Arrow Uplifting Vs Artificial Intelligence

Okay, I bring up uplifting a lot, as I believe it is also in a way a part of transhumanism. However, artificial intelligence is brought up A LOT on this forum (people here want their advanced robots I guess...). So why not compare and contrast them, as artificial intelligence has been around as a premise for an extremely long time in science fiction and modern science, but uplifting is relatively new in the sense that it has a title and has become much more popular in a term.

7+ Year Old Account
    I did some brief googling, do you mean like making super intelligent chimps and gorillas?
    Weird Al - I never feed trolls and I don't read spam
    Galen Hallcyon - The internet has shown us that everyone is a fuckin' moron.

Deleted
    Dont rehash your own threads over and over again

15+ Year Old Account
    I think bestowing intelligence far greater than our own to thing that we can't control is a horrible idea, whether that thing is biological or a computer doesn't matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I think bestowing intelligence far greater than our own to thing that we can't control is a horrible idea, whether that thing is biological or a computer doesn't matter.
    The whole lifeform thing is a whole different mess and far more ethically twisted.

Because we could is a shitty argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Dont rehash your own threads over and over again
    Then don't rehash artificial intelligence threads over and over again

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Then don't rehash artificial intelligence threads over and over again
    You are obsessed with a stupid concept.

AI is fundamentally usefull and ethical the uplifting bullshit not.

You are obsessed with a stupid concept.

AI is fundamentally usefull and ethical the uplifting bullshit not.
    1. Be polite. 2. The more I think about it, the more I actually think that uplifting IS artificial intelligence. Think about it, think about how both share the same idea, but uplifting deals with biological aspects. 3. A.I is not more useful than uplifting, you may try to find reasons, but most of those reasons could also describe why the concept of uplifting is useful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    1. Be polite. 2. The more I think about it, the more I actually think that uplifting IS artificial intelligence. Think about it, think about how both share the same idea, but uplifting deals with biological aspects. 3. A.I is not more useful than uplifting, you may try to find reasons, but most of those reasons could also describe why the concept of uplifting is useful.
    This is already the polite version.

Of cource AI is more usefull we can do what we want with it as long as it is not sentinent.

This is already the polite version.

Of cource AI is more usefull we can do what we want with it as long as it is not sentinent.
    Even if it is sentient, we could still potentially do whatever we wanted, because we could simply program them to not possess the capabilities to rebel and/or even just shut them off if they ever were to get to the point of rebellion. Also, sentient wouldn't equate to being as intelligent as a human, many animals are sentient, but we are sapient, we possess technological capabilities that are beyond most other species that actively make tools (Apes, Dolphins and Honey Badgers; yes honey badgers are one of the few non-primates to use tools). Are other animals sapient or at least semi-sapient? Possibly, dolphins maybe, bonobo maybe, chimps maybe, as these species possess a 'language' and culture.

However, I'm simply saying that it wouldn't be wrong to employ both concepts...

Deleted
    How many times did you watch planet of the ape?

How many times did you watch planet of the ape?
    Which movie? But no seriously, I dislike the general premise if that we uplift another species, then they'll just want to destroy that. That is what is called the Frankenstein Fear, which is the reason why we have much historical science fiction involving rebellion from robots, parahumans, etc. I don't see them just automatically wanting to destroy us and even then, shouldn't they be thankful that we did create them?

I have to say that the potential for uplifting could be cheaper in the long run, I mean look at our oceans. We are still finding information about the ocean and we struggle to take care of it as is. We could build machines and robots to monitor marine species and determine the levels of species that need to be fished and maintained, but that would cost money, money which could cost millions of dollars for the creation and possibly a few million more to maintain regularly. However, if we just gave a few human genes, gene enhancers and regulators to a few hundred bottlenose and orcas, sure it would obviously cost money, although once it's done, it's still pretty much done.

Maybe I'm just spit-balling, but that's just one idea I have. Be free to comment on my concept and even place an opinion on how A.Is could benefit us specifically.

Why not just work on Cybernetics? Give me a shell I can be a ghost in.

I'm pretty certain that if you given right tools to some species and could interpret their actions right you would find that they are already quite intelligent. Most of our brain deals with monkey society stuff anyway.

But taking them to human level and reinterpreting our civilization to them would be a lot of work, and result would probably not be self-sustainable - you would need to keep working on them constantly and replace broken tools to keep them "civilized".