Headset mode vs surround sound mode with 7.1 headset

This has bothered me for a while, in certain games there is headphone/set mode available along side surround sound mode for example GTA V. I have a Logitech G930 which has "artificial" 7.1 surround sound so which option do I choose?

Cheers.

always leave it on surround sound mode, the G930 sounds awful in non-surround sound mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrashaholic View Post
    so which option do I choose?
    Try it out for yourself and use the one that sounds better.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrashaholic View Post
    I have a Logitech G930 which has "artificial" 7.1 surround sound
    Almost all "7.1" headphones are faked with DSP and have just two speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    always leave it on surround sound mode, the G930 sounds awful in non-surround sound mode.
    It's not the headset button I know that it's the in game option

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else know anything?

Just try it out and use whatever sounds best. All audio gear is highly subjective and the only person that can tell what are the right settings for you is you.

Deleted
    Headphone mode is intended for Stereo headphones without any virtualization. It means that the game itself will attempt to perform directional virtualization.

If you set it to surround mode, the game uses multiple sound channels (rear & front) - and its up to your sound device to merge them properly.

Generally, your equipment should have a better idea of how it should manage multiple channels for good surround - than the game how it should manipulate the sound output to generate accurate surround on your equipment.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2015-05-11 at 02:32 PM.