Nobody celebrates the end of World War II, they remember the lives lost in it. I recognize the distinction may be hard to understand, but perhaps one day - with luck - those that are confused by it will no longer be so.
    There really is not need to be that pedantic. It's pretty clear what people mean by "World War 2 Celebrations"...

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    In the Netherlands we remember the lives lost on it on the 4th(although also people lost in recent wars these days) and on the 5th we celebrate the end of it but also celebrate the freedom we have. So there is no confusion people do celebrate it. I dont know about the other countries but the Netherlands will keep these days for a long time although the WW2 will share more and more with recent events when it comes to honoring the people that died for our freedom and celebrating that freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    Same reason people celebrate the abolishing of slavery or the quirky americans independence thingy, doesn't matter if people alive now by majority were not around then...
    You think we're quirky? Check out the Canadians...they drive cars with square wheels...

Is this specific to Europeans? Aside from Veterans Day and Memorial Day (which apply to soldiers involved in many wars), I have never participated in the celebration of WW2's ending.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    Which country celebrates WW2 ??? you mean celebrations as fireworks and shit or celebrations as history lessons .
    quiz question:
    What country celebrates Victory Day with Fireworks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I think you are talking about the Battle of the Bulge, late European-theatre WWII history isn't really my thing.
    No, I was talking about the entire counter offense against the invasion on a broad scale.
    The US has a track record of hiding the truth when it comes to unflattering events. They try to shield their troops from negative news, to not get the morals in danger.
    No greater enemy than your own disheartened troops faltering.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/30977039/n.../#.VU94U5OS-8A
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Some places still commemorate the lives lost in WW1 daily.
    In Ypres in Belgium there's the "Last Post" that takes place at 20:00 and has been held every single day since 1927.
    It's there mainly as a thanks to the people who risked their lives to save the town of Menen.